WHAT

HOW THE FLYING FUCK DID ELON MUSK LAND A FUCKING ROCKET ON A BOAT

it just seems so fucking impossible

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Z_kfM-BmVzQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

very good avionics and powerful, high precision radar

does the droneship move to compensate for the rocket?

yes, it has pretty high precision thrusters like a tugboat so it can stay super stable, the barge and the rocket are essentially hovering over a specific GPS coordinate calculated before the launch

what does elon do if pirates capture the boat?

Pirates anywhere near US waters?

ok so some hicks on a boat that had one too many beers

it looks so surreal

>it just seems so fucking impossible

If some drunk rednecks manage to steal a drone boat that far from land in a shitty boat, then they sure as hell deserve the drone boat and a medal given by Elon himself.

better be a big fucking boat
the drone barge is the size of a football field
the rocket is 210 feet tall

never underestimate drunk hicks

Hell, he might try to hire them. Those early Mars trips will need on-site improvisation skills.

For scale

>HOW THE FLYING FUCK SWITCHING POWER SUPPLIES CAN PRODUCE STABLE VOLTAGE
same principle

He just eyeballs it. Elon Musk is the best pilot in the sector. That's why it was such a big deal landing two boosters at once the other day. He had to fly them simultaneously with one hand on each remote control joystick.

>Still can't do the kessel run in under 13 parsecs
Great kid, just don't get cocky.

They'd get melted

The tech for keeping ships stationary and stable (azimuth thrusters, roll gyos, gps, etc) has been around for quite a while, so if the rocket can land precisely on ground then it can land on a boat.

youtube.com/watch?v=Z_kfM-BmVzQ

You make the boat the size of like a football field. Then you put rocket scientists in charge of making a precise rocket and practice a few times.

Hope they jump off before the rocket arrives.

Question about the legs: are they precharged shock absorbers that are just held in place by the top lock.. or are they pneumatic and deploy with a cylinder of compressed gas inside the booster when a signal is given?

Dude was a beast at pilotwings I guess.

State of this thread

>implying he wasn't physically inside one of the boosters while remotely controlling the other one

Underrated post

that's actually in reverse

That's why there's a trail of smoke across the image at the beginning, which is sucked into the rocket, right?

Don't be a retard.

Veeky Forums aspies being Veeky Forums aspies that can't get a simple joke

"I was just pretending to be retarded" isn't a joke.

The boat is within the launch exclusion zone, so if any pirates enter the zone the launch would be called off and an angry message would be sent to them.
Probably followed by the Navy if they approached the barge.

Yes, but droping a bomb on inch correct is 2003 thing.

You wouldn't pirate a boat

Actually it's pretty fucking good idea for something to demand ransom for...

It's like that platform would dodge rocket.

the asperger is strong with this one

Fucks sake it wasn't Elon Musk it was a TEAM OF ENGINEERS, fucker only paid for everything

I am strangely disappointed that it is so dirty.

>rocket scientists

This phrase needs to die.

what kind of pirate would steal a boat from the company that routinely hits boat sized targets with bigass rockets

>It's like that platform would dodge rocket.

What did he mean by this?

It's because your image of your muskdaddy is synonymous with the image poltards have of Trump. Much like they are triggered by images that reveal his grotesque decay, being an ((very)) old man, you are saddened by images which indicate muskdaddy is not the golden god that you cast him as. He's just a dude that inherited success, and has successfully memed his way to convincing people to invest in space travel. Don't get me wrong, I think it's awesome because we can only make progress by investing in progress. But he's not an actual god.

Imagine being so much of a fucking loser that you get this defensive about being called out for being a retard on the internet. Stop posting and suck it up you brain-dead kid.

haha yeah sure champ

You have a problem with people that experiment with rockets?

Probably the latter. It would be pretty disastrous for the launch if they were accidentally deployed too early.

both of you are retarded chill the fuck out lol

Laugh as he crashes the falcon heavy into the pirates and claims the loss through his insurance policy.

u crazy ass cracker I saw elon musk fly that thing with my own black ass eyes

Isn't parachute simpler?

you literally need TVC nozzles or big control surfaces to land such humongous thing like that, this is fucking bullshit

dry booster still weighs 25 tons

You mean like cold-gas thrusters and grid-fins?

underrated post

I came to this thread for a gif or webm and i got a png...

Big parachutes are a thing.

I will never stop hating that the limit is approaching infinity and not 0

this
those grid fins give you shockingly good control authority up to supersonic speeds and event decent during that
also the engines can gimbal pretty precisely and dramatically.
those gas thrusters are fucking POWERFUL too

It's like a bat

Not really cause it's supposed to be reusable so even if he gets pirate money he still loses time and a booster

it's actually not that hard to make a robot that can balance a bat, consider that robots can operate on timescales way fucking faster than us, so they compensate for much smaller changes in motion, and can be WAY more precise

a human tries to balance a bat and he's 250ms behind any given motion and overcompensates for tiny movements and is bad at judging acceleration by eye.

it's not hard, we're just fucking horrible at it

Don't forget space bat

they have crushable elements in them for shock absorbing, similar to a stack of coke cans, because the legs have to be built so lightweight they cant really use springs or oil/gas dampeners

Oh TVC? You know, like how all the engines gimbal and vector their thrust? Like that?

Dude even us 115iq brainlets like science. We just dont understand it all, also video games.

nice cgi sheeps

So, I can't be the only one here who thinks this is a little pointless, right?

Pros:
>Actually looks pretty freaking neat
>Cool control systems

Cons:
>Requires a complex, expensive drone ship to capture
>Rocket needs to carry fuel for both ascent and controlled descent
>Rocket needs more complicated mechanisms to have controlled descent, adding more unnecessary weight
>If anything goes wrong the whole thing fucking explodes, wasting all the effort you expended getting to work that way
>You need to (or ought to) do thorough inspection and repair before you use it again, so the "reusable" part is kind of a meme

Am I missing anything?

You’re missing the 50x cost savings once the technology matures.

Who the hell cares if it’s more complex

yes, that even taking into account all of that complexity its still very very very much cheaper than throwing away the rocket.

if anything goes wrong the whole thing explodes, same thing can be said about airplanes, and actually they do explode from time to time when people are not careful
thats why you must always be careful when handling complex machinery

disposable rockets also explode if youre not careful

Coast Gaurd goes on the radio and yells at them to leave. If they don't leave they send out a boat and point machine guns across the bow of SS Drunken Hicks until they get the idea and leave.

lmao get a load of this nigger

Its like working with mercury

Funny thing is the more I watch the reused rockets the less worried I get, I infact am now more worried with the new ones.

Think about getting in a plane. I would much rather fly in one thats been around for years, than get into a brand new plane thats never flown before.

One hell of a fucking gyroscope.

But he didn't. They have the rocket landed together. If Musk would have done it that would imply that he did build the rocket from scratch.

jesus christ, can they do something about the environmental noise, sounds awful to live next to elons autistic projects

slow down there chief