So are we all in agreement that the entire of Postmodernism is essentially drivel?

So are we all in agreement that the entire of Postmodernism is essentially drivel?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postmodern_literature#Examples_of_postmodern_literature
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I once accidentally the whole bottle of Postmodernism

lot of crying 49 much?

>learning that word from a joe rogan podcast
>thinking it means what kermit thinks it means

go on, then, tell us what it means.

You don't have to authority to start this thread again.

Board ▼ Settings Home
Veeky Forums - Literature

Return Catalog Bottom
Update Auto
Post a Reply

View Announcement
...Anonymous
05/13/17(Sat)19:39:18 No.9502300
111 KB
111 KB JPG
...Anonymous
05/13/17(Sat)19:45:11 No.9502317
(OP) #
I once accidentally the whole bottle of Postmodernism
...Anonymous
05/13/17(Sat)20:25:31 No.9502448
lot of crying 49 much?
...Anonymous
05/13/17(Sat)20:27:48 No.9502459
(OP) #
>learning that word from a joe rogan podcast
>thinking it means what kermit thinks it means
#
...Anonymous
05/14/17(Sun)02:47:23 No.9503684
#
go on, then, tell us what it means.
...Anonymous
05/14/17(Sun)02:48:34 No.9503688
(OP) #
You don't have to authority to start this thread again.
Post a Reply
Return Catalog Top
Update Auto
5 / 0 / 6 / 1

[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

Read Pynchon and tell me that you idiot.
You have no idea what postmodernism is in literature.

It's what it's called when a book has homos in it, right?

Yes
We need to return to the logos

Yes.

Of course not. Silly to think we could agree on anything.

It can be disorienting, obscure and sometimes masturbatory. If you didn't get much out of it you didn't put much into it.

Define postmodernism, OP.

Actually, I dare ANYONE who thinks they actually have the knowledge and authority to define postmodernism.

I can't wait to laugh at dilettante replies.

BTW I am a tenured professor who teaches literature, some of which is from the period COLLOQUIALLY referred to as 'postmodern'.

It's not an academically accepted term, BTW.

Post-Modernism is what came after Modernism.

>(Postmodernism) is not an academically accepted term..
LOL, where are you tenured? Canada?

That doesn't define the term except to explain its etymology.

So all these are garbage?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postmodern_literature#Examples_of_postmodern_literature

post-structuralist crap that usually has gimmick so more people will buy it

The US of A. Top 20.

Define gimmick/s evident in 'post-structuralist crap'.

some contrived novelty added to the work that makes it show up in a lot of New York Times articles

Just because NYT reacts to a work in a certain way doesn't make a feature of a work a 'contrived novelty'.
Give me an example of a work with a 'contrived novelty'.

Postmodernism can be described simply as the validation of all views and beliefs.

That's what Modernism had wrong. Modernism tried to do the same thing but failed miserably, mainly because of manifestos and too many agreements in the literary world.

Postmodernism transcends that very limitation and nothing can really describe Postmodernism as the absolute definition, but if you think of any way to describe Postmodernism, that definition is a true definition.

Postmodernism is bullshit to the fullest extent and yet, everything that is explained about Postmodernism is also bullshit.

Nope.

Modernism was a loose collective of ivory-tower idealists who sought to take literature as a whole to new artistic and expressive heights. They succeeded and failed, in seperate ways, IMO.

A French man jerking off into his own mouth

"I took out all the literary elements to this story of a shitty relationship and reference real things, like, like burgerking man"

"like war, and aliens, alienation, get it\, man?"

"all my themes are sexual, profane and disgusting, so cool man"

"I wrote about current events and just replaced all the names and setting with stuff youre familiar with, cause it could like happen to you, you know,man?"

"I wrote a diary and added a bunch of made up stuff, then showed to my academic friends and a publisher, man"

"gods not real, buy my book, bro, and support my patreon to my weekly recordings of me sitting in my converted guest room sayting like, PROFOUND things man and having like, real dicussions about like, real shit, and stuff, manf!"

"like drugs man"

"daves not here, man"

If postmodernism only started in the 60s, then what the fuck is Finnegans Wake?

its what happens when you give a really drunk irisman a typewriter

Finnegans Wake is modernist.

Podmodernism is defined by more by self-referentiality and intertextuality with low-culture (comic books, B-movies etc) as opposed to the high-culture affectations of modernism.

>self-referentiality and intertextuality with low-culture
sounds like joyce

and Caravaggio

>tfw post-modernism started in the 16th century

FW is full of self-reference and intertextuality. wtf?

If postmodernism only started in the 60s, then what the fuck is Dada?

This is Veeky Forums. You should at least be able to read a full sentence.

FW has no high-culture affectations. it's both raunchy and literary

>He didn't read Finnegans W'ake

Is this postmodernism or post-modernism and what is proto-post-modernism?

Not gonna lie, former postmodernist here. This is fucking hilarious watching postmodernism crash and burn. But in all seriousness we can't let this movement get the western canon.

Postmodernism is a rejection of the idea that there is a priori 'correct' truths or narratives that can explain everything which can be discovered, but instead we should realise these are humanly constructed ideas which will always be influenced by the person and culture by which they are created.

For example is killing your enemies right or wrong? A Christian might say no, killing is always wrong you must love them. A soldier might say yes, that's what it means to be a good soldier. Neither is objectively right or wrong, they both have viewpoints influenced by the culture around them. It's more productive to understand this than disregard context and search for one 'correct' answer, because whatever 'correct' answer you think you've found is going to be equally biased by your own views and culture.

>BTW I am a tenured professor who teaches literature
no you aren't

It's more like postmodernism realises the difference between "low-culture" and "high-culture" is an arbitrary one decided more by economic factors than any inherent "lowness" or "highness", and points this out by referencing BOTH equally.

If they only referenced low-culture you'd just have a different kind of modernist narrative.