Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums,

I'm working on an individually-portioned frozen center-of-plate meal product for institutional use. Pic related.

However, "individually-portioned frozen center-of-plate meal product" just doesn't roll off the tongue very well, and I can't really think of a snappy name to call the product.

Any ideas?

Also, I've got about 200 large-batch recipes I've developed over the years that I can use for these, but if you've got any idea concepts that you think kids would like, post 'em here and they might just end up on a school kids' lunch tray in the near future.

Also, I'm Chief of R&D for a large food production company; Ask me anything.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7G5F8ObYgjI
quartermaster.army.mil/jccoe/publications/recipes/index/full_index.pdf
archive.org/details/TM10-412
youtube.com/watch?v=ZcJjMnHoIBI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I hope this is true.

If so, remember that children like really simple foods because of their simple palettes. They like variety above all, but many won't stray from typical meals like Mac & Cheese or chicken sandwiches if given the chance.

As for a name, why not go with "Speedy Meals" or "Red-E Lunches".

"Fun Füd"

>Also, I'm Chief of R&D for a large food production company; Ask me anything.
Why not call it... frozen dinner? I know, I'm like a creative god.

Call them "Shit for Fucks."

Wanna hire somebody who went through culinary school and is now a total fucking loser?

Plis.

TV dinners?

Get me a job and I'll give you the best name this world as ever fucking scene

>children like really simple foods because of their simple palettes

This is true, the real difficulty is creating recipes that children as young as 4 or 5 like as well as high-schoolers.

I remember when I was a kid I would refuse to eat pepperoni because it was too spicy for me. I try to remember what it was like being a somewhat-picky kid when I'm developing new recipes.

We're located in Pacific NW US. We're always taking resumes. Please, no more mexicans. (lol jk)

We produce various types and volumes of frozen and not-frozen foods, so 'frozen dinner' would be a bit too ambiguous.

Can you be a little more specific as to the general use of the dish?

Are these going to be served in restaurants? Airline mid-flight? Sold in the freezer aisle?

i lol'd

Back in the 70's our school district put in a central kitchen and had a packing machine. They made all the district lunches in two trays, one hot, the other cold. They delivered them in the morning and the service kitchens warmed and cooled the lunches, then served. Each kid got the two trays and a milk.

Maybe don't freeze them, freshness has its psychological nutrition value over frozen.

'Institutional' usually refers to schools, day cares, retirement homes, prisons, and military. Most of what we make goes to school children.

>I would refuse to eat pepperoni because it was too spicy for me

lol I hope you got bullied.

Easy Eats
Ready Mades
Pre-Thought Food
Made Meals

I think just call them exactly what they are, ie. "Pasta and x" I don't know what the ingredients are. I don't think a wacky zany name will make kids like it more, it think itll have the opposite effect and make it uncool.

Don't forget USDA School Lunch Standards, exceed them please.

We offer a variety of different frozen/fresh services, lots of schools (especially charter schools) have pretty much nothing in the way of a kitchen but they're still required to have a lunch service. Some of our smaller customers cook meals in a toaster oven.

Our company goal is to provide healthier, clean-label products, which means freezing a lot of the time.

Anyone else bothered that the term "institutional" refers to school children, day care and prison populations? As if there is no difference in quality or value?

I was too young to be bullied then, user.

Yeah I don't like wacky or zany, either. This guy I work with from New Zealand suggested "Sealy Dealy Picky Packy" and I nearly fired him on the spot.

That's the goal. We spend more money on food than any of our competitors that I know of to try and keep it as healthy as possible. Everything we make has a super clean label.

These are all pretty good, thanks user.

Well you gotta cater specifically to your audience in some regard.

If you're making shit for retirement homes or meals-on-wheels, for example, they're gonna like more home-cooked-comfort-food looking shit like meatloaf or salisbury steak.

If you're doing shit for a college, most students get shit they can eat on the go, a slice of pizza, chicken tendies, a burrito or quesadilla.

It's a recognizable shorthand term to describe food that is cooked in super high volumes to feed hundreds of people at a time. Usually provided by huge chain suppliers like Sodexo, Sysco, Aramark, etc.

