I'll usually eat anything, and I wanted to know

I'll usually eat anything, and I wanted to know.

I didn't expect this level of awful.

English (or Australian) people, how did you learn to enjoy this? Does it take years of force feeding? Seasoning? What are the secrets?

Inbreeding

You can get used to just about anything no matter how much it sucks

Why i still a work is an excellent example of this

I'm Mexican and had vegemite once, it was great. Now I still feel bad because they don't sell it over here

What didn't you like? Did you just eat too much and it was salty?

I was underwhelmed, having eaten brewer's yeast for decades, the brown stuff, not the yellow stuff, so the taste was familiar to me.

>Does it take years of force feeding? Seasoning? What are the secrets?
Speaking for the Forgotten People That Eats this Shit Too its usually years of famine or rationing. Its better than potatoes.

I hope there's more at the end than just getting used to it. People seem to genuinely love this.

does it taste like instant yeast? I like the taste and smell of that.

No, it's not even that salty. The initial taste isn't half bad. It reminds me of a yeast product flavor enhancer we use in soups here. It's the aftertaste mostly, there's a bitter and undefinable after taste that is hard to describe.

Maybe somewhat. Dead yeast sludge is part of it. Marmite is glutamate tar.

Maybe best to describe that undefinable flavor is the smell of stale beer the day after a party. The beer that dropped on the floor and now is all sticky and smells horrible.

Did you have it on a sandwich? Did you eat it pure?

I heard vegemite tastes a bit better to people who are new to these products, but I couldn't get it here.

It was on white bread, but I do like that kind of taste. Maybe Mexican food gets you into those tastes the yuros and murricans can't take

It's because Marmite has a ton of MSG in it.

There's nothing bitter about it

It's bitter.

Maybe it had gone off?

I'm almost certain you used too much of it. It's not peanut butter. A dollop the size of a large jelly bean is sufficient for a couple slices of bread.

Can it go off? I think it's probably because I used too much. Wikipedia does claim it's made with yeast from beer and bitters though.

I didn't use much, but not as little as you suggest. Will try again with just a very little bit.

>go to England for about a week for vacation
>buy into Marmite meme and get a jar
>go back to my Eastern European rathole and spread the spice on toast
>notbad.jpg
>start using it for a few weeks, then other food supplements come in and kind of forget about it
>check it one year later
>it still looks good to eat and the taste hasn't changed at all
Can some Marmite scientists tell me if this is normal or not?

I also hated it first time I tried it
Secret is to spread it ultra thin
Also mix it with other things, stews and broth do particularly well from it

There is no secret. My people are wrong and we should repent. Yeast spreads are as rank as they sound.

>Marmite
>Australian
Fuck off cunt. We're 90% Vegemite, 10% Promite.

If you want an argument ask a Kiwi what they think of British Marmite, apparently they can taste a difference between theirs and the British stuff.

>yeast product flavor enhancer we use in soups
You can use Vegemite for this as well. Put a spoon in a curry or stew is fucking god tier as well.

All the black yeast spreads last literally forever. The shit takes forever to go bad. It's why it's in military ration packs; keeps well and foreigners wont eat it.

Put it on toast with some butter and it's amazing. Or in a cheese sandwich.

It can make a fatty eat greens.

It's so salty it basically never goes bad as long as you keep the jar shut

With sharp cheddar on toast, or with a fried egg on toast is delicious.

I'm from the USA and I really like Bovril and butter on toast

What's the difference between vegemite and marmite?

Vegemite is better.

Vegemite is a bit more solid

You might be eating it wrong.
The way to see if you really like it is to put it VERY lightly on hot, buttered toast. Less than a quarter of the toast should have any Marmite on it at all. You sort of dab it with a knife on different areas of the toast.

This is how i eat it, and spread very thin. I have a friend that uses a squeeze tube full of the stuff on his bread tho, idk how he can stand the amount he uses

>ultra thin

wtf? I slather this shit on toast like peanut butter?

Try adding it to stews and soups it's a flavor multiplier like MSG

>eating Vegemite with a cup of sugar stirred in it

toasted multigrain bread
heavily buttered
spread a blob about the size of a chick pea thinly over the bread

it's the fucking best

i used to be infuriated by aussies fraudulently claiming that vegemite is better than marmite, until i realised that marmite in australia isn't the same as marmite in the uk

Goes great with congee

OP this guy has nailed it. It's all about the butter or cheese. I'd probably use two chickpeas worth, and I use 1.5tsp cottage cheese instead of butter. Butter tastes better but for brekkie cottage cheese fills you much better

Fucks sake, I meant this guy

>not eating vegemite and chip sandwhiches

This is the only correct way to eat Marmite

>Promite
Is that when you level up from Vegimite?

Where the heck can I find this in burgerland?

OP here. Hope I'm not angering ancient English gods by using a tortilla (was out of bread). Tried it this way:
>Half a tortilla
>Butter
>Ultra thin Marmite; about 1.5 chickpea worth.
>Some goat cheese

It was pretty good! I think I can even up the dosage quite a bit. Thanks for the tips, chaps!

Bovril is vastly superior to marmite and you're a faggot if you think otherwise.

Patrician detected. But lets not hate on marmite, as they are both god tier spreads. the real enemy here is nutella.

Agreed. Bovril spread thick on toast is the shit.