Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinine#History
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i made fried chicken for breakfast this morning but your thread pointless af

Turmeric
Not tumeric
TUR MER IC

More like TUMORic amirite

Is turmeric becoming a meme or something? I keep seeing it mentioned. Where I live turmeric is as about as 'unique' as cumin. So what's the deal?

It's recently been promoted as a health food. You can buy turmeric supplements. I'm guessing that this is turning more and more flyovers onto the fact that turmeric exists.

I've been cooking with it for years since it's in many curries, and I fucking love curry. But it's only within the last 2 years or so that I've started seeing the root for sale in normal supermarkets rather than Asian ones. Heck, even the big supermarket in the Hispanic part of my city often has it in the produce section, and my city has a very small Asian and Indian population so that's the last place I'd expect to find it.

I like adding it to my recipie for roast potatoes and poultry skin. Adds color, and a touch of earthiness... also anticarcinogenic and If I remember correctly, is an adaptogen . Meh. I could do without, but it's comfy.

So it's sort of a superfood now? I see. I don't think people in my country are aware of the health benefits. They just use it because it's what they've been doing for ages. Maybe I'll use more turmeric in my cooking now too.

>So it's sort of a superfood now?
Yeah.

The main things I use it for are curries and a couple other Thai foods, like sateh/satay. I use the root whenever possible for those.

I also keep a bottle of the cheap ground stuff. It's left over from before I was able to get the fresh root. Yes, it's flavorless, but that's the point--I kept it to use as a food coloring. I like to make beer-and-cheddar as well as corn soup and sometimes the color isn't ideal. But a little turmeric powder fixes that, and it's healthy too.

holy shit

>They just use it because it's what they've been doing for ages.
Which countries? Any country that's been cooking with turmeric knows about its medicinal/health properties.

>Which countries
country*

>superfood

No, fuck off. That's such a retarded marketing term designed to get Pinterest- and Facebook addicted stay-at-homes to take an interest in healthy food. It's retarded to label everything beneficial a superfood.

You notice how they're all meats, fruits and vegetables, herbs and spices, etc.? That's just healthy, unprocessed food and should constitute the majority of your diet anyway.

>That's such a retarded marketing term designed to get....

Yes, but that's exactly correct in this case. Nobody is claiming it is or is not a "superfood" in the literal sense. We're saying it is marketed like one.

>> they're all meats, fruits and vegetables, herbs and spices, etc.? That's just healthy, unprocessed food and should constitute the majority of your diet anyway.

Sure. But you seem to be lumping all unprocessed foods together. That's misleading. For example, kale is a fuck of a lot more nutritious than lettuce even though they are both "vegetables".

>You notice how they're all meats
no meat has ever aquired the status of superfood. fish, maybe but that's because a lot of people don't like fish. meat is already consumed in such high quantities that no person could be deficient in any of the nutrients present in it nor could a recommendation for increasing consumption be made without considering the risks.

Malaysia. I've never once been told that turmeric is anticarcinogenic.

It's the main ingredient in curry. So England/India obviously.
You're telling me these countries are known for their knowledge of medicine and cuisine?

Non-mammal fat is better than mammal fat, so duck and goose could be "superfood" when compared to beef and pork.
Not chicken of course, it's too mainstream to be a superfood.

You mean curcuma?

Not anticarcinogen per se but anti-septic and anti-inflammatory

India has Ayurveda and was a highly evolved in medicine before the industrial age. Turmeric is hailed as just about the most medicinal thing that exists. It was used as an anti-septic on cuts as an anti-inflammatory when consumed in milk for centuries at least. A lot of early western medicine was derived from extracts of Indian and Chinese natural medicine. Do you think people just stumbled upon tree bark extracts that happened to cure malaria?

>tumeric
Retard.

>Do you think people just stumbled upon tree bark extracts that happened to cure malaria?
Y-y-yes, unless you think tree bark has naturally occurring medical labels?

No, the natural medicine of native cultures was analysed and the active ingredient extracted and sold as medicine. The native cultures had always known of the medicinal properties of their local flora and fauna.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinine#History

This is not just something that was done in the 1800s either. Even today extensive studies are being done on turmeric based on Indian claims of its medicinal properties.

Babby question here, but at what point is the turmeric added?

in the batter presumably. You can't add it after it's been cooked, gonna taste nasty.

That's native, not indian