Which track would you choose if they were infinitely long

Which track would you choose if they were infinitely long

eventually the bodies will slow the train down so choose the bottom one.

It's a 50/50 question
Either it kills peolpe or it doesn't.

The upper one just in case you lied to me and the tracks aren't infinitely long.

I know this! The second one kills -1/12 people total.

Utilitarianism in this case is banal. It only makes sense when you give some context and some background to those people. There is no point in trying to come up with an objective moral rule devoid of such information.

There is no reason why I should believe that the lives of the people on the one track are worth more than the lives of the people on the other track. Numbers alone don't justify shit.

Winar

>what is divergent series
lose-lose

Kek

nice meme

which track are you lying on OP?

>Pull the lever when the trolley is on the switching track
>Trolley derails
>Save infinite amount of people
>Get dick sucked

There are a finite number of people in the universe. The bottom track grows as the square of index x vs the top track growing as x. Therefore the majority of people in the universe will be lying on the bottom track, therefore OP is probably on the bottom track, therefore the preferred choice is to direct the trolley to the bottom track.

i would not get involved in shit that i have nothing to do with

but you are necessarily lying on at least one of the tracks

The lower track would result in -1/12 people killed, i.e. you actually create a 1/12th of a person and nobody dies.

I started this. I was the first to put the -1/12 meme into trolley form. This is my legacy.

I can die in peace.

the lower sum regularizes to something too doesn't it?

yeah 1+1+1+1 = -1/2 so the top series is the preferred choice

Given a lack of information you should look at statistical probabilities and assume each person is modal

Indecision is a decision

kek

But there were infinite amount of people on each track individually, which means you saved infinityƗ2 people and also proven there are numbers larger than infinity cause mathematicians are brainlets.

I think you mean

Different orders of infinity. Consider that there are infinitely many primes and there are infinitely many integers. Therefore, are there as many primes and integers? Yes. If you had a list of all primes and a list of all integers, you could list them one for one with each other. They exist in the same order of infinity. However, try to list integers versus all real numbers. I would always be able to point to say 1.183646372 on your list of real numbers and say "well, what about 1.1836463727?" "Ah-a!" You say, "that is at this point of the list instead!" Once again, i can point to that and add another decimal place and so on and so forth. The list of real numbers possesses a higher ordinal value of infinity than the list of integers. This problem is similar. To minimise casualties, one should choose the first track.

Same guy here, screwed up. Similar to primes vs integers actually. Differing densities, same order of infinity. Therefore, doesn't matter which track you choose.

on the bottom row, the distance between groups of people seems to be decreasing linearly, meaning that if there were truly an infinite number of groups of people, the entire track would be covered with people

this is not the case, so the bottom one must not be infinite

lol who care both infinite

The left one, inconsistent bumps would make for a less pleasant ride.

Nobody is even acknowledging the correct answer and justification in the first post.

>the machinist won't stop himself

And the first kills -1/2, so the first is the best choice.

So this would kill -7/12th people, so would this actually be saving over half a life?

It really depends. Do you want to save these people, or is your intent to kill as many as you can?

If your intent is to kill, then I would choose top because eventually the train will not have enough torque otherwise to overcome running over the ever growing stacks of flesh in the bottom track.

If you want to save people you go for the bottom one.

holy kek

Engineer 1
Mathfags 0

Time the switch so that half the cart is on the other track.

I will have killed infinite faggots, twice.

>t. legit believe there are sensible comparable values larger than infinity
cringe

Top track. We will never reach a point that is infinitely far in the future (where the death tolls would be equal), so any finite amount of time from now more people would have died if you chose the bottom track.

>Differing densities, same order of infinity. Therefore, doesn't matter which track you choose.
But set cardinality isn't the only way to compare. The proportion of elements which are prime converges to zero as you take n larger.

Doesn't matter. If the tracks are infinitely long everyone is going to die pretty quickly anyway. Everything should collapse into a black hole