Most people who get a Bio Degree do it because "I don't like math lol!"

>Most people who get a Bio Degree do it because "I don't like math lol!"
>Most of the jobs in Bio Require math skills
>These people then spout the "There are no jobs in biology" meme after not being able to find a job with their no math skills

Other urls found in this thread:

evolution.gs.washington.edu/pgbook/pgbook.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

A middle school student can do that math

I guess all biology is only introductory biology.

Definitely no math at the higher levels. That'd be crazy!

Why does that shit look so much like [math](p + q)^2 = 1[/math] from high school?

Depends on the Bio. Many people try doing basic ecology or zoology or just a basic "Biology" degree.

because it's literally that
Weinberg, a biologist, couldn't figure that shit out so they had to go ask a top tier mathematician (Hardy) about it

There's a bit more to the Hardy Weinberg principle than that bros evolution.gs.washington.edu/pgbook/pgbook.pdf

The real fun stuff in biology is mathematical modeling.

>tfw fell for the "bee yourself" meme and took a biology path
>now sitting with a biotechs and a bioengie degrees but there are no jobs for me
>cant get a startup running because the entry price for my field is too high
>meanwhile i could have gone for some cs ans programming degree or cert and i would have been comfily working from home, making websites for boomers

Biology is just a big meme. I love the field and all, but its a dead end, unless you want to be a hippie or some lab monkey with a phd in cell-level faggotry

The only logical path for someone that wants to work in the field is to go biology undergrad and then into bioinformatics or some systems biology shit. You get the knowledge in a field that you like throughout your undergrad years and avoid the grinding at the lab for the rest of your life path. Of course, that requires that you take some courses in bioinformatics while you're at uni and do a master's.

All science degrees are shit for the most path, but bio gives you a useful head start towards this path which is quite a healthy career choice for the time being. So I find it's kind of ridiculous that people call bio shit, since relatively to the other degrees it should be compared to, like physics or chemistry, it offers more opportunities.

If you're talking about work opportunities, it doesn't matter if you've done ecology or biology or biochemistry. Work in the field in general is shit. If anything, an ecology or biology degree might have you do more modelling so it's more useful if you want to get into comp. bio. It depends on the uni I guess.

>cigoto is zygous in english
what a bunch of faggots

>forgetting that there is only math jobs available in bio because no one in bio knows math.

That's the point. Also math fields will always be more useful

there's diff eqs in population dynamics

Not too difficult to solve, plus most of them get set up into algebraic functions before getting shipped off to the biologists anyway

Orly?

You don't even need to go the bioinformatics route, being a well versed at NMR or mass spec or whatever would probably also land you a job. The most important thing is to not be a brainlet who skips out on the computational/biophysical classes.

>Veeky Forums pseudointellectuals laughing at the simple equation
>none of them would be able to understand the theory behind it.

Remember the only Bio that's actually good is Biochem

Do I have to take a million CS classes to get into basic bioinformatics? I know its required to get hired these days.

That's just a worse Bio physics though

>There is only one thing which is more unreasonable than the unreasonable effectiveness of mathematics in physics, and this is the unreasonable ineffectiveness of mathematics in biology.
>—Israel Gelfand

It's even more boring than general or molecular bio, and if it's possible it has even less math. In my experience most people there are serious brainlets, it seems that they do biochem because they think the name makes them look cool but I swear there's barely any of them that are actually interested in the biochem-exclusive material not included in other degrees. Power to you if you are one of the latter, but goddamn there's a lot of hypocrisy and insecurity among most biochemists.

I switched from business and now I'm on the verge of dropping out. Definitely questioning my decision

For a first year elective should I take a zoology or biochem course?

What do you want to do?

This all depends on where you live. There are many Bioengie jobs if you move to the right state.

Thinking of physics as it is the only science other than medical sciences and engineering that has a long term skill shortage where I live

I became a biologist to become a physician, to make more money than most of you. I taught myself calculus, and I can pay one of you retards to teach me higher level maths. Physicians are glorified biologist who keep you retards from dying so you can continue playing your math puzzles

with all the people dying here in the states of the flu, who do you think are the only people doing anything about it

I could be wrong and i could be memeing, but with a biology degree, you're reatrained to working in one field and maybe taking a huge loan to start some lab business or something.
With a business degree you could work on any field or you could even higher pajeets to work for you.

