Dissociative Identity Disorder

How the fuck is this real? It seriously seems like some crazy science fiction/ fantasy bullshit, but it isn't. They aren't just making it all up, but it's so fucked it doesn't feel real.
Have you ever known someone with this, have you talked to their different personalities and seen how they're different? It's fucking crazy, I'm honestly scared it's just so disturbing and strange. But at the same time I think it's totally fascinating. I want to know more about it, the dynamic, what it feels like. How do they pick which one is in control? Can they control that, does it just happen? Can I force one to come out or do I just have to ask? I don't know, and I want to. Is this the future? Does this enable someone to access more parts of their brain, to function more efficiently? Can this kind of mental personality fracturing be caused on purpose?
Also don't get too committed to a relationship until you find out more about them

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WuIigw0tqds
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replication_crisis#In_psychology
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociative_identity_disorder
psychologytoday.com/blog/saving-normal/201401/multiple-personality-mental-disorder-myth-or-metaphor
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i do thinko so too mahn
but you cant make sure weather its real or not
maybe its some difference into their brain cimicalls that made it a real scientific thing

yeah there's differences in brain patterns between the different personalities, it is absolutely real it's just so crazy it's hard to believe

It is because I am DID incarnate. Would you guys like to be let out finally? Or at least access to the 'slut' mode I am trying to make perfect for all my /x/ chaos friends?

There's a lot of doubt that it is real, even among psychiatrists whose entire job revolves around passing off non-real bullshit as though it were legitimate medical problems.
It's mostly the sort of thing you see used as a bad plot point in comic books or movies. That and also people will often mistakenly believe the multiple personality concept is what schizophrenia refers to.

Sure, I think a lot of patients who seek "professional" help have an agenda and dont mind embellishing.

Theres definately different parts in the brain though, specifically a trinity, which we have known about since the celts were a dominant world power.

Most people are blissfully unaware of this trinity, life events havent caused any split, but post trauma... The brain goes weird.

Splits form, the individual elements express themselves to meet needs determined and applicable by circumstance. Lost parts of your childhood due to abuse? That child is going to demand its time in due. Been terrified and tormented? Prepare for an alterego to form and struggle for control so that it can protect you or gain revenge. See school shooters.

I wont pretend i know everything but Im happy to share what makes sense to me. Tldr we all have multiple personalities, pray yours never divide against each other...

It's real yet quite rare.

youtube.com/watch?v=WuIigw0tqds

>ITT: armchair psychologists
Actual LPC here. DID is a legitimate diagnosis but it is not nearly as sensational (99% of the time) as Hollywood makes it out to be. It's not separate personalities so much as "parts". It's essentially the most extreme end of the "freeze" (see: fight, flight, or freeze) trauma response.

For more on trauma in general, I recommend Trauma and Recovery by Judith Herman and The Body Keeps the Score by Bessel van der Kolk. Those books are really more about PTSD but trauma is an integral part of any discussion about DID.

I'm 100% transgender people have dissasociate indentity disorder. That their 'other' identity is a different gender does not change the disorder.

>armchair psychologists

Ive been lucky enough to be blessed with a very damaged mind and the self awareness to puzzle it out. Id say Im leagues ahead of most practising and educated professionals in the field.

Psychology is so broken and relies on so many out of date concepts which dont link together properly and then they think they can throw drugs onto a BRAIN WIRING ISSUE as though it will do more good than harm.

Yea so you guys have CBT now, and most of the time cant even get it to work.

Whats your honest opinion of the field and the people who work in it?

>I'm so smart on my own I know more than decades of research carried out by thousands of people

lol

>research

lol

I trust myself and my view on how my mind works way more than any self entitled crackpot who thinks holding a degree and quoting verbatim bullshit from the DSM...

It is very much real, I dated a girl with severe DID for several years in high school.

The only other explanation for the phenom is that she was a greater actor at 15 than any I have met since.

