Is it just me or is Neuromancer a REALLY tough read?

Is it just me or is Neuromancer a REALLY tough read?

I'm about 1/4th into it and I feel like I can hardly tell what's even going on half the time. Something about the way he writes is... erratic.

It was much easier the second time through. First time I read it, it really did feel like a dizzying mess of amphetamines and computer circuitry.

It's no tougher than YA.

Yeah I agree, it's a difficult book it takes some getting used to

It's confusing af

Keep in mind he was trying to emulate the styles of two writers: Burroughs and Pynchon, who are both generally regarded as having written some of the densest and most confusing works of 20th century literature. While Gibson doesn't quite reach those heights, its obvious he's mimicking the paranoid techno-babble and abstract-word imagery which both those guys were infamous for.

This. Just read it a couple of times. It's a short book.

I thought it was better the more times I read it tbqh.

>implying Neuromancer isn't just Raymond Chandler with microchips

This, if you don't feel really fucking confused, then I guess maybe you're super intelligent but you're missing out on the cyberpunk experience.

It's abstract, just go with it

I love it but it is a very 'unwelcoming' book. A lot of it feels genuinely nightmarish, not 'scary' as such but extremely disjointed and stark like the fucked up dreams you have if you fall asleep in the afternoon

the book is a bunch of confusing techno babble and drug like psychoses. Its suppose to be confusing. Just enjoy the ride.

It wasn't Raymond Chandler, it was Dashiel Hammet.

I loved it because it felt very authentically, traditionally, classicla hard-boiled. Not confusing at all. Very pulp.

are you guys really having trouble reading this book? I am not trying to make you feel bad, but the more complex parts come later on towards the back end of the book and even then they are not very difficult.

You don't like some livewire voodoo in your Japanese night?

ITT - generation z brainlets that find technology less user friendly than a smartphone too conufsing and alien

Its just badly written desu senpai

Oh look, it's another one of those fucking tourists from /mu/.

I tried to read it, and felt that William Gibson and his "stream of consciousness" writing is full of shit.

Af?

No, it's not just you. Plenty of other people are retarded.

Nigger I read this when I was like thirteen, if I could do it then, so can you. And it was easy.
This
Fuck you.

You should not have been reading it at thirteen. It has way too much sex and profanity and there's no way you would have understood what was going on at that age.

I hope you're joking.

I really, really liked ASoIaF as a thirteen year old.

For the obvious reasons.
dip

ASoIaF is written by someone who has a 13 year old's vocabulary, completely different situation. Nowhere near Neuromancer's level.

user rubbing someone's nipple is pretty much the same whether Gibson or GRRM is writing it.

His style is nothing like Raymond Chandler. You're clearly just regurgitating something you've heard. You've either never read Chandler or you've never read Gibson, or either. That's the good thing about dumb opinions that catch on at least, you can quickly tell who the pseuds are by who propagates them.

af is short for 'as fuck'

Gibson wrote it far more elegantly. And doesn't describe food as if he's masturbating while writing it.

Okay.

I dunno what you think this conversation is about.

What do YOU think this conversation is about? Don't be that fag who gets all vague because he thinks the main purpose of discussion is to "win an argument."

Can someone explain the logic here? Someone who thinks Neuromancer isn't a hard read, is from /mu/?

>LOL YOU COULD NEVER UNDERSTAND SEX AS A THIRTEEN YEAR OLD
>I also liked ASoIaF as a thirteen year old
>HOW DARE YOU COMPARE MY GLORIOUS GIBSON TO THAT GRRM FELLOW
>uh, okay
I'm guessing he got triggered by the YA reference and thought he was one of those "genre shit = genreshit" faggots.

Your mistake was assuming I'm the same person. This literally happened in Neuromancer, forming connections where there aren't any. Have you even read the book?

Do you not understand how a conversation works?

Basically, you launched into an argument with yourself for no clear reason. How about you tell me what you think this "argument" is, huh?

Yea he hasn't read the book lol

Thanks.

I thought as much. Anyone who's read the book knows Gibson's not exactly got better prose than any other genreshit.

>triggered

What the fuck? Are you on drugs? I ask if you've read the book and provide an example of something that happened in the book, and your response is "No YOU haven't read the book." You literally said "NO U." At this point I'm convinced you're either shitposting or retarded.

Anyone can read a synopsis, yet you seem to have not read his prose.
>The week before, he’d delayed transfer of a synthetic glandular extract, retailing it for a wider margin than usual. He knew Wage hadn’t liked that. Wage was his primary supplier, nine years in Chiba and one of the few gaijin dealers who’d Mao aged to forge links with the rigidly stratified criminal establishment beyond Night City’s borders. Genetic materials and hormones trickled down to Ninsei along an intricate ladder of fronts and blinds. Somehow Wage had managed to trace something back, once, and now he enjoyed steady connections in a dozen cities.
This is all very plain and basic.

That's also very early in the book which makes it all the more likely you just opened it up for the first time right now to do some cherrypicking.

It's also likely that I opened the epub and picked a section at random, having read a physical copy a few years ago.

The fact is, most of the posters in this thread have commented on how difficult a book it is, so you're just retarded.

Yes, how stupid of me to find reading something that others find complex, simple.

It's only simple to you because you're too dumb to see the complexity.

Given your habit of making false inferences I suspect that is not the case and you're just imagining things.

It is a cool book, and it is imagination, not facts of life.
Just enjoy the ride!

Has anybody read Synners?

Projecting much? We get it, you didn't understand Neuromancer.

get a room you faggots

Yeah because I still don't know what you're even trying to argue you stupid nigger.