Though thia doesnt matter if there are enough tech and atem jobs where you live.

>not doing the microbiology route combined with immunology so you can work in food lab, drug tester or research.
Plebs

>I'm so smart
>I need others to help me with math!
It's funny how all medfags on Veeky Forums are insecure faggots that can only talk about money

but what do you actually want to study

think about what you say before you say it, everyone has professors that teach them something. I never claimed to be smarter than anyone, I'm simply saying yall need to come off your high horse. Biology is a respectable STEM field just as physics and chemistry. When did this biology is not a real science meme start cause everyone seems to be jumping on the fuck biology bandwagon.

nobody said otherwise....

Population genetics is an interesting and math heavy subject that everyone seems to forget exists.

biology is fucking stupid dude. There's nothing in it that's fundamentally hard or brainlet-proof.

I don't agree with you bashing my field of study, however I do appreciate you said most people and not all cause that would have just been a hasty generalization. I won't lie there are a bunch of bullshitters in the field of biology because afterall D's get degrees but the more appropriate proposition would be all women in biology

i was too much of a brainlet for bio and chem
had to switch to pure math

Have you ever taken an advanced course in genetics? Fundamentally biology is simple to understand, just like any other field in STEM but once you begin to delve into the true nature of biological systems then things are not so rudimentary. anyone can learn anything if they are truly passionate about it

blah blah blah phenomenological shit

nobody cares brainlet, biology isn't hard

>Math was understood for thousands of years
>It wasn't until recently that someone figured out natural selection

>anyone can learn anything if they are truly passionate about it

what is your field?

that statement is true, do you think only aristocrats and the clergy, who made most of the discoveries in science, were the only intelligent people in history.

>anyone can learn anything if they are truly passionate about it
>any field in STEM is simple to understand

Biology is very simple & easy compared to other STEM majors

But try to learn Graduate level Physics, Math & EE by yourself without ever going to College faggot.

Then tell me that's easy or not.

you sound like a whiny little bitch, you're not special faggot and you'll never contribute anything to your field if you're even formally trained

>majoring in bio
50% of the bio majors I know are doing marine biology. Theres like 20 active working career marine biologists in america. wtf are they planning on doing? Besides being a stay at home mom

Have you ever heard of doctors

>50% of the bio majors I know are doing marine biology.
>Theres like 20 active working career marine biologists in america
>wtf are they planning on doing?

Brainlets crowd end up in brainlet meme fields like Marine Biology, Zoology, Ecology, Agriculture & Nursing.

Brain bulls go to Biochemistry, Biophysics, Pharma or become Medical Doctors

>doctors
Yeah i'm sure theres a high demands oh dolphin doctors in the US

my professor, who is a biologist, developed a method to fertilize desert land in North Africa. He made a fortune

The problem is that the vast majority of biology undergrad students prefers the first areas you pointed. They are utterly retards which almost null of mathematical and physical intuition.

What language is cigoto?

It comes from "zygote" I believe. Which is a pretty cool word if you ask me.

One thing is certain: your spelling and grammar is atrocious.

It's probably based off an xkcd comic or some stupid shit and is based on nothing. something about "stamp collecting". Ignore the science elitists, they don't actually matter.

That's just rude.

checkmate, mathophiles

This is hilarious to me because a marine bio major female who works in my microbiology lab, who was on maternity leave, who just resigned to take care of her kid.

Add fertilizer?

Yes

you can't just add fertilizer to sand it will seep through and end up in ground water you need to make good nutrient and water retaining soil

The Hardy Weinberg is literally in the OP. It's not that people forget it exists, it's that they have no fucking clue it exists. 95% of the posters on this board are still in high school or a first year soon to be college drop outs. Take a look at this retard for example
It's painfully obvious he has no fucking idea what he's talking about.
>In my experience most people there are serious brainlets
In this 6 months of being in college experience he has a lot to say about biochemistry as a field.
>but goddamn there's a lot of hypocrisy and insecurity among most biochemists.
Ya, all those biochemists working in academia and industry surely are "hypocritical" and "insecure", thanks for letting me know Mr. Faggot-kid.