Military and Hospitals use them too, to some extent

PNW is a large area. Multiple locations?

"Frozen by design" is a term they use for proteins. Roll with that.

If you got 200 recipes you don't need my ideas probs.

No.

It's just that it isn't labeled and covered with pretty pictures for retail use...

"Brain Food" is a great brand for schools imo.

I've sampled thousands of different institutional food service products, and there is a pretty wide range of quality based on what they are used for. Products that are meant to be used for CACFP or NSLP reimbursement tend to be pretty crappy because the entire reimbursement ends up being around $3.00 per meal, but lots of it is much higher quality than pre-made products you'd find at your average grocery store.

We do have multiple locations, in Oregon and Washington.

Alright whats your website and ill submit right now. I can move as i am technically homeless, have a 700~ credit score and have worked in upscale joints in nyc as experience.

Holy shit dude are you alright? You can crash with me if you need to where are you?

I git places and the back of my 4x4 worst case. Its ok, im just networking right now. If i work for this guy in Oregon i have a place in Portland to stay too. Might work out

Send it to this gmail account I just made:

[email protected]

I think that if you hired someone to do this, they would want to know what (in your words) you are making.
You would say something like, we're making wholesome food that is quick and easy to prepare. And then comes the sound-boarding back and forth for descriptors: clean, fresh, thoughtful, delicious, fun, exciting (yeah, for kids!), refreshing, quick, healthy, healthful, organic, natural, local, affordable (not cheap) uhhhh... stuff like that.
And then they would take those works to help come up with a name.
What are some descriptors of what you are selling?
I'm I'm in B'ham, WA. I used to hate the idea of working in a food production atmosphere, but I got over my ego ~15 years ago and can appreciate that aspect of the industry.

What do YOU think of when someone says "frozen by design"? Curious.

>center-of-plate
What did he mean by this?

that sounds like bullshit corporate jargon for "entree"

maybe they needed to make up a word that has more "synergy"

waiting for reply from lunchladyboy

Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables

Give Me Convenience Or Give Me Death

>I used to hate the idea of working in a food production atmosphere

It can be pretty monotonous compared to working in a restaurant, but there's a lot more opportunity. I started out many years ago as a dishwasher, now I get to develop recipes which is pretty nice. Although, I'm also head of QA and have to deal with HAACP and FSMA which sucks pretty bad.

Totally_legit.png

We're making a healthier, higher-quality, clean-label school-lunch single-serving frozen meal that's easy to prepare and serve.

It's a real e-mail I just made. I put the name as Dill Weedson lol.

I'm not giving out trollable info on Veeky Forums.

Message failed to send.

my bad, it's [email protected] (no d at the end)

Tried again. Plis no be ruse

Throughout the most of my 20's I was "that guy" who thought he knew it all and was above pleb tier production cooking. Got a job cooking for an Alaskan processing camp. It really opened my eyes. The recipes are more simple, but huge batch cooking is quite the undertaking. You can't just take a recipe that serves one person and multiply that by 200. It takes some R&D to make the final product acceptable. It's a fucking challenge, and the aspect of cooking that is "fun because it's challenging" is there, it's just not as rewarding in the "my food got it's picture taken for a local magazine" rewarding.
I totally hear you about HAACP and FSMA shit. Whatcom County has the highest restrictions as far as DoH is concerned. They are dead set on being relevant. And then there's Fire and City... Everyone wants a piece of what you're making. I didn't mention where I work, but it's a large place. So I understand.

See those peas? STRAIGHT IN THE TRASH. Ain't nobody want that shit.

Do kids hate peas now?

>but huge batch cooking is quite the undertaking

True. Especially if you have to cook things manually, instead of having an automated process. As an example, I have to run team drills with new employees on how to cook and cool 200 lbs of pasta without ruining it.

There also isn't much in the way of reference materials out there. The USDA offers a bunch of "big batch" recipes that are meant for same-day service and max out at about 100 servings, they aren't very useful.

Sneed's frozen feed

How could you not like peas? They're full of country goodness, and green peaness.