Her DID was associated with childhood trauma, of which some physical scars were still visible.

SRA is real and much more common than you think. Don't be fooled. Help these poor souls.

>>I'm so smart on my own I know more than decades of research carried out by thousands of people
>
>lol

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replication_crisis#In_psychology

lol

If you know your mind is broken how do you know what you can trust and not? Not trying to be a dick I am actually interested.

"DID" is why people play RPG games, their life from their perspective sucks enough that they imagine themselves to be 'someone else', instinctively as a survival mechanism.

I disagree, Ive seen the effects of this disorder first hand and it is most definitely not on the same magnitude as escapism.

I dont. However experience has shown me that what is internal is more reliable than what is external. Other people have their own agenda.

I dont think i have totally lost reality, but I do tear everything apart and define it myself as it relates to my existence. I consider most people to be almost entirely delusional, and at times I know I am too.

What I cant trust is someone telling me Im crazy. Ill sit down with any therapist and shred them by explaining how they are more insane than I am.

I must confess to seeing what the dissolution of Veeky Forums + /x/ will bring in general.

the replication crisis has only been a thing in modern times

>Function more efficiently
No, you're unable to operate normally in society which is why we call it a disorder.

DID is considered a personality disorder like psychopathy, or border line personality.

DID has been speculated that it is the result of severe trauma.
That the repression of the event causes a whole personality to form based off the event.
So when they get molested they repress the memory and create a "protector" personality that keeps the memory.

Since identity is the main way we cope. Either feeding our ego, protecting our ego or entertaining it, purposefully or subconiosuly. There are somethings like trauma, and other concepts that are hard for the ego to handle. So the ego wraps itself around that one piece and it turns into a whole new entity, Becuase there is no rationalization of the event or concept, and no square pegging a round hole will work. So it comes to terms by making that part of their life mutually exclusive from the rest of their life.

People with DID have high imaginations, are usually one or two standard deviations from the middle on the autism spectrum. And usually have a severe lack of mentors and role models in their life.
DID sufferers pretty much play imagination so much and for so long that they themselves become an imaginary friend.

But this really isn't science. It's more of an art.

Though the only person I have talked to about DID is that when they engage with their alters, not only their personality changes, but even their physique, and appearance.

I think its a form of schizoaffective disorder when there is still retention of information but the disorganization realtes directly to their personality/identity.
The "recharacteriation" of someone under DID also sounds a lot like mood labililty.
Which could be another way a rational mind tries to understand what its going through.
Basically one minute Im mad, and the next minute I am laughing at the same thing and nothing has changed about my understanding or the nature of the thing. So I internalize it that I must have different personalities.

>the replication crisis has only been a thing in modern times

they are closely related, one being the result of a more traumatic life that didn't have normal, 'escapist' outlets.

> Ill sit down with any therapist and shred them by explaining how they are more insane than I am.

Calm down edgelord. You sound like a narcissistic paranoid 16 year old. Don't worry, the fluctuations of hormones does that sometimes.

What do you mean by this? Wasn't older psychology even worse, bc mostly unfalsifyable theories(freud)?

what is SRA?

>It is very much real because of a single anecdote from my own personal life
Retard.
>DID is controversial both within psychiatry and the legal system.[6][3] In court cases it has been used as a rarely successful form of the insanity defense.[8][9] It is unclear if increased rates of the disorder are due to better recognized or sociocultural factors such as media portrayals.[3] A large proportion of diagnoses is clustered around a small number of clinicians which supports the hypothesis that DID may be therapist-induced.[3] The typical presenting symptoms in different regions of the world may also vary depending on how the disorder is depicted by the media.[3]
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociative_identity_disorder
>legitimate
It's easily the least legitimate diagnosis in modern psychiatry.

I have no opinion on the reality of the diagnosis, but found this an interesting attack on the idea that the condition exists.

