Great Expectations

Thoughts?

Also Dickens general

haha I had GREAT EXPECTATIONS when I started reading it but instead got GREAT DISAPPOINTMENTS lol

i went into it with great expectations :DDDDD:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD:D:D:D:D:D

I knew this thread couldn't disappoint.

DICKens

Is anything he wrote really any better than the shit tier serialized fiction that's present today? The only reason he published like that was to Jew England's high society out of as much money as possible. Then came all of his "full novels" to sell the exact same shit to people AGAIN. Then there's the bullshit of changing the endings of some of his work just because people didn't like them.

Just because he's the mildly less autistic about subject matter doesn't mean he's not absolute garbage for being the progenitor for an entire medium that's provided absolutely nothing worthwhile to culture in the ~140 years it's been around.

I hate myself for laughing

>Great Expectations
>didn't deliver
DICKens at his dickest.

reading it right now, at times comfy maybe bit too long

just like my DICK

Dickens was great. You are simply wrong.

You are looking at it from the wrong perspective by judging in hindsight. Dickens was probably the first mass cultural phenomenon. Furthermore, his work was not devoid of any merit, he openly wrote about many issues in Victorian England that were mostly ignored by his contemporaries.

Dickens was a pompous victorian windbag with no stylistic range. Stop sucking up to your english teacher you tryhard faggot.

Great Expectations was the third book by Dickens I've read. The other two before it were a tale of two cities and david copperfield. I am of the opinion that there are different phases and voices of Dickens. Unquestionably a genius, most who criticize I won't bother trying to rationalize. Great Expectations seemed to be a predictable and simply plotted bildungsroman, especially compared to David Copperfield, I assume it was geared more towards a young audience. A good book, nevertheless. Nothing amazing, certainly not my favorite. I suggest two cities.

yes yes, i'm sure your mother is very proud of your contributions to this website.

kek oh yes you definitely seem like a real go getter

i don't assume the pretentious mantle you obviously do. I understand that you don't like Dickens, but to say that the style of novel he helped pioneer is no significant positive contribution to literary culture as we know it, shows some ridiculous sense of self importance that is doubtless unmerited. anyway, you do you. like what you like, your claims are just wrong. both tolstoy and dostoevsky heap praises on his work and influence, and i defy you to say that these two artists were "nothing worthwhile".

didn't read. calm down retard

>didn't read
need you say more?

Pip and Herbert were gay.

I like reading books, not the triggered responses of virgins off their meds. I've finished all of Dicken's major works, they're shit, and so is your opinion.

okay, fiend.

>Dickens was great. You are simply wrong.
The amazing arguments you put forth definitely changed my mind about Dickens.

>implying my post was trying to "change your mind"
why would i bother trying to sculpt a pleb into someone worth while?

Personally I can't disagree with those trips

Your singles just don't match up

I'm reading hard times and am enjoying it, always read a Christmas Carol every winter and I loved Great Expectations as a child but I haven't read it since.

>calling someone pleb for calling you out for a fallacy
I actually like Dickens, but "you are simply wrong" is just a shit response to someone who put his case upfront with arguments. Just btw I'm not the dude you were originally talking to.

>i'm not the guy you were talking to
>i like dickens
so, you're just arguing to be a little bitch about it? mind your own damn business.

>tells someone to mind their own damn business
>responds to someones statement with "you are simply wrong"

that was between ne and him, and it was settled. you waited until it was settled and came in like a lil bitch. mind your own fuckin beeswax.

>Mr. Wopsle's great-aunt successfully overcame that bad habit of living.

God-tier.

>implying commenting "you are simply wrong" settled an argument
Also, you posted this on a public site, also in reaction to someone's post. I didn't slide into your private dms with someone else. Nice evasion of the fact that you had no substance when arguing your opinion.

>implying there weren't further posts in the contact between us other than the initial posts
mind.
your.
own.
business.

I didn't know that was you replying to him. You did put up some good points. My bad. Apologies for that. But honestly youre acting like a little bitch with this "mind your own business" bs. Try stating the facts instead of being a dick about people getting involved in your "private business". Why come to a thread and refuse to talk?

because you don't have any interest in the conversation! you like dickens, and you weren't the same guy, why waste time arguing with you the point he had? his original point was that dickens had no valuable contribution, more or less. the guy deserved even less of an argument than "you're wrong bro". i wasn't keen on getting lectured by you how to properly argue with someone. if anything, i'd rather you would have commented on say, this post:which was my attempt to have a nice little conversation on dickens, whom i greatly respect, though find a bit long winded at times besides.
plus, the myob stuff was designed to annoy you. which it succeeded in, just as you had annoyed me in pestering me for my throwaway post in which i told a guy on the internet he was wrong.

>the myob stuff was designed to annoy you
No, if it was designed to annoy me, you wouldnt have repeated it 3 times despite me not showing any sign of being annoyed, only commenting how lame that was.
Besides that ye, I was wrong I admit it. And I apologize for it because I was acting like a dick without cause. I read the convo but didnt realize you were the same dude.

take your meds you loser

oh now don't you start.
so, what's your favorite Dickens? I'm reading Pickwick Papers atm, afterwards I intend to read Little Dorrit, which I've heard is his best by many. After that back to the russians. What do you think of the era? It's crazy to think how popular Dickens really was.

Christmas Carol. Brilliant book, honest to god. The first time I read it, I was giving my GCSEs and had a Chemistry exam the next day and I spent all night reading it. Was on the last few pages when my dad walks in and yells at me for a solid 10 minutes for it.
Besides that, I loved Oliver Twist and Great Expectations. I also have a soft spot for a Tale fo Two Cities. I havent read any of his lesser known novels however.
Yeah, it's crazy thinking how popular novelists could get but I've heard comparisons to it being similar to watching a TV Show, so I can picture it a bit but still it really is crazy.

Dickens was the EA of literature

I'm sorry I let that die, I passed the fuck out. Strep throat. I read two cities first, then david copperfield. after reading both in quick succession, i was stricken by the different tone, style, and polish of both works. two cities seemed well sculpted and vibrant, sad and darkly humorous. whereas david copperfield seemed a gigantic bildungsroman that I almost could not finish. It was so long it was mind numbing at times. I can see why people dislike that length he milled out, but imagine living in that time and that Dickens is your favorite popular author, him reaming out page after page was probably a godsend to a lot of literature starved people. Any cultural phenomenon that brings people to read en masse and isn't the level of dogshit like harry potter or twilight (as much as some would like to relegate it that far, it isn't) has my utmost respect. He was beloved by many and still is today, perhaps he was merely a meme of his time. What can you do, you like what you like.