How does this thing "float" in space? I know that's not the right term but I feel like I should know this

How does this thing "float" in space? I know that's not the right term but I feel like I should know this.

it doesn't
/thread

You assume stuff flows because in your ordinary experience, you're always interacting with matter. Be it air, or water, or a bunch of rubber balls, you're used to things flowing and you developed this concept in your head that everything should flow.

You need to drop that attitude and start learning how stuff actually works. What's happening is that the sun is so heavy it's basically denting the 4D space-time. It's more like the sun is a giant ball that's been dropped onto a stretched out sheet, and we're like tiny marbles that are caught in the depression that it makes. Remove gravity from this metaphor and you can understand how a marble, trapped in a depression around a heavy ball on a flat stretched sheet can be stuck in the loop essentially forever. It keeps going because there's nothing there to stop it.

Then how does space time "hold" it in place?

It doesn't. The Sun and our planets circle the toilet drain black hole that is the center of our galaxy.

Since you're retarded: The Sun moves fast.

It doesn't. Nothing is ever held in place. Relativity tells us there's no such thing as absolute movement, or absolute staying still. It's always moving/staying still in relation to something. Your question makes sense in English, it makes absolutely no sense in (post-Newtonian) physics.

it's not in place, it's hurling around galactic center at fucking 800,000km/h and whole galaxy is rocketing at fucking 2 million km/h

so everything is constantly "falling" towards a gravity source then?

How does that not produce relativistic effects? Or does it? Genuinely curious

once you go above galactic, you have galaxies clumping together in giant web-like structures, not balls or spirals, but everything moves constantly

plus universal expansion is still a thing
currently it appears to be stronger than gravity

It actually doesn't float in space. It's been heavily theorized that there's actually a trampoline below the sun and it hops to stay in place.

beceause it made of helelium it like a big balloon floatign in the sky

0.02c isn't really a relativistic speed

*0.002c

It can't be moving that fast. When you're in a car you can feel when it's moving.

Obviously you'd be able to feel it if the whole galaxy was moving 800,000km/h.

>When you're in a car you can feel when it's moving
no
you can feel the rumbling of moving parts and roughness of the surface you're driving on, you can feel when it's accelerating and braking, but sure as shit don't feel the movement at constant speed

Wrong. Do this experiment. When someone else is driving and you're in the car, close your eyes and tell them to slowly decelerate. Then try to guess the speed after a minute or so.

You can't feel speed. You can only feel acceleration.

It's actually slowly falling towards the center of the galaxy

You do realise the earth is accelerating and decelerating while orbiting the sun at 66,600mph (666 baby!) since the earth's orbit is elliptical.

not accurate but you get the idea

Its also rotating at a fairly constant velocity that would be much more noticeable... but you can't notice it because the earth is gigantic and you are tiny

Oh but the sun is also orbiting the galaxy at 500,000mph which is just common sense and I have no trouble believing it because it's reality and not sci-fi.

You do realize that the Earth is falling though the Sun's gravitational field and you cannot feel the force of gravity unless it is resisted (by something like the floor.)

It's not "floating". It's falling under the gravitational pull of all the other objects in the galaxy. The planets are falling right along with it.
It doesn't go "down" for the same reason the Moon doesn't drop onto the Earth. It moves along a curve determined by gravity and its previous velocity-vector.

>numbers are big and I'm unable to comprehend them, therefore it can't be true
No career in STEM for you then