I want to read the Bible. What's the best English translation?

I want to read the Bible. What's the best English translation?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deuterocanonical_books
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Something is always lost in translation, so there isn't a single best one. A Veeky Forumsfag made a handy chart.

Personally I use NRSV mostly because it's the standard one used in academia, and is very readable.

What kind of differences are there between the denominations bibles?

Most obviously the canon, Catholics have more books than Protestants, Eastern Orthodox have more books than Catholics. Also differences in source texts, Eastern Orthodox use the Greek translation of the Hebrew scriptures for their Old Testament, Jews only use the standard Hebrew text that was settled on around 200 AD and ignore earlier sources like the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Goddamn what a stupid chart. The fact that it was made in Paint (poor text anti aliasing) should be warning enough.

What's wrong with it?

Why would the canon or denomintationality change?

Just don't fall for the King James meme please.
Also protip:read the New Testament first

For one it says "Which bible should I get?", as if such a vague title were applicable only to English translations of the Bible. A better chart name would be "Which English translation of the bible should I get", and better yet, specifically, which Publisher and edition they should get.

And it doesn't even include text samples from each version, to allow the reader to compare from the chart itself. It's all very low effort and pitiful, which truly makes it a Veeky Forums original.

Catholics, Protestants and Orthodox have difference canons, but only amounting to a handful of Hebrew Bible books that few people fuss about. Some fundamentalist Protestant churches revered the KJV (or new KJV) and that's what all their congregation use. I think this is because it pre-dates modern biblical scholarship, although this isn't true for the new KJV. I agree with the first poster that the NRSV is the way to go.

You are a retarded pendentic, protip: more information is not always better.
And translation samples are useless if you don't know the original Greek, Hebrew, you would just be tricking yourself into thinking you are making a informed decision. And the chart is in English so OF COURSE It is referring to English translations

>"Which bible should I get?", as if such a vague title were applicable only to English translations of the Bible

This isn't /int/ you contentious faggot, even they wouldn't be that sensitive.

>which Publisher and edition they should get
Some of the NRSV study bibles are interesting but hardly necessary. Someone knew to the Bible is better off downloading the Oxford Bible Commentary from Veeky Forums-approved sites which has chapters devoted to each book, discussing the context (date, authorship debates, audience, etc.) and meaning.

The pidgin translation

Why wouldn't they just use all the books?

>"more information is not better"
>suggests that throwing interlingual information is better than well chosen text samples
Imbecilic autist, go home.

>Veeky Forums-approved sites
ELL EM AY OH

Doesn't the sticky list download site? Whatever. Get it off library genesis.

I really want one but it's expensive as fuck.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deuterocanonical_books

Basically because some of the books didn't serve to communicate an important aspect of the religion, and while still useful as knowledge, were not due to be categorized as essential as the 60 or so works commonly compiled in most bibles.

Well Martin Luther came along and said they should only use the books that have Hebrew manuscripts because the others only exist in Greek, and were written later. The Catholic church disagreed and reaffirmed those later books in an official council. The Eastern Orthodox have a looser view of canon (it varies slightly between their churches) so that dispute is pretty meaningless for them.

Some protestant bibles have an "Apocrypha" section where they put those later books. The NRSV has the most complete Apocrypha section because it includes the Eastern Orthodox books as well as the Catholic ones, so I'd get that if you want all of them.

King James Version (KJV). If your too much of a brainlet, then use the New King James Version (NKJV), it's the original without all the 'Ye olde Shakespearean English' that people can't understand.

Anything else is pleb. Especially the NIV. If you read the NIV unironically you should kill yourself.

holy shit you autist