>broccoli
>cauliflower

how should i do it?
>cube everything
>brown everything in oil on high heat
>take out broccoli and cauliflower
>add stock and curry powder
>simmer 10 minutes, add brocc and cauliflower back in, simmer 5 more minutes

would this achieve a curry where the veggies arent too hard or too mushy?

>i just bought one of these and was about to make a post like this

I'd wait until potatoes are close to tender before adding crucifers. Browning even a little bit of meat to add goes a long way too.

I ate this a lot as a kid. Skip the broccoli and cauliflower. Simmer on low forever until the potatoes are how you like them.

I've only ever used carrots, onion, potatoes and meat, unless I make katsu where I fry thin pork chops and put that on top instead of putting meat in the curry itself. But I follow what the box says to do and it always comes out great.

I would do almost everything you said but I never use stock in my curry, with the veggies and meat simmering for half an hour I find that it flavors the water enough without over powering the curry when you put it in.

I also add a splash of sake when I'm about done browning the meat. It really brings the whole dish together

do what it says on the back of the box.
eat the broccoli and cauliflower on the side.

these guys have it right

Add some mushrooms. Thank me later.

Mushrooms are one of the best "unusual" options. Diced apple works too. Remember, it's called "curry" but it's essentially a slightly spicy English stew.

>cauliflower
In curry? Why?

Consider coconut cream or just milk... also, see if you have any of the same spices that are in traditional curry and add some (even just a bit of cinnamon) while you simmer the meat.

It has nothing to do with traditional curry, and attempting to mix the two is like showing up to a traditional Korean banquet with some Nathan's to grill. Milk in particular produces a disgusting, sickly-sweet pudding as you add the cooling thickener that the roux here already accomplishes.

i wanted to add brocc and cauliflower just to bolster the nutritional value, it cant be that bad right?

No ignore the back of the box. You'll get some mediocre junk.

Prebrown the meat. Saute the vegetables. Season both heavily with spices. Use stock instead of water.

If using a tougher stewing meat like chuck (beef is the best meat for Japanese curry) simmer the meat for an hour or so before adding in the sauteed vegetables, other wise they get too soft. Potatoes can go in with the meat.

If you're using a fairly spicy curry, you can add in a little honey or even better cut up an apple the same size as the potatoes and add in a single apple in in the last 30 minutes. Once the curry is cooked its impossible to tell the difference between the potato and apple so bites will alternate between spicy and sweet.

If you use chicken instead of beef, marinate in a heavily spiced yogurt mixture. You can add in coconut milk as well.

Also broccoli and cauliflower sounds terrible. Replace them with different kinds of peppers.

you can melt an apple or a kombucha in thete for an awesome flavor

Ignore this guy, you'll get bad unevenly-spicy pudding rather than a decent Japanese curry.

>I can't cook

>I don't know anything about japanese curry

>let's dump twenty packages of random shit from different cuisines into a perfectly good staple food
>see, this demonstrates that i can cook!

also, beef is exclusively for 50+ men, everyone normal uses pork

>Using a garbage "curry" mix
What the fuck is wrong with you people.
Have you not heard of spices and how to blend them?

i understand that you're proud of yourself for being worldly enough to read the word カレー, and prouder of yourself for being worldly enough to cook indian, but your advice in this thread is like walking into a thread about pommes and suggesting baking in a pie or serving raw and sprinkled with cinnamon.

Nobody has ever made Japanese curry with pork. Its beef or chicken

カタカナだけ読めるね?

>what is katsu curry

Shitty fast food.

っttps://www.dohouse.co.jp/news/research/p20100128/

うっせーお前は

japanese curry itself is sold in fucking convenience stores you retard
also you still got btfo

ごめん、田舎者の食べ方が知らなかった。豚肉のカレーは本当に人気だったね。実は大切なところに牛肉と鶏肉カレーの方が人気だ。

>potato
redundant with rice
>broccoli and cauliflower
nigger what?

just put chicken or pork in it instead of shit like borccoli and cauliflour. bell pepper is a good option too