Any filed of study is a less-scientific than another field that is more math-based.

Biology is a science. But it's a less-scientific than physics.

What you mean is that in biology you can't always make as accurate predictions as you can in physics. That's not "less scientific", but I get your point. This is because of the scope of the field though, biology deals with extremely complex systems of which we don't even know most variables. It's natural that the status quo of our understanding will change over time as more things are discovered. In physics you deal with defined systems and variables that you can predict, most of the time anyway. It makes sense that you can get more accurate results.

Math doesn't always guarantee that you will get more accurate results or that something is more "scientific". In bioinformatics people make a lot of predictions using math but that doesn't mean they are accurate, again because there are many variables unaccounted for. Math-based predictions are only good when you can model most of the relevant forces correctly, just using math by itself doesn't guarantee anything. Scientists in the field have been making better predictions about what their research will yield than immature math models ever could, which is why bio was and still somewhat is very wet lab focused.

>biologists argue for 10 years
>one of them asks his math bro about it
>math bro immediately writes a 3 paragraph explanation using rudimentary mathematics to answer it

fuckng biologists LMFAOOOOOO

How many people here have actually taken a class besides intro bio? Has anyone experienced grad level bio? Done any actually research in biology?

Try learning systems biology without going to school or any biology for that matter.

So Math is the most science science? Oh wait that's retarded. Also some fields of biology are just as math filled.

>Planning on getting my grad in Pop Gen
How is it?

Ah yes, biology sure is hard. Those biologists must be really smart

I did my undergrad in Ecology and Evolution if you have any questions. It's a lot of long labs and memorization. I've worked in a fly lab, work seasonally as a tech for government mosquito surveillance, and currently work in another insect based lab. I pretty much only do tech work because I have garbage grades and don't have plans for grad school anytime soon.

>Kek look at this dumb person
>That means they are all dumb!
How does it feel knowing Darwin was smarter than all physics and math cucks?

Do you like your job? How hard is finding work?

I graduate in May, but I currently work at the other insect lab.

I love almost all the jobs I can pull with this major but there is a certain amount of labor needed and it's not high salary. A lot of it is seasonal or temporary work. You really have to sell yourself and know what you're looking for in terms of work to make it.

Why (p+q)^2=1 instead of just p+q=1 ?

>medical science paper
>not even a PhD, just EdD
>"biologists"

the absolute state of this board

p+q could also be -1

My sister is in her third year of a biology degree and the only math class she had to take was some algebra review from high school. Honestly I think that the less math involved, the lower the barrier of entry and thus the more flooded said field of study is going to be.

Kek'd

Is this supposed to be math heavy

>Dad REALLY wants me to go get science/engineering degree to have a stable future
>take some classes, like bio anthropology and paleontology
>decide to do that cause "lol calculus was hard"
>none of my classes interest me as much as the anthro and paleo
>freshman me was a fucking moron
>graduating in the fall with no idea what to do with this degree

Talked about grad school with some professors but they all mentioned having some kind of passion for their research, at least enough for a professor to think I'm worth the resources and let me work in their lab, but I just don't have it. Unless I get lucky, seems like I may be fucked.

>>decide to do that cause "lol calculus was hard"
You weren't gonna make it with that mindset. The active researchers of any STEM field are not people who could not do calculus, they're people that in some cases chose not to because their interests lay in another direction.

I studied physics for my undergrad and just got into the Yale Physics Ph.D. program because I applied for Biophysics Theory. Biologists need physicists precisely because we can do both jobs. Biologists don't analyze complex mathematical systems, and biologists especially don't attempt to model those system computationally without outside assistance.

Don't worry, dude. It doesn't matter if you have passion about it or not. Just be good at whatever you do, and it won't matter. Also be good at writing papers/proposals. Just find good mentors to mimick imo. This is meI did research in HEP-Ex my first two years and Nuc-th my last 2. I won a Goldwater with the second group, and I got into a top school with no interest in either field. Randomly picked Biophysics because I read some papers that sounded interesting and we're computationally intensive.