Thoughtful Meals
Thoughtless Feels
Meatless Thoughts
wait
Refreshing Quicks
Exciting Quickies
Quick and Clean
well, I'm obviously drunk now so useless
Organic Organicables
Food. You know....For Kids! youtube.com/watch?v=7G5F8ObYgjI
Everett Consumables
Clean Label School Lunches
Message Failed to Send -ables
Send Food!
...actually I kind of like that last one. Use that one. It can hit a lot of ppl. And for the ~30yo it's a reference to 'send nudes' which could be a tongue in cheek inside joke.

>team drills
I ... I'm sorry. :(

>i crave green peaness
at least you admit it

Gay.
You need to move in a new direction to achieve happiness.

>You can't just take a recipe that serves one person and multiply that by 200. It takes some R&D to make the final product acceptable. It's a fucking challenge,
This is why we have the US Army TM 10-412 Recipe System.
It is hundreds of fool-proof recipes for making quality means for 100-120 hungry grown men.
Ask someone that was in the Army when you had Company-wide mess instead of the combine mess halls they started in the 1990's.
It was nothing fancy, but the food was quite good. It was much better than lower end chain restaurants like Applebee's or TGIF.
Linked PDF or latest
quartermaster.army.mil/jccoe/publications/recipes/index/full_index.pdf
Here is one from WW2
archive.org/details/TM10-412

cool links, thanks bro

Alrighty, I'm goin' home now. I might check this thread from home later. Thanks for the replies Veeky Forums! You're alright. Here's a picture for you I made.

>Ask someone that was in the Army when you had Company-wide mess instead of the combine mess halls they started in the 1990's.
I work with him and am friends with him. I know you were referencing yourself, but I hear what you are saying and concur. He went military for money, I went dishwasher.
I think this is what a lot of places do. I've worked for cruise lines and (as mentioned) processing plants where it was always kinda "here's the rules, now cook food". A lot of artistic license was given.
I work for catering ppl in the last few years where it's "menu says X salad dressing, make a dressing with X" and I enjoy that aspect of creativity.

Also, enjoying the link

>I know you were referencing yourself,
I was actually being serious that people should ask older people that were in the Army back then what the food was like. It was really good, and the mess sergeant started with these recipe cards. They then learned their own tricks and extra spice additions. The ratios from the cards are the key info.
The point I was talking towards was that you can not take a recipe for 4 and multiply it by 30 to feed 120 people. That is 1000% true. For example, Alton Brown's Swiss Steak recipe is fantastic. If you double it, it doesn't quite come out right. Try to triple it and it is a mess.

Using the top of the rack and not having an empty pan to prevent dust fallout on products

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Are you a peanut free facility?

O, my bad, I thought you were implying that you were old (like me).
I've worked for a small cruise line (150ppl) where the off-site "chef" wrote the recipes. It was obvious from the recipes that he just multiplied ingredients. 4 2/3 Tbls and the like. We just boycotted the recipes and made what the menu description said.
Making gravy in a steam kettle without a recipe was my first "oh shit" moment that I remember. For 300 ppl. I used roux. At this point in life, I'd use cornstarch. Meh

I am old, but not quite that old. They went to combined mess when in garrison right after the cold war ended in the early 90s as a cost cutting measure.
The cooking was contracted out to different companies, but a lot of the best ones used the old Army recipes cards anyway.
Considering that you would have to use a quart of liquid to make a cornstarch slurry for gravy for 300, I hate to imagine the amount of energy it takes to put into stirring a roux for 300 to not have it burn.

How did you make that watermelon so small?

Beurre manié - but yeah. giant whisks. Also steam jackets, so basically a double boiler(s). It wasn't hard, just superfluous.

Call em

JUST EAT IT!

FILM A COMMERCIAL WITH PEOPLE YELLING JUST EAT IT!

It'll go viral, you'll make boat loads of cash.

This thread was weirdly fascinating to read through.

"Future Poops"

"Paste"
"Because kids eat Paste!(TM)"

>frozen meals
>ready4u
>food in a box

>Call em
>JUST EAT IT!
Requisite:
youtube.com/watch?v=ZcJjMnHoIBI
Also, stop using plebbit spacing.