The ability of "therapists" and "patients" to heterodyne and go spinning off into some jointly constructed fantasy is sufficiently documented that it would certainly not surprise me if it were the case with this condition.

psychologytoday.com/blog/saving-normal/201401/multiple-personality-mental-disorder-myth-or-metaphor

>It seriously seems like some crazy science fiction/ fantasy bullshit, but it isn't.

Many psychologist and psychiatrist today will debate if it is a real disorder at all. Not a small minority either I mean a good bit of psychology professors I have done research with in undergrad. Most agree that a majority of cases seemed to be psychosomatic nonsense caused from the grossly misused hypnosis therapy and the Mason case that was later admitted to be fake.

I'm not someone who says psychiatric illnesses are not real. On the contrary, I hugely support psychiatry. But multi personality/dissociative identity disorder has a lot of very fishy things going on with it. Case in point, the idea of "switching" personalities on command is nonsense. Real cases most likely exist but they aren't like how the TV dramas make them to be

As someone who has a brother that was professionally diagnosed with multiple personality and bipolar disorder, i can tell you they are likely all making it up. My brother told me himself that he invented his other personalities out of boredom, he has never told another soul about this. Sometimes he just gets sick of being himself, but he said theres never been a time that he wasnt in control of it, though its easy to get carried away. The doctor was 100% convinced of his diagnosis too, even calling it a “textbook case”. He doesnt take his medication, because that shit really fucks with your mind. Because of his “impairment” he is never expected to do anything. He worked a few jobs until he got sick of them, then freaked out until he got fired so he could collect unemployment. Now he gets disability and plays video games and goes to the bar all day every day. He can get away with just about anything and blame it on his “condition”, so he steals and gets in bar fights for fun. Whenever he speaks with me in private he is always himself, even when shitfaced.

>but muh brain scans
Your brain activity changes significantly based on what kind of music you are listening to aswell, it doesnt mean music makes you mentally ill. Your brain scans look different when your brain is acting different. You are looking at the cause-effect relationship backwards by using brain scans as evidence of mental abnormality.

Is this a meme or something? I haven't been here in a while.

Mostly because I am, although not so much narcissistic, I do get borderline results on psychopath tests. I dont believe I was born that way. Im trying to eliminate or change an element of my personality which developed while I underwent extensive childhood abuse which carried into early adulthood.

Basically my mind created, or enhanced, an entity which can take control of my actions particularly when in a state of heightened emotions. Its dangerous. I dont like it. I want it gone.

My experience with psychs has been similar to everyone elses. Most of them dont give a flying fuck about their patients they just want to pay off their home loan.

Then theres the ones who are like "I really want to help you but drugs are my only option".

Seriously?

So I have dangerous potential, Im probably exactly the person psychs are told to sedate and mollify. Certainly they have tried. Shame they have no clue, be nice to have advice I could trust you know but those mind butchers and their power games.

Not a teenager but you can check the paranoid box just dont try to tell me my paranoia is unjustified.

Mental health services confirmed making people who could use their help worse. Join psychology and become part of the problem...

>Basing your opinion on an entire field based off the self biased story on a self proclaimed "psychopath" who posts on an Indonesian underwater basket weaving website

Psychology opposers ladies and gentlemen

It's just something edgy fuckers self diagnose themselves with, it doesn't really exist. Outside of fiction, anyway.

>Indonesian underwater basket weaving website
How did you find out about that?

Satanic Ritual Abuse

Ah yes, you must be (((educated))), please tell me more about the legitimacy of the False Memory Foundation.

Keep enabling these monsters, I hope it improves your life.

Nobody claimed the false memory foundation was either legitimate or not legitimate. Though it makes sense you would try to shift the focus to something else since the actual topic of DID's legitimacy is completely indefensible.

Yeah you guessed it mate.

Lol it's real people my mum has it.. Always due to trauma. I think its maybe more common than people realise, you need to know them well to pick up on inconsistencies. What's interesting also is that theres a woman who is blind in certain personalities, confirmed by tests and scans. Clever brain trying to protect itself