Chemistry

Why aren't there more chemfags on this board? Whats wrong with it?

Chemfag here, fuk u

>niggers

No.

Not the flavor of the month

The best Chemfags become toxic PreMeds assholes (the very best become smug MDs)

The nice Chemfags go to Chem PhD with a grudge for not get accepted into Med School.

I wonder what Brainlet Chemfags who don't get into Grad School due to a low GPA do after they graduate.

Brainlet chem here.
drown in depression and work awful jobs, but at least you can read some cool scientific literature.

a lot of people just like chemistry dude

Chemistry is really fuckign unwelcoming. Nobody trusts the undergrads to study interesting chemistry so the entry level chem classes are tedious as fuck. It's why i switched into math because i could immediately start doing proofs and not do stupid mind numbing memorizations and calculations

Is there anything worthwhile I can do with a Chem degree with a Pharmaceutical focus? I wanna go to grad school eventually but I'm a poorfag whose already in 5 figure debt thanks to undergrad so I figured I should work on paying that off before i go towards a grad degree.

I got memed by Veeky Forums in to taking chemistry over compsci because apparently all the programming jobs are over seas and chem is a booming industry

listening to that was the worst decision with my life. I'm good at chemistry but man is it a shitty degree. Idk now if I should go to grad school or just keep teaching myself programming. My old supervisor has contacted me three times now asking me to come back. The work is pretty cool, doing organic electronics for solar cells and leds, but there doesn't seem to be any industry jobs.

>no
Yes.

Why the racism?

>I wonder what Brainlet Chemfags who don't get into Grad School due to a low GPA do after they graduate.
I freeze a pound of candy every day with liquid nitrogen, bash it with a pestle until it fits into centrifuge tubes, dissolve it in water, and feed it to an HPLC autosampler.
Every day. For eight hours.

how'd you find your job? at this point I'd be happy with anything that gave me industry experience

go to med school idiot or become a pharmacist with a PhD do research fool

All the chemists I meet seem to be insecure about physicists. Chemists are like old grandpa

i couldnt get into medschool even if i wanted, i fucked around in my few semesters so i only graduated with a 3.7

my first few semester* - what I was in my first year fucking around and not studying

I think I'd be a shit doctor anyway

i study chemistry

whats up

whats your field?

anyone have experience becoming a chemistry teacher for highschool? I've been thinking about it. I'm not a burger so the salary is actually not too bad (50-60 k starting 90-100k after 10 years)

I've heard you get really burned out after awhile
it's not like university where you can trade courses around with other profs, you're stuck teaching the same thing year after year until you die

would you rather work in retail?

Load HPLC and NMR samples for a pharma company, otherwise going to pharmacy school is probably your best bet. Real talk, you're most likely to be doing qualitative analysis and shit if you go into the pharmaceutical industry. There's an exceptionally small minority of actual synthetic chemists in industry.

I'd recommend doing pharmacy technician first though.

man what are chemists even supposed to do then

Being a teacher is not good, with a BSc you jsut end up doing brain dead lab tech work, you go to gradschool and spend 9 years doing a phd and post docing to only maybe get a job as a prof and if not make the same as someone with a BEng. Shits fucked, why did I take this meme degree.

I know exactly how you feel. I don't even like chemistry that much, I just wanted to be employable

Lol, how many materials chemists have you met? The chemists who actually fuck with physicists are pretty comfy with them. Hell, in my solid-state classes I had physics professors who taught straight math and were very welcoming of chemists, especially physical and inorganic chemists.
Brutal, you should go to graduate school.
I've noticed this as well. All the positions that I've applied for wound up being strictly analytical ones that are relatively competitive, and honestly stuff you could teach a high school graduate to do. The one golden lining is that those who stick with those companies have opportunity to move up within the analytical division to management slots.
Where did you go to school? Place must've had a bad chem department. I'm at a state school in the US that isn't even an academic powerhouse, and after my sophomore year I was considered qualified to do research with one of the professors. Granted, it was mostly bitch work around the lab, but there was still a fairly welcoming environment to those who were interested in building their academic career.
The nice thing in chem is that there's a lot of b-list schools and even some public ivies that are starving for chemistry graduate students. Even having a GPA below 2.5 doesn't entirely disqualify you from getting accepted into a graduate program of some sort. Down side is you won't have that educational prestige that an MIT grad would have.

>man what are chemists even supposed to do then
I mean, if I can't find a gig when I finish my master's degree I'd probably go back for a MEng in EE.
I don't know about you guys but doing a lot of physical chemistry work has made me work with a decent amount of circuitry and a shit ton of electron physics.