>Biologists need physicists precisely because we can do both jobs. Biologists don't analyze complex mathematical systems,
This depends on your department and university. I know biologists who took systems biology electives and then moved into relevant fields. Although if we're talking biophysics specifically, it's more likely that your background will be physics because the field requires more mathematical knowledge to conduct research in that it does biological, so it makes sense. Also in the post you quoted I was talking about (mainly) bioinformatics rather than biophysics, so the same arguments don't apply. Each department is different.

I wish I was a biology major.

Why did I fuck my life up so hard

Here

Yeah i guess I should try doing a better job of taking advantage of my opportunities while i have them and seek them out. Just need to grow up and do some shit i don't want to. Not sure what I could do now, since I'm kind of running out of time and grades aren't particularly good (3.1 GPA). I've been doing the bare minimum since I dont want to commit to anything.

What are you doing now user? Probably isn't that bad

for frequencies of hetero and homozygous genotypes, rather than just total allele frequencies

>I wish I was a biology major
>Why did I fuck my life up so hard

drop out?

most people get bio degrees for the medical industry, not because they don't like math

>pay one of you retards to teach me higher level maths
>to dumb to self learn
>calls others dumb

>implying that hardy weinberg requires ''math'' knowleadge
brainlet detected

Ecology students usually take population dynamics, which involves calculus and statistics.

In practice, most of the bio jobs are in research/industry work. Undergrads beware, do molecular biology, not marine biology.

Many people really in practice operate as a blend of several skill sets which may in fact, change over time depending on the needs of the work. A "biology" lab is really in good part a chemistry/genetics/bioinformatics lab.. a "genetics" lab is also possibly doing a lot of hardcore biology, that is model organism work. It's in essence all the same shit, worldwide, just different labels indicating what the primary focuses are out of the same puzzle pieces. Research biology labs are really more like in total, a jack-of-all-trades discipline-wise, with some people really more of chemist/physics/comp-sci flavored, with the uniting skill set being working with organisms hands-on. The math of biology = statistics ... it's absolutely necessary; many of hours in a biologist's career might be spent scrutinizing/agonizing over stats techniques/methods.

One may not actually be a bioinformatician by degree but by the time you have your PhD, there may have been months of your life where your actual daily work was often compsci related, if not directly from you then from collaborating with someone who taught you enough to wing it. You might have picked up R, python, perl etc. You may not be a geneticist by degree but if you wound up doing an RNAseq of something you may have to pick up the tools, databases and statistical analysis techniques geneticists use. You may not be an organic chemist by degree but at some point might have had to try to isolate or precipitate things to run through a mass spec and may have had to invent an optimize your own protocol to do it, again requiring a lot of training and understanding - all of these things, you will never have known you'd need as undergrad, or non-biologists on Veeky Forums wouldn't have known if I didn't just tell you.

Barely anyone takes Bio because they don't like math. Although the fact that there's less math than in physics or something is probably a contributing factor it's almost never the main reason.

You sound like someone who hates biofags because of incorrect assumptions. The reason biofags can't get jobs easily is because biology just isn't tremendously useful. Outside of research, what kind of company needs to hire a biologist? If you want to work with animals you get a veterinary degree or a biomedical science degree. If you want to work with humans you get a medicine degree. If you want to work with plants 'n stuff you do bio-engineering or agricultural engineering.

>be electrophysiologist
>develop script to analyze high frequency oscillations
>phd student says "it's not her job" to understand the code or the math behind the processing

>le startup
>implying research jobs aren't plentiful if you're actually worth anything

i don't get why brainlets get into stem to begin with

>only people with access to resources can make scientific advancements
>therefore everyone with access to resources can make scientific advancements
So according to you, all rectangles are square?

what if I do the inverted path?
I'm not sure about the definition of undregrad and Ph.D cause I'm foreign, but I'm starting an IT course on uni next month and I have hopes to get into biology after I'm done with the four basic university years.
I mean, it's not really a Computer Science course, but I still have hopes for transfer in the next semester.
Think that'd be viable?