Do you think Wikipedia has chosen the right six writers to represent the entire history of philosophers...

Do you think Wikipedia has chosen the right six writers to represent the entire history of philosophers? Who would you put there, if not?

Confucius wrote nothing important or relevant, so get rid of him

dude the golden rule lol

Me, myself and I

>Neetzsche

legitimately annoyed

You're a moron if you don't think he's the right choice for modern philosophy

It's not about how much you like them, it's about impact

kek

That's fine enough. For just Western, I'd put:

>Plato
>Aristotle
>Kant
>Nietzsche
>Hegel
>Descartes

At the very least, the philosopher's name must exist in academic philosophy lexicon in adjective/movement form (e.g. Kantian, Nietzschean, Cartesian)

That would be Marx. Like him or not.

>That's fine enough
Two of the three on the bottom are just there because they didn't want all white men

>entire history
it's pretty clear they're trying to cover an expanse of both time and geographical area, and not specifically of concepts as they apply to the modern day

All ancient societies had some form of this, most of which invented it before that chink.

Plato, Aristotle, Descartes, Hume, Kant, Wittgenstein

Marx's philosophy wasn't nearly as impactful as Nietzsche; it was his political views. Yes those were highly tied to his politics but people don't talk about his philosophy nearly as much

I don't know much about Middle-Eastern philosophy, but are Buddha and Confucius not incredibly relevant in their influence on Asian political structures and culture?

>all Western philosophy

>that's a bad thing

It's certainly not charitable or comprehensive.

Marx's politics are not separate from his philosophy - they're one in the same. More importantly almost all modern philosophy is an expansion or reaction to his writings.

If not Marx at least Hegel. Nietzsche is a fucking meme philosopher. The just BE urself of philosophy.

>Marx's politics are not separate from his philosophy
I'm not saying they should ever be separated but non-academic nu-Marxism has successfully done so. Find any young communist and ask them a philosophical question: they can't fucking answer

Solid points. However, I'd argue Nietzsche is just as influential as Marx---virtually all continental philosophy is Nietzschean, for example. You will only find just as many exceptions to that rule as you would for Marx (e.g. Zizek; Heidegger, respectively).

user's point is any 'Marxist answer' is a philosophical answer.

Are you talking about Averroes here, because he was really influential in both the East and the West. He's also the only medieval on the list.

>Find any young communist and ask them a philosophical question: they can't fucking answer
Well yeah they're obnoxious little shits.

My point was Marx is a better representative for the break in modern philosophy than Nietzsche.

Doesn't actually mean anything anyway.

>Marx
>philosophy

:)

call him anything but a philosopher, kiddo
there's a reason most philosophy department out there will never teach Marx: it's off-topic

>there's a reason most philosophy department out there will never teach Marx
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ask your unaccredited for-profit college for a refund, user.

Confucius and Buddha aren't even philosophers.

I feel annoyed that Averroes is there and not Aquinas.

They were fucking fortune cookies

It's true. You usually only read about him briefly in elective courses on Political Philosophy. He's utterly irrelevant to philosophy as is. And no, I graduated from one of the best institutes in Europe (not in the UK)

>Averroes
literally who?

A heathen that questioned Allah's power.

This
Leave the social scientists and economists to deal with that hack

I have such a fucking crush on her holy hell

Plato, Descartes, Locke,
Kant, Frege, Heidegger

Locke is debatable. But an Empiricist needs to take his place

lol is that Kant? love that virtuous fella.

They're also trying to cover philosophy geographically so it makes sense.

t. turbo-plebeian

While your superior white race was occupied with inbreeding, Averroes was studying and translating Aristotle and helping keep the actually important part of western tradition alive.

I like Nietzsche a lot but that's a very apt summary of his thought, top memeing my lad.

HUME
U
M
E

Swap plato for Aquinas, swap kant for hegel, swap nietzsche for kierk (btfo), swap budhha for aristotle, swap confucius for Augustine, Averroes can stay.

>he doesn't know about Averroës
Can you be more of a teenager?

>sandnigger philosophy

>not a single woman

Aristotle Kant Nietzsche
Hegel Kierkegaard Wittgenstein

my teeth hurt

>Aristotle, Descartes, Kant, Hegel, Nietzsche, Wittgenstein

On the contrary, all modern philosophy is a reaction to Nietzsche(thanks Deleuze). Marxism started fading from academia during the 70's.

>yurobald educaton

I shit on marx
I shit on the united states

Heraclitus, Plato, Aristotle
Spinoza, Kant, Marx

>it's only cis men
>all pictures have been whitewashed
umm can we not