っttp://news.ameba.jp/entry/20120314-820
>圧倒的得票数で1位になったのは《豚肉》でした。
>西日本では《牛肉》、東日本では《豚肉》が多く消
>費される傾向があると言われていますが、総務省
>の「家計調査」によると、現在ではその地域差は
>少なくなっており、《豚肉》の消費量の割合は西日
>本でも増えているのだとか。今回のランキングもそ
>れを示しているようで、カレーに関しては《豚肉》を
>選ぶ人が多い結果となりました。

>redundant with rice

This is the cuisine that features noodle sandwiches, remember.

those are delicious, but potatoes with rice is on another level of carb heavy

>redundant with rice
i agree with you, but what should i replace it with?
im not huge on bell peppers and like a simple 3 ingredient curry.

beef
carrots
????

it's pre-refrigeration navy rations.

onion.

good call. dunno why i didn't think of it.

my mom never used chicken unless it was katsu. That rarely happens since it's more work, it's just beef 90% of the time. We never did pork and every time I ate in Japan I always ordered katsu

beef's probably relatively more common among emigres because it's the semi-oldschool kansai (traditionally cheaper beef there) and navy (easier to preserve) way before pork-preferring kanto food culture was standardized on by national chains and grocery distribution. but within japan it's only preferred by older men.

the old, oldschool way is frog legs, which is probably where the chicken idea comes from at all.

If you're feeling extra lazy you can just add a cube of this to rice that's already cooking and you get curry flavored rice.

cube of budgie?

curry

>tfw you left the flux capacitor running

Thanks for reminding me to stock up on those.

I recommend leaving the brocc/cauli out. When you want a serving, steam them, and then pour the curry over them and stir to combine. Otherwise, the broccoli "hairs" are going to break free and make the entire thing look like it has little semens in it.

Coconut milk, not dairy milk...

Here's the secret, don't eat it with rice. Skip the rice. When it's time to eat curry, throw two frozen biscuits in the oven and microwave the curry. Split the fresh hot biscuits and place them on top of the hot curry. Biscuit curry.

what a shitty secret

well i made it the traditional way with just onion carrot and potato

was pretty good, ill try to include the brocc and cauliflower as a rice substitute next time

This is pretty much just curry pan but without the delightful japanese bun. Still not a bad idea if you're not a fan of rice.

Do Americans really eat this?

>golden curry
oh god that shit is bland as fuck. making your own is best but there are some pretty fucking good curry roux mixes out there.

you can pretty easily find torokeru, java, or kokumaru online or at an asian supermarket.

My standby is onion, bell peppers, carrots, potato, mushrooms, whatever protein I have taken out in advance. Cook that shit and combine with the brick and then slather over rice. I always end up going back for more.

>i hope this baito catches a fish!

Japanese curry goes in bread not the other way around.

This stuff is just gravy

Thanks famalam

The essence of Japanese food is simplicity
>dis nigga.jpg

Why do Americans insist on throwing 57 ingredients at a dish that needs 5? Are you so insecure about not having a cuisine that you demand a riot, a cacophony, a maelstrom of flavours and textures clashing and fighting on the palate?

I watch things like Hell's Kitchen and I genuinely think that 50% of the ingredients used in challenges are not only unnecessary but actively detrimental to a harmonius dish.

"It's blackened cajun monkfish with five-spiced pumpkin and feta fritters, curried cauliflower puree with a cranberry mountain dew reduction, served over three kinds of wild rice sauteed with collard greens, ramp and lap cheong sausage, chef". No wonder Gordon says "fuck me" so much.

OP just follow the instructions on the box and don't be a rampaging ass spelunker like that wanker.

the amount of people in thist hread thinking japanese curry is anything at all like indian or thai curry lol

cook your meat, preferrably beef or chicken, i usually cook mine with the onions. add water, boil the carrots and potatoes until they're about done, turn off the heat and add the cubes.

that curry box is supposed to be instant curry. it tastes delicious as it is, you don't need to do much. if you want to spice it up, i make a curry doria with the leftovers. you can find that recipe on cookpad or something.

Since there is a thread for curry. I might as well ask. But would this taste good in a curry? Am I asking for too much? I have always wanted to do a seafood curry.

Indian or Thai yes
Japanese no

just cook that and then add a can of coconut milk

Kabocha?? Like a Japanese pumpkin? Not Kombucha, a fungi based drink?

Can confirm Kokumaru curry is great.