Do you guys have any good recipes for beginners for tofu? I'm tired of the same one I know

Do you guys have any good recipes for beginners for tofu? I'm tired of the same one I know.

Other urls found in this thread:

thewoksoflife.com/2014/03/ma-po-tofu-real-deal/
youtu.be/oqsk-Ml4ijs
finecooking.com/recipe/thai-red-curry-with-tofu-vegetables
youtube.com/watch?v=eS0unSDFhCA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Jesus fucking Christ.

You can make any meat based recipe you want, and just substitute it with tofu. It really is that simple. You’re wasting precious Veeky Forums megabits on a useless thread.

>throw it in the grill
>cook some meat when fire catches on it

Mapo tofu is simple as shit to make and delicious. The only thing that might be difficult is getting szechuan peppercorns and spicy bean paste if you're in a backwater, but they can be ordered on the internet. If you're a retarded vegan or vegetarian just leave out the pork.

thewoksoflife.com/2014/03/ma-po-tofu-real-deal/

youtu.be/oqsk-Ml4ijs

Unless you know what you're doing, tofu should be used as its own ingredient or meal base, not as a meat substitute.

Try making mapo tofu, OP. It's easy enough and tastes fucking great. It is also a good option for people thay normally wouldn't like tofu due to the taste.

>cut into 1cm thick slices
>cover with your favorite marinade & forget for a few hours
>oven on 450
>throw the slices on a baking sheet with some foil
>cook for 30 and spoon some sauce on there every once in a while
>eat the whole block in one sitting
>fuck

>You can make any meat based recipe you want, and just substitute it with tofu.

It tastes a little like fired egg whites and has the consistency of crumbly jello. Explain how this makes for a good meat substitute?

finecooking.com/recipe/thai-red-curry-with-tofu-vegetables

I second mapo tofu. It's great and easy to make. You may not have the seasonings unless you already cook asian food.

Deep fry it then boof it all

bought some the other day and was going to try to make fake egg salad buy just mashing with fork or cutting into little cubes

also was going to try replacing chicken in chinese curry chicken or maybe try hot and sour soup but don't have all the ingredients for that

Put it in your attic as insultstion. The only thing tofu is good for.

Where did he say it's a good meat substitute?

God, I fucking love mapo tofu, but I live in flyover country now, and it is impossible to get the ingredients for it.

Eat them raw with soy sauce

What? Dude just go to a fucking Asian supermarket. I'm in a rustbelt state and I have one 30 monutes away

Make little rectangles out of it, then put some G.Washington season on it and fry it till ti's golden brown in you oil of choice. Take it out, blot oil if you're like that and if you have sesame seeds toss them in those. It's a nice little salty snack. You'll start to learn how you like it cooked from there. Experiment,

Not true at all. Tofu doesn't absorb marinades or sauces, but can be coated in it.

This, it's awesome.

dang beef tofu dish.
darn savory spinach tofu soup.
friggen coconut tofu red curry soup.
some kind of chipotle sauce and tofu .

I like to fry tofu in rice flour.

get as much liquid out as possible by wrapping it in paper towels and putting something heavy on it, then cut into whatever size bites you want and freeze it. Then apply whatever marinade if any to it, and bake or freeze it. I don't know what freezing it does but i prefer the texture when i freeze first.

get bread put lettuce, tomato, cheese, fried unions, mayo, and then place tofu on top. put on plate remove tofu slap on bacon trow paddy on now add top bun finished enjoy man food

Have another recommendation for mapo tofu.
But here are some tasty recipes not mentioned in the thread:
Agedashi tofu: Dust 1-2 inch cubes of tofu with stach (potato starch works well) and deep fry. Serve the cubes with a sauce made of stock, soy sauce and mirin, top with grated daikon and possibly scallions.
Tofu dengaku: Grill pieces of tofu on a skewer, and then slather them with a sauce made of miso sweetened with some sugar and mirin. Top that with sesame seeds.
Tofu Parm: Bread and fry slices of tofu. Layer in an oven dish with tomato sauce and mozzarella inbetween. Gratin with cheese and breadcrumbs.

that's feta cheese...

