Responsible for the most iconic book series and TV series of our generation

>responsible for the most iconic book series and TV series of our generation
>millions of fans eagerly awaiting the conclusion
>he can't finish it

What the heck is his problem?

>What the heck is his problem?
He's too fat.

He's grown very wealthy, and he knows that he doesn't actually need to finish it anymore, and that the show writers will complete the series with or without him, and that his legacy is already established, and that many of his book readers have already lost interest, and there are far more people who watch the show than read the books now, and so his incentive for finishing a ~1500 page book is lower than it ever has been in his career, and he is sad about it, but also secretly relieved because he can die fat and satisfied no matter what he does.

Well how about:
>millions of fans eagerly awaiting the conclusion

He's waiting to die so Brandon Sanderson can complete it for him.

Millennials should be sent to reeducation camps.

How old are you?

>autistic tolkien fanboy

Face it, George RR Martin vastly improved the fantasy genre with his sense of realism, adult themes, taxes, sex and violence.

but Malazan is better

He will die unfulfilled. He sold his magnum opus to the Hollywood Jew and the TV series will decide how the story actually ends.

I read the previous books when I was 17 and now I don't think I will bother to finish the further ones. Not because I've grown out of it or something but because all this waiting means that he doesn't know where to take it from here. He didn't have it all planned from the beginning as any great author would have, he just took some stories from european history, created a mildly imaginative world and that's it. He didn't mean to say anything with his books nor did he feel the need to tie it up somehow, it was only amateurish. When he does finish it it's gonna suck and he knows it (last 2 books already kinda do). Hell, I bet he even wishes he will die before he can finish it.

This. It is not published because they don't want it to be yet.

He doesn't want to do it. He's in a narrative corner, everything in the books slowed down and it's boring to write. I barely finished just reading AFFC, I'd kill myself if I actually had to write it and three other 1000-1500 page books.

Shut the fuck up

I will admit that I find his books very enjoyable but as soon as you get to the fourth book you realise something is wrong. He got so fucking bogged down in plot and wrote himself into a corner and its perfectly understandable in a way why he is so slow and probably hates writing at this point and just doesn't care but doesn't want to disappoint the millions of people who want to read the ending either.

He's rich, the last two books were mediocre, AWOW is also probably mediocre and he knows it, so he's just putting it off and hating it.

Kys pleb. The Sopranos is far and away the best and most iconic show of our generation.

That's what happens when you build a web of dozens of characters in a dozen places and juggling all their storylines. He's written himself into several knots and frustrated himself. He's also making bank off the TV show (and he told the TV writers all the big points so they'll complete it if he dies) and merch, so why even bother completing the books? He'll piss off book fans sure, but when you're rolling in money and TV fans, I doubt he really feels bad. He probably realizes he's near death, so he may as well enjoy the time that's left for him, instead of writing for a series that's lost to him.

Diner's dragons will kill the zombies and provide dragonglass to arm the soliders, then Sad Snow will become the King of the North and Diner will be the Queen of the South. The end.

Happy endings are basically at odds with his cynical style, so he's written himself into a corner.

He could always have the Others win. That seems more Martin-like.

too fat

My sides!

He doesn't know how to finish a story.

He isn't an amazing writer. He knows he doesn't know how to write a decent conclusion, because it's one of the hardest elements of plotting.

You could argue that Martin modernized the fantasy genre or made it more commonly "accessible", but you could hardly call it an improvement.

>Our generation
>Sopranos

Get off the internet pops.

>2006.
>A whole generation ago.

>responsible for the most iconic book series

Um. No.

Harry Potter, hellooooo?

Take this shit to or or something
I don't even care if it's a book
it's still basically capeshit and the only people who care about it are Redditors

>most iconic
I don't like Harry Potter, but I have to agree, Harry Potter is ten times more iconic and influential than song of ice and fire.

Was he even well off before the tv show? Did he become rich only in his 60s?

Wrote himself into a corner boasting how his fantasy novel differs differently due to being realistic,

>Possible ending is a cliche

Confusion?

The miniseries contradicts the books so widely I can imagine that he has no idea how to resolve plots that involve characters still.walking around in the other media. Which is Canon at this point?

....Yeah

ten years isn't a generation

Seems like he just wants to do his Targaryen Silmarillion or whatever.

He recognizes that he's a hack who has written himself into a corner.

>Most iconic tv series

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I heard a rumour that it was originally going to be a trilogy that ended with Jaime becoming king.

Might have been bullshit, I can't remember the sauce.

And Sanderson will write a better book than Martin, at that.

Fat man is playing hard to get

I think he just is waiting for the tv show to finish, see how fans react to the ending he told them he was heading towards and adjust course accordingly

He probably has a finished manuscript laying around to be discovered and published after his heart gives out during a particularly rough shit. That way if it sucks, he'll never have to know that people hated it and his fans can just respond to any criticism with "well, it WAS unfinished."

I'm pretty sure he said that they cut 1/5 out of Dance with Dragons because it was too long.
That means he already had a very sizable chunk of his next book finished 6 years ago.

My God, the PAGES and PAGES of useless fucking shit this man has produced. All that fucking walking, all those descriptions of food. "A Game of Thrones" was pretty tightly plotted. What the fuck happened?

It was originally going to be a trilogy then GRRM just lost his mind with too many POVs.
Ever heard of the Meereenese knot?
He was stuck on what was practically a side plot for over a year trying to work out what to do.

He's human and subject to the frailties of the human condition especially in an aging man. Success came too late for him. I imagine he has to pee a lot and then finds he can't go due to an enlarged prostate. That takes up the bulk of his time.

>most iconic tv series of our generation
>not the wire or breaking bad

Most of the people who run around claiming GRRM is a great writer can't understand those classics.

and here i went around thinking that one spends time and not pages

breaking bad has sort of been forgotten about already, the normies have moved on to new things.

How realistic is A Song of Ice and Fire

No.

>the most iconic book series and TV series of our generation

It's about as realistic as Harry Potter, only with more adult words.

And just for kicks, he'll do a whole series as long as GoT about something like the Dance of Dragons and finish it in under a decade, without breaking stride on his other projects at all.

He could have spent more time on Westeros' tax policies.

Honestly, I could take and leave the books as just an interesting, if overblown story about political intrigue, geopolitics and some interesting characters. Thing is, the actual world of Westeros is pretty fucking boring, being some sort of "fantasy, but not too much fantasy 'cause this is for adults", and then a shitton of characters you don't care about, dragging the plot down to a fucking halt.

Six books and he's finally, vaguely, starting to get into the endgame of the evil winter people. And god, the cliffhangers and the fucking bait-and-switch character deaths. I've already read six books you fat fuck, you don't need to fucking tease my interest anymore. Just fucking tell the story.

>vastly improved the fantasy genre
"how much cleaner can we make this turd?"

>Tfw I got to the 4th book and realized it was shit
>cant stop reading the series though because I have already started it
I envy those who can read a series without finishing it. Shit drives me insane at night hoping the fat fuck doesnt die so I can know the ending. I'm 23 now. I may never know the ending to asoiaf and if I do with his pace it wont be till I am 30. Lesson learned. Dont trust meme authors or start a series unless its already finished.

>taxes
He doesn't even talk about anyone's tax policy in the books...

>Gets mad due to not knowing the tax policy from Tolkien.
>He himself doesn't have a tax policy besides some one-of-notes

Martin will always and forever be inferior to Tolkien because Tolkien has a vision, a transcendent vision, and Martin demonstrably does not.

he fucked it up, the books went to shit half way through, as did the show

actually you can find lots of narrative threads that didn't go anywhere/he couldn't make them do anything interesting. All throughout the books, especially in the 1st. It's pretty fucking messy.

Better than most fantasy novels. This includes LOTR

>the most iconic book series and TV series of our generation
It isn't even very good. "muh gritty realism" and "There's no heroes in life lol"

>zombies and dragons
Gee user, I don't know.

People like that

>autistic tolkien fanboy
do you critisize Tolkien or a fanboy who has no impact on literature?
Tolkien was a badass motherfucker
Martin is a fucking Hack, even Stephen King can surpass that stupid fat cunt.

Most people have shit taste.

> never read a page of GGRM or watched a single minute of the show

anyone else continually amazed that normies consume nerd culture now?

every film or book is just = neckbeard capeshit, neckbeard fantasy

I agree that those books are all better than any of the GRRM books, but the quote is absolute bullshit. In my option one of the worst things aspiring writers can do is limit themselves to reading brilliant literature. It legitimately helps to see shitty prose to understand good prose. I do not consider the time I have spent reading shitty YA and fanfiction to be a wast because they taught me to better appreciate what makes the classics so good.
I can kind of see it from the point of view of someone who doesn't want to waste any time, but that's only if you have a natural talent for writing/understanding literature or if you have no interest in doing those.

Is it as comfy as LotR? I read the hobbit and LotR this spring and I must say they were just about the most pleasant experiences I've had just reading in a long while. It sort of reinvigorated my love of reading. Since April (when I read them) I have been reading like a madman. I actually am starting to be kind of happy again. It also inspired me to get outside more and I have started to hike out into the mountains near where I live and read up in nature. It's been a while since I've been this happy. I didn't even realize I was unhappy until I became happy again.

I absolutely fucking hate it. It used to be that fantasy and sci-fi shit was a semi-obscure genre that was a way for the truly autistic to recognize each other and even have a scale for who was nerdier than the ready. Don't get me wrong, this original "nerd culture" was pretty cancerous, but it was exclusive and actually required work to understand all the refernces (some of these people had damn near photographic memories for this shit). But now these normie faggots just watch a couple Spider-Man movies and act all proud of how "nerdy" they are. It has completely diminished the actual work part of being a nerd and just given Hollywood free reins to shit all over old classically nerdy franchises. I want to shit myself with rage.

>4,164 pages approx.
>Malazan is almost triple that

This is what I tell myself when I indulge in a guilty pleasure of mine that is listening to videos by female YA writers on youtube

>post some low level bait
>come back few days later
>multiple people have took the bait
>I am left disappointed in Veeky Forums

Sort yourselves out guys.

It's an old bait picture from about 2011 or so.

I think he's specifically said he doesn't want anyone to finish it if he dies, and his notes won't be made available.

>age of mythology
>masterpiece

This please me.

"“I will confess, I do wish I could clone myself, or find a way to squeeze more hours into the day, or a way to go without sleep. But this is what it is, so I keep juggling,” he added before listing his commitments: The Winds of Winter, five new TV shows for HBO, and four new Wild Card books."

This fat piece of shit just doesn't give a fuck anymore.

Man never cared to begin with

>amazing writer
You're joking right? He's made a fantastic story, that i cant dispute, but his writing itself is utter garbage a lot of his phrasing is purely for shock, i dont want to read "cunt" during a sex scene, its just lazy writing which has a slight taboo feel to the masses who in turn perceive it as good writing.
I tried to read them, but they are terrible books.

Sopranos belongs to gen x.
Our generation's shows are The Young Pope, The Leftovers and Avatar: The Last Airbender

Reread the dude you're responding to, for fucks sake.

>embarrassing level of reading comprehension

Wew lad, get out of here.

How does The Young Pope belong to "your generation" more than to any other?

I hope this means you fuckers will see the glory and beauty of the Church.

The pope in this show is not even Christian. It is a mindless caricature of generic intransigence with no purpose, made by someone who sees faith from the outside and hasn't the slightest grasp of it.

>Stalker and Dark Souls being grouped with the likes of lol, Cod and Elder Scrolls

Yeah, and he sees Saints, performs miracles, and meats all requirements to be elected a Pope, how exactly? He's as Catholic as any other real Pope. Besides, show is fully Paolo Sorrentino, if you've seen his previous work, you'll know he is authentic in what he depicts. He will throw doubt and sexuality in it for good measure, but he won't go further.

You heard half right.
In the original trilogy Jamie was essentially Cersie and when Joff dies fighting Robb she takes the throne for herself.

People seem to think that his original idea was vastly different its essentially what we got with a few different things like Cat heading north with Bran and Rickon. Tyrion falling in love with Arya and Jon too. But other than that its exactly the same for the most part Jon was even a secret Targ in the original draft.

I read it just after holding down a 7ft autismo to yank his veins out, was a little jarred. My mistake lads.

can't write and eat at the same time

Martin has mentioned he has specific instructions to destroy all his manuscripts and forbid further works if he should die.

What about his browsing history?

You're right. Seven years is a generation

>Stalker and Dark Souls being on top row

This was meant to trick me

>implying that morrowind is bad

Kys shamalafam

Yeah, and Kafka told his friend to burn all his work.

>comparing Kafka to Marin
unironically kill yourself

also Kafka said that to his close friend who he knew would take it ironically

Martin's is a legally binding arrangement with his publisher