>no Pynchon thread
>close Veeky Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/cuttlefish_btc/status/700826096271396864
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>close Veeky Forums
>make thread on Veeky Forums

hmmm

Once the Pynchmeister's wiki said he was married to Heidi Honeycutt (it's been changed back to Melanie Jackson since), so I did some searching online and the source was probably a joke in Honeycutt's IMDb profile. I was kind of surprised at first, thinking the Pynch got married again at 79.

That's all I got

Pynchon > Joyce

check out this rare pynchon

Johmas Pynciante

How to into Pynchonian polymath mode?

We'll see who the best is in December, bud.

i would actually want to see this very bad

Joyce was physically frail, Pynchon would probably just knock him out.

hit the random article button on wikipedia for 6 hours a day

A steady diet of weed and Corn Flakes

someone post it

“Who claims Truth, Truth abandons. History is hir'd, or coerc'd, only in Interests that must ever prove base. She is too innocent, to be left within the reach of anyone in Power,- who need but touch her, and all her Credit is in the instant vanish'd, as if it had never been. She needs rather to be tended lovingly and honorably by fabulists and counterfeiters, Ballad-Mongers and Cranks of ev'ry Radius, Masters of Disguise to provide her the Costume, Toilette, and Bearing, and Speech nimble enough to keep her beyond the Desires, or even the Curiosity, of Government.”

This isn't as illuminating as I thought it would be. I'm mostly just getting sporting events.

OP, this post has caused me to experience a jubilant elation the likes of which no human could possibly ever have come close to feeling before. The sheer internal euphoria ripping through my synapses right now is beyond intoxicating, all because of your post, your beautiful post that is perfect on all possible levels. In every context and situation, every possible reality, your post is the thing that brings all iterations of me the greatest joy mentally possible. As I type this, I can feel the tendons and ligaments holding my body together easing, shedding the load they've borne for so many years as the ultimate orgasmic sensation ripples through my body. This is it. My purpose is fulfilled, I no longer need exist on this earth, and my body knows it. I am coming undone at a muscular and skeletal level, I will be found as a simple pile of disconnected meat and bones, and no one will know that before I died, I experienced the complete pinnacle of raw feeling, all because of your post. Thank you, OP.

Pynchon is nowhere near as great as Joyce.

That said, Pynchon is the most discussed author on Veeky Forums, so he doesn't really need another thread. Sometimes I think that Pynchon is all people on Veeky Forums have actually read.

What should one have read before tackling Pynchon?

lots of loli manga and Plotinus

Don't diss Pynchon bro

Cryptically healthy. I sub the latter out for Lucky Charms. Unfortunate results.

Only have AtD and V. left to read by him. Gonna try V., and hope it doesn't seem too novice.

Has he actually referenced manga, though? I've heard he does in BE.

Plotinus..
Where cozy and convoluted do lunch.

>open Veeky Forums
>look through the catalogue
>Pynchon dumbass makes a thread complaining about lack of threads
>none of the Pynchon readers have anything interesting to say about Pynchon or anything else
>the Pynchon readers nurse their delusions of being a Pynchonesque polymath by browsing muh wikipedia. Too bad they're too stupid to make anything profound from that information.

Typical day on Veeky Forums.

Pynchon references Astro Boy in Ready Player One

It will but won't. There's something of the feel of M&D in there, a jacked sadness, although the only sympathetic