Is the field of Aerospace Engineering (and more specifically Astronautical Engineering) about to experience a huge boom...

Is the field of Aerospace Engineering (and more specifically Astronautical Engineering) about to experience a huge boom? It seems like public interest in flight is increasing thanks to companies like SpaceX, Blue Origin, and Virgin Galactic. Are we actually beginning to see a resurgence in the interest of aviation and space exploration?

Will we see something resembling a Computer Science boom or is Astronautics just a passing fad?

They need clients. So no. It is a bubble.

clients exist and they go for whatever is cheapest

Depends. If those companies actually achieve something significant I can see it. But as it is now no.

There are tons of clients out there. You have crazy Russian and Chinese billionaires wanting to send giant lasers on the orbit so they can fire probes at Alpha Centauri and other shit like that. You have people wanting to mine Moon and Asteroids. You have people wanting to put private telescopes in space.

It was impossible when every start cost 500 million $ now it's becoming possible.

Musk already lowered to price to 1/5 of what it was. How the shit is this not significant?

Let's maybe internationally decide whether we even want the moon mined as a species before we simply let hypercapitalists set off on a mission there.

You mean nasa did.
The funding is coming almost solely from the government. There's only so much to go around.

NASA calculated themselves that they would need 20x more funds than SpaceX to do the same thing.

Government run stuff is a joke. Always was.

Like China would listen. The moment it becomes profitable people will mine it.

We already decided that, nations wont do shit, but companies have complete free reign in space

That's literally the opposite of how things should be.

Only the UN should have authority in space.

SpaceX offers cheap transportation into space. Whether or not the capitalistic market does anything with this, we will see.
The main issue is that billions of dollars of research and development as well as many years of research needs to be done before any serious profit or reason to venture could come from space. A single corporation wont do this.

UN has authority of jack shit.

Meant for

UN is a fucking joke.

Mining one asteroid full of something super rare on earth could shake world economy.

Always? NASA did some great things when it wasn't full of women and diversity hires. Look at the SpaceX team. Mostly white. Some asian, Indian, and Hispanic. Almost entirely men. Look at NASA. Over half women. All the colors of diversity.

Fuck the UN.

>companies will have complete free reign in space
I think I just came

>internationally

this meme needs to die.

Fuck your idealistic jewish bullcrap, only thing that would accomplish is tie everyones hands because of endless bureaucracy and politics.

>about to experience a huge boom?
No, even after the boomers die, it will still be over saturated.

>Are we actually beginning to see a resurgence in the interest of aviation and space exploration?
We are seeing a revitalization of people saying that they are, but not of people actually acting on their words.

>is Astronautics just a passing fad?
This. There will be a bubble between now and when all bodies of matter have been claimed.