Neuromancer makes heaven and that one dude on the tape gets strapped into it, along with the qt azn. Also Armitage gets dropped by Wintermute. Of course I really and truly read the book, why would I bother pretending otherwise?
Ironically, he is not me, and plenty of other people have said it's really fucking simple. Because it is.
>Projecting much
Christ

>Projecting much?
No. Remember when made the following false inference?
>That's also very early in the book which makes it all the more likely you just opened it up for the first time right now to do some cherrypicking.
I'd love for you to explain what the complex parts of the book are and in what way they're complex.

Go shitpost somewhere else, your kind isn't welcome on Veeky Forums.

no wonder you couldn't understand gibson

My first crush was a 14 year old cyberpunk girl who was super into William Gibson. I got this and a bunch of books by Bruce Sterling from the library and pretended to like them to try to her impress her, kek.

My sense is that this version of cyberpunk was so cliche by the mid 90s that this book is more of a history lesson than Veeky Forums. It's like a checklist of late 70s cultural milestones with Japan taking over the world, Rastafarians, and DUDE, COMPUTERS. It's all hard to take seriously reading it now.

nigger

>tries to bump thread with something other than calling OP an idiot
>tries to actually discuss the book
>gets called a bigger

Great board, guys.

nigger

I thought it was a bit of a slog at times but worth it.
The ending was wicked with the Neuromancer/Wintermute amalgam. For a cyberpunk book it was pretty philosophical.

I don't know about all the derivative stuff that's popped up over the years, but a lot of the cornerstones of the genre like Neuromancer, Blade Runner, or Ghost in the Shell do touch on subject matter deeper than "dude shooting heroin in cyberspace".

> My first crush was a 14 year old cyberpunk girl
Lucky! And yeah the first book obviously was setting some pretty basic groundwork for the cyberpunk genre, but you might want to check out its sequels, Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive. Both stand the test of time better than Neuromancer imo and have storylines that resemble a lot of the shit that gets thrown around in japanese comics and Anime.
So if you're into that, Gibson definitely delivers, albeit with his clunky and pulpy style of writing. And the third book gave me some sort of catharsis for how all the storylines eventually come together, characters grow older, very fun and bittersweet

You meant to direct that post at someone else.

Wait, what? Cyberpunk girl? Did she dress like a hacker or something?

DUDE RASTAS IN SPACR

I stopped reading 3/4 of the way into it, but not because it was a hard read. It was just relatively boring. I'm not into sci-fi. I usually read classic lit.

Yeah I actually have read them both and competely agree. I think sprawl trilogy worked a lot better as pulpy sci fi adventures, I enoyed them a lot more.
Sort of, she dressed in like combat boots and had short spikey hair, listened to industrial music, and she did self taught IT stuff on the side to put herself thru college and is doing a PhD in some sort of nanotechnology materials sciences. I guess cyberpunk never died for her.

No, I didn't.

It's a bit confusing in some parts, but I wouldn't call it "really though"

There's an audiobook read by Gibson on youtube. Maybe pull up some of the confusing parts and listen to how he reads it. It'll give it some context at least.

Don't you be polite. This is Veeky Forums you faggot.

I remember when I read Neuromancer and realized "ah, that's where the Wachowskis got half of The Matrix".

I tried reading it like 2 or 3 years ago and it did feel a bit tough and confusing at times so I ended up reading something entirely different instead.
I will probably try reading it again soon and everything will make much more sense.

Yeah, you did. It's okay to admit you made a mistake. To err is human.

This is a pretty good idea. There's no one that knows the proper voice for the work better than the writer. That's why it's awesome that Ellison himself did the voice for AM.

I can only hope this post is meant to be a joke.

it's not tough, it's just a shit book

More like "the shit", as in "totally kickin' rad."

Have you ever heard Gibson speak? He kind of has a rural drawl going on. I've heard him in interviews before, but didn't know about the audiobook. I checked it out but his voice seems totally unfitting for the subject matter. If they wanted to do something a little more theatrical, they should have gone the generic cold cybernetic voice route like SHODAN or something.

It's true that it's not exactly fitting, and not at all the voice I would have expected for the kind of book it is, but at the same time there's a certain magic to hearing the author read his own work aloud.

They got the other half from Oshii's Ghost in the Shell in fact

What are you talking about? This is not a challenging book at all. I literally read this with my dad when I was in elementary school. Was not a hard read at all.

True honestly

Are you retarded? Honestly I feel like this book is a lot more engaging exciting and age-appropriate for a 13-year-old than an adult. I read it when I was about 10-11.

Intelligence alone does not render one in understanding. For all that intelligence, one can always have more background noise, in their thoughts if nowhere else. They may be confused by other things altogether.

What the FUCK was your father doing letting you read this in elementary school?

It is a children's book user.

No. It is not. Experts on the subject agree.

Why shouldn't he? Because it has sex, drugzzz and violence?

By your logic it's okay to smoke pot, fuck your wife, and kill someone in front of your child. Because hey, who cares what a child sees?

>a child can't differeciante fiction from reality.

Isn't it? Life is harsh and he's better be prepared for this.

>differeciante

>he's better be prepared

Yikes...

The ending was complete gibberish. Can someone give me a quick rundown on what happened after they went to space?

for the first time in the book gibson tried to write something that wasn't hamfisted romance or action and the poor guy's brain just couldn't handle the effort

I read it when i was 12.

this book seems to get a really divisive reaction, moreso than other books here. is it because it's kind of not quite literary fiction but also a bit more intelligent than standard pulp stuff?

It's not complex, you're right. You are arguing with a child, though, so you're not as intelligent as you think.

its not that its more intelligent, its that it pretends to be

If you're unstructured and lazy, it's a very easy book to enjoy, in all seriousness.

In what was is it more intelligent than something like Ender's game? How old are you guys?