Simulation Theory

Can you guys disprove we are in a simulation, I honestly can't think of a way to logically disprove it, sure there is no empirical evidence for it, but the chances are overwhelming and honestly the idea horrifies me.

Draw enough processing power in one part of the universe and see if fidelity decreases in other parts.

Well we might find out when we die

>I honestly can't think of a way to logically disprove it
I can't find a way to disprove nigger faggot dragon unicorns either, so it surely means they must exist

Disproof by example: you

>Disproof by example

the machine that would be required to simulate everything would have to be immensely huge. Like multiple times larger than the size of our universe huge.

Consciousness has profound effects on matter itself - consciousness creates the shape of matter.

Somewhere along the line, it was fragmented, and we're here to recollect to the divine source.

No, there's ambient occlusion, so nothing gets loaded into memory until an eye gets close enough to see it. Pluto was all blurry until New Horizons' flyby; it's only recently that the machine had to dedicate any sort of resources to animate its terrain.

Sort of disturbing an image from this thread is already being associated with nigger faggot dragon unicorns.

Why does the idea horrify you? I'm having a blast.

Your claim replaces something simple, the presence of shadow, with something far more intricate and specific. On what grounds can you do this? From what basis do you draw this knowledge?

It's like you don't even play video games.

How do you know our reality is simpler than the reality in which we are being simulated? On what grounds can you do this? From what basis do you draw this knowledge?

It only works in vidya bc there's only one viewpoint to calculate

If it were a simulation then there would be glitches.

I have a question,
Why does it matter?

Seriously, how would anything at all be any different in any meaningful way? I'm not trying to troll, I just don't see how we gain or lose anything either way.

well if we knew the universe was a simulation we could conceivably escape it

* The purpose of the simulation is not really obvious. If an alien civilization wanted "to play" as humans, then why simulate trillions of galaxies and a 14 billions of universe history, if those aspects don't make any difference for the human experience?
* It would be incredibely hard to do. Just because we are able to do much more primitive simulations, it doesn't mean that we are also going to be able to create a simulation of such complexity. For example, just because we are able to create an airplane that can fly with a speed some thousands of kilometres per hour, doesn't mean that one day we will also be able to create an airplane that can fly with the speed of light. The whole simulation theory is basically based on the same assumption: If we can build a primitive version of a specific technology, we will definetely also build the highest possible complexity of that technology. This however is not exactly self-evident. Creating ultra-complex simulations is probably as impossible as building an airplane that fly with the speed of light.
* If we were in a simulation, we would, probably, be programmed to not think about that opportunity.

From all these points, imho the most convincing is that the universe would occupy ridicolous amounts of hardware ressources for no apparent reason.

If the simulation was perfect, there'd be no way to tell.
And if it was imperfect -- and someone noticed -- they'd just revert to a backup copy made in the past, fix the problem, and resume. We'd never know.

But this is idiocy.
It's like arguing with Fundamentalists who discount fossils, geology, and starlight that's been traveling a billion years.
"The universe is only 6000 years old. It was created with all that 'fake' evidence of having a long past history."

Any god who has nothing better to do than to set up such an elaborate, purposeless, deception is a piss-poor god.

This is actually a good point. Instead of one, big computer, there might billions small ones that are simulating the universe for each conscious being individually. Each one is only getting simulated the parts it can perceive at any given moment.

This is a brainlet arguement. Who says our universe is huge, it could be tiny compared to the civilization that made our simulation, we have nothing else to compare it to. Assuming higher dimensions could exist, if they have utilized more than 3 spacial dimensions our universe could be insanely simple in their eyes. An 8th dimensional computer could be smaller than your phone and have the necessary processing power to simulate our universe.

Clearly a machine capable of simulating our universe would be retardedly advanced to the point that we might aswell be chimps theorizing on how LHC works. Dont pretend like such a machine would be limited by our simple understanding of technology, that machine would likely barely resemble computers you are familiar with.

perfectly simulating everything requires computers way beyond what we have right now or can theorize. While we cannot disprove the existence of these computers, because they require technology that is essentially magic, the question of whether or not we live in a simulation can be shown to be equivalent to whether or not there is a god.

Have you ever played the sims ?
How could they escape the game ?

But if they were to make a game similar to their reality they could compare the two.

>no experimental evidence for it, but the chances are overwhelming
ok buddy

There's no way of disproving it. But we can prove it. If someday we reach such computational power that a machine we built starts questioning its own existence and develop like we do, then we could safely extrapolate that such thing could've happened to us.
Until then, all we can do is to get a little creeped out by thinking about possibilities, but it's not really worth it spending such time on it. By the way, if whoever created us doesn't want us to know about simulation, then simulating things will be impossible here, so we shall never prove it.

