Why is math so boring

please tell me why you science geeks think. Math is cool.

In the beginning, it is amusing to be good at something everyone else sucks at. And then after you are deep enough you start to see the really interesting results and how everything connects.

We came for the ego but stayed for the beauty.

L

Wrong and that process you described is precisely why I hate how it's taught

Learning math is like learning and instrument. The beginning sucks, but it's so fun after you get to a certain point.

I fucking hated math before linear algebra.

>please tell me why you science geeks think. Math is cool.
lmfao back to schoo, kevin

>it is amusing to be good at something everyone else sucks at.

Even if everyone else sucks at it because they find it boring and don't try?

Explain yourself. Just do so in all the detail you need to figure out you are wrong. If you are able to type out an entire post without noticing you are wrong, I'll do you the favor of telling you why you are wrong.

Whatever. Back in my day I was a jock. And we jocks rule. Nerds drool.

R

>Even if everyone else sucks at it because they find it boring and don't try?

Nope, that's the brainlet crutch. They suck at it because they were born too stupid to be good at it. You can tell because math is not only the pretty symbol manipulation but puzzle solving in general. At least at the lower level (see how many kids' olympiads ask problems about finding perfect strategies in some simple puzzle or game).

But you and I are just the same. You were good at sports, weren't you? Now think about the average guy. The average guy sucks at sports. You loved the ego boost of being good at something that everyone else sucks at.

You and I are the same person.

K

I guess that is true...in theory.

J

It's too concrete . We need to emphasize the abstract more. Get rid of all computation tests and just do proofs.

I hated math that's close to the real world and thought I was bad at it all my life. When things got more abstract I finally found something I could enjoy.

Well, notice that I just mentioned that it's fun being good at something everyone else sucks at. I did not mention the specific math. I never mention computations or proofs. You just think I meant something or the other, and you are wrong.

Also, brainlets can barely do computations and that is why schools will never teach anything beyond that.

I can barely do computations. I am the brainlet. Abstract is easier.

When did I ever claim that? Reread your post. You don't get to pick and choose what my post was referencing . You don't get to pretend there's ego. Anyone can be good at math

I think you have it all wrong. Computation is the basis for discovery. The abstract is the method for consolidating the knowledge you have discovered. If you suck at computations then you are wasting your time doing abstract math. Yeah, maybe you can write a proof in the extremely controlled environment that is a classroom, but you will never discover anything non-trivial. If you can't handle computations you are barely useful. You are no better than a computer proof-checking algorithm.

>Anyone can be good at math
That is what we tell brainlets at conferences.
Hint: Nothing we tell brainlets is true.

Anyone can be good at math.
Computations are worthless. We should focus on logic in elementary classrooms. Your view on mathematics is flawed and reads like an undergraduate.

Math is having an argument on Facebook with symbols no one can understand, but when you are right, your opponent goes "fuck, actually you are correct" instead of just exiting the comment thread when he runs out of gas

It's so fucking satisfying man

man i dislike people like you

>Computations are worthless.
There is nothing more ignorant than this. Computations are the pre-packaged symbolic manipulations mechanisms that have already been found. Elementarily this can be stuff like the division algorithms for numbers. Going a little deeper, the rules for computing symbolic derivatives and integrals are computations.

There is a reason why after we discovered the symbolic manipulation mechanism behind calculus, we were able to prove so many new theorems and solve so many old and new problems. Without that mechanism, there is so much that would be impossible to know. Saying that these computations are useless is the most ignorant statement someone could say.

>Your view on mathematics is flawed and reads like an undergraduate.
Ironic given that by your statements it is clear that you have never proven a theorem outside a classroom. You've never discovered anything. You have 0 published papers. You literally do not know how to discover mathematics.

Sophomoric at best. Try harder .

M

Z

Math boring? Wow!

I love math; I should do it more often.

I think. Math is cool. Because I grew up with Legos, and would unknowingly use it to build stuff. Only difference now is I knowingly use it to build stuff.

I honestly enjoy math more than I enjoy the applications it has in the natural sciences with maybe the exception of some really far out there physics phenomena.

What, people who like to win?