I'm assuming you're vegan, so here's one:
1. Buy extra firm tofu, ingredients for veggie eggrolls or minced stir-fry veggie combo or different varieties of mushrooms, soy sauce, a bit of ginger, sugar, salt and pepper, minced garlic and green onion, cooking rice wine, sesame oil, lemon juice, cornstarch
2. Cut into big squares. One package should yield 4. Or cut into 2 rectangles. Cut it like pic related (the top part of pic, not the little rectangles) so you have enough room to put stuffing/filling in it
3. Brown all sides of tofu except one. That's where you'll create the pocket to put the fillings in. If you're doing squares, any side will do. If you're doing the rectangles, leave unbrowned the part where you made the cut to make the deep rectangles
4. Create the pocket and save the tofu you took out. It will be part of the filling
5. Chop up the scooped-out tofu
6. Saute the veggie ingredients, scooped-out tofu, garlic, green onion, and ginger in sesame oil
7. Add soy, rice wine, lemon juice, and sugar
8. Drain excess liquids, but save liquid
9. Make a thickening agent with cornstarch and water, then pour it in the excess liquid to make a sauce. Thicken
10. Stuff filling into hollowed out tofu, then drizzle some of the sauce
11. You can either serve it like that or throw it in the oven for a few minutes. Add sauce on the side or drizzle some more, but not too much. Add garnish, if you wish.

If you're not a vegetarian, add ground pork and/or minced shrimp.

Or if you want some very easy tofu dish, just cut tofu into cubes, stir-fry (by itself or with other veggies, and add some Asian sauce of your choice (Szechuan, Mongolian, etc.). See for a good one.

Or make soup out of it, like miso soup. You just need miso, seaweed (wakame), dashi, green onions, and mushrooms (optional). Cut tofu to desired size.

Or even easier, just deep fry the tofu and dip it in some dipping sauce. Lightly dusting it in cornstarch before deep-frying is optional.

I like store bought Rogan Josh sauce on pan fried tofu, add some cut up sauteed veggies and it's a really good meal. I'd add rice if I needed more calories but I'm small so I don't

>Mapo tofu
Holy fuck I haven't had this in a long time and I'm craving it like mad now.

Agedashi tofu is very simple yet tastes really good

youtube.com/watch?v=eS0unSDFhCA

Tofu Bahn Mi

You will need:
1 Daikon radish, cut into matchsticks
1 Carrot, matchsticks
1 Cucumber, you guessed it, matchsticks
3 or 4 jalapenos, sliced as thin as you can get them
White wine vengar
Rice vinegar
Generous pinches of sugar and salt

Cilantro
Tofu, extra firm
Baguette

Soy sauce
1 lime, juiced. Save the rind.
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
Knob of ginger root, minced
Black pepper

Combine the ingredients in the first section in a big jar. Let them pickle for at least 24 hours. I let them go for 3-4 days.

Combine garlic, ginger, soy sauce, lime juice, lime zest, and black pepper into a marinade.

Slice tofu, not too thick, not too thin.

Place tofu in marinade, and let marinate for ~15-20 minutes. 30 won't hurt.

Heat pan med-high, coat lightly with oil

Sear tofu slices for a few minutes on both sides, until all tofu is cooked

Assemble sandwiches with pickles, tofu, and cilantro

Wa la

>Meatloaf

Would help if we knew what recipe you know, I like making spicy fried tofu and I make savoury tofu for my stir fry noodle... The most important thing is to press the water out... Also try pan frying banana tofu and topping it with chocolate sauce

It does if you press the water out first... It's an essential step for most westerners trying tofu for the first time

>Good
>Tofu
Pick one