It's not hard to think of situations where it's true. The original 'trilemma' supposes that the creators of the simulation have near limitless processing capabilities and are in fact post-human intelligences. One of the variables is whether or not these post-human intelligences would want to run ancestor simulations to see what our lives were like. If I were an all-knowing superbrain who still can't move backward through time to find out things that were lost due to say, a worldwide thermonuclear war or species ending virus for example, and I had a way to find out things that happened through simulation, I'd probably do it.

uhh but what if the universe simulating us is also simulated??
now THAT really makes me think

A simulation running backwards is no different from a simulation running forwards. It's just the sign of the time-step.
Any model attempting to extrapolate future history quickly runs up against our inability to know the current state of the system EXACTLY and any sensitivity to initial conditions (chaos theory). If you want to know where Neptune will be in a billion years, that's feasible. If you want to know the weather in a week, you're stuck. You can only extrapolate POSSIBLE futures.
Looking backwards, you can only extrapolate POSSIBLE pasts. The simulation might produce a plausible 21st century but you'd never know if it was correct.
What was on that segment of tape Nixon erased? What's written on this sheet of paper I'm about to burn? You will never know regardless of what UltraHyperSuperDuperComputer you build.

Arguments for:
a) Computation is everywhere.
b) The universe is lazily evaluated
c) Silicon computers at theoretical capacity are sufficient to compute every atom of several universes simultaneously

Arguments against:
a) It's 100% unfalsifiable.
b) There's no evidence which can only be explained by simulation theory.

Who gives a shit either way stop worrying about it lol

>c)
Citation needed

I met some crazy weird guy. Whom for the most part should’ve gotten his mind checked. He was in some corporate mob that put up mega hijacks. His job was technically to kill off heirs and share partners and play them off as murderers of feds. Then he’d give up their kids to adoptive parents. And kill them off when things got hot for the fraternal circle. What they’d was supposedly they’d put them in these oven like things, gauge out their eye lens connect then to super computers. He said it was easy transition for the victims. They were selfish and expected to much in life plus generational sin was permitted in the faiths so they’d be tried by their parents guilt under their faith.They’d never find bodies because they’d be connected with military. It’s pretty scary.

He said something about micro linguistics. He also gave an idea of the first step. They take the person at night while sleeping and take them drugged to a military device that flashes light and laser that burns off certain nerves then the light would begin to regress them to infancy and make them see images in their minds. Once that’s done they’d be taken to another station and leave them there. Several times a week waking the person up for a shower and other things. It sounds horrible like death sentences. The machine is said to work on algorithms that become easy decipherable to the victim but not to the people in their mind. The victim can also give early inputs to the machine according to nerve pulses.

Their story is that during a racist period. Mexico nuked the east coast of the US because police started a riot during a a peaceful event. Killing upwards of thousand attendees. Basically you start shit during something peaceful so will I. So they’ve been using it on Latinos. For a long time they targeted Puerto Rican’s. Killing many so what many white supremacists did was claim Puerto Rican heritage. And adopt Puerto Rican families as theirs to continue the crimes again.

The Simulation idea (not a theory) is just intelligence design you morons!

nigger faggot dragon unicorns

I don't want to rain on your parade, but they don't "burn" off certain nerves. The optic nerve is grafted to what is called the notocable. It was originally designed to interface with the brain stem, but it never worked out. Eyes are only kept for calibrations, but then they are removed.

Obviously they don't take showers.

Supposedly the massacre happened in the 60s or 70s during while a song called Guayaquil de mis amores was being played. Guayaquil was a trigger word for the anti terrorist unit.

Everything revolves around the stimulation of the ventricle. No Lens means less...

I don't even think this bullshit qualifies as a hypothesis.

But if you do a shitload of instances you'll get a nice spread of averages, like what you most often wrote on that sheet of paper before you burned it. Also like mentioned they could revert backwards and merge redundant timelines, and maybe we'd be left with echoes like some of us from the Berenstein universe where Hillary got elected.

Only way to disprove is to crash the simulation

>Silicon computers at theoretical capacity are sufficient to compute every atom in the universe
Including the atoms that make up the computer that does the simulating?

With no survivors?

>Can you guys disprove we are in a simulation
no
>and honestly the idea horrifies me
pussy

Damn

fresh meme?

>nigger faggot dragon unicorns

Ah, but then that completely destroys the "most universes are simulations so we should be into one" argument.
Because since every layer can only simulate a weaker physic, from our universe, we can only go one or two layers deep in simulation.

Simulation theory assumes that there is one universe with mamushka-like simulated universes.

The chances of being in the original universe is really low compared to being in one of the virtual universes.

Some counter-arguments:
1) There's more than one "real/original universe"
2) Each real universe may not have enough matter/energy to process more than a couple of virtual universes (making it less likely to be in a virtual one).

>the chances are overwhelming
only if you make certain unproven assumptions like a retard

they're called "magic"