Manhattanfags - where do you get your groceries?

I'm in Midtown East for a couple of weeks for work, and being a frugal fucker I'm trying to keep costs down by cooking in my temporary apartment. Thing is, I'm unfamiliar with American supermarket chains and how they stack up relative to each other in terms of cost and quality of produce. All I've found in an afternoon I spent walking around was Morton Williams (there seemed to be a lot of organic shit and, for some reason, no frozen meat) and Gristede's (didn't go inside, but I've heard they're pricey). Or do you go for farmers/street markets? I saw one at the Dag Hammarskjold Plaza earlier today.

Fairway is pretty good and there's one in Murray Hill. Trader Joe's has good snacks/nuts.

Googled Fairway in Murray Hill and got 104 E 40th St, is that the one? I'll check them out.

Just one of the grocery stores around town, I live by the brooklyn bridge/port area and they're everywhere.

No it's on 30th street and 2nd ave.

>frugal
>living in new york shitty
Pick one. Live most other places in the US and you will get double the square footage in your apartment, for a third of the price.

Cool, got it
>my god, he mentioned trying to be frugal in an expensive city
>I should avoid reading the rest of the post and just point out that other places are cheaper

but then you'd have to live in some boring shithole that isn't NYC

definitely check out farmer's markets near you for fresh produce, or pop down to the Union Square greenmarket one day.

for pantry staples or meat, i'm seconding Fairway -- it's cheaper than some place like Morton Williams or Whole Foods. Trader Joe's is also good.

God you worthless flyovers can get so jealous

just buy cabbage and boil it so all your neighbors love you!

Haven't been to NYC, but when I've been in other megacities I just waited until I was already at a grocery store to buy groceries. It never required walking more than a block out of my way. Is it not like that there?

CHINATOWN

Hey OP if you want to meet up I can show you where I do my ethnic shopping

If you spend so much time at home that it's size matters your living a pathetic life.

Where is the closest Wegmans?

I go to brooklyn to shop.

dude, there is nothing cheap in mid town my dude. seriously. Go into harlem or brooklyn then go to a pathmart or associate or something.

Seriously the cheapest closest thing you're gonna find is trader joes.

man ESPECIALLY if you're on the east side.

east side is the rich side.

There's lots of good shopping out on the island, or over in New Jersey there is plenty of parking at Costco's whole foods trader Joe's etc.

>cheap,
>go all the way to jersey

only people from jersey who pretend to be new yorkers ever refer some one to go to jersey just cause.

I said there was good shopping on Long island, and good parking in New Jersey... Anyone from New York knows if you want to park a car at a store, you leave Manhattan...

All the way to jersey... You realise, depending on where in Manhattan you are, new jersey is actually easier to get to than Brooklyn or Bronx?

My parents make a trip to jersey once a week just for booze

Only a new jersey an would accuse someone of being from new jersey for shopping in new jersey

Go fuck yourself, the malls in Jersey are way better for picking up underage girls than the one on Staten island

In Manhattan part of the cost of anything is the cost of the real estate it's sitting on. So groceries will be expensive not because the item is costly, but because the shelf space it's sitting on until you buy it is costly. As others have said Fairway is pretty good for Manhattan. The quality of what they carry is generally pretty good and the prices aren't outrageous. But it's not a great choice for poorfags. Then again if you're a poorfag Manhattan isn't a good place to be in the first place. (When I moved to Bklyn from Manhattan a few years ago it cut a lot of my bills, including groceries, by about half).

If you want cheap groceries in Manhattan Chinatown is your best bet. Those ramshackle produce, fish and grocery shops there are really the only places in Manhattan to find groceries that are actually cheap. But you've got to be down for the experience, because it's its own world there.