Planning to make a cottage pie with some blue cheese melted into the beef. Anyone tried anything like this...

Planning to make a cottage pie with some blue cheese melted into the beef. Anyone tried anything like this, have any advice?

I think that could work. Make your filling a little more dry than normal. Put filling (cooled down) in your dish. Stick some chunks of blue cheese here and there in it. Mash on top, bake.

Do not call it cottage pie in my presence ever again.

Get over yourself, cupcake ^^

I'll fuck your face if you keep sweet talking me like that.

Chop up some celery real fine and mix it in.

Yeah, it's definitely not a traditional cottage pie, but it''ll pretty much be the standard cottage pie setup except with that one big change.

So do you have any thoughts on how to make my not-cottage pie taste nice?

Will keep these in mind, thanks

>So do you have any thoughts on how to make my not-cottage pie taste nice?

Biggest factors I've encountered when making cottage pie is:
1) quality of the meat. Spring for grass-fed, it makes a big difference.
2) good stock. A good homemade stock contributes both flavor and texture.

I like to use garlic-rosemary mashed potatoes but that might be a bit much with the blue cheese you're using.

I actually made somthing very similar last weekend op.

My beef was slow and low cooked in beer, spices, and veggies for 5-6ish hours until it was all tender and delicious. Then I made mashed potatoes and melted the bleu cheese into that and put a little extra on top. Broiled the top for a little brownness and melted the cheese.

It was really good. Hope yours turns out well too.

I'm thinking I might give the meat a little more sweetness/acidity (probably tomato of some sort) than usual to offset the cheese a bit, does that sound like a good idea?

Damn, that sounds tasty. Mine's not quite the same though, I'm mixing the cheese into the meat, not the mash. Been wanting to try this since last time I made cottage pie - I tried sticking a little wedge of spare roquefort in some of the leftover pie before sticking it in the microwave for lunch, and it was great.

>I'm thinking I might give the meat a little more sweetness/acidity (probably tomato of some sort) than usual to offset the cheese a bit, does that sound like a good idea?

That does sound good. However, I would choose Worcestershire sauce for that purpose. It's acidic, a little sweet, and its taste really complements the beef. I normally use some in my filling, maybe 1 tb per lb of meat. Double or triple that is what I'm thinking.

You could add more carrots if you want extra sweetness, and/or caramelize your onions.

Those sounds like good ideas. I'll include those as well as a bit of extra tomato.

use oxtail instead of mince
get some cheek or shank in there too

My advice is to put the cheese in the potatoes, not the beef.

I would make regular cottage pie and then serve with with blue cheese sauce since it's too dry

I love bleu cheese until you heat it to the melting point. That gritty texture.

>bleu
Cretin.

OP here, reporting back. I ended up using some cheese mixed into the meat, but not too much, it was very subtle there, and then I also added a bunch of chunks between the meat and potato layers. Was very well received, a successful experiment. Thanks for the tips.

Quit being a fucking queer and call it shephards pie like everyone else.

Just look up a steak and Stilton pie recipe and go from there.

>call it shephards pie like everyone else.
Most people call it shepherd's pie.
Retard.

You know shepherds pie and cottage pie are two separate dishes right

it's not a shepherd's pie unless it uses lamb, you disgusting, subhuman american mongrel

That distinction is a modern one, false etymology driven by assumption and recent cookbook writers to lazy to do primary research

sauce faggot

Mrs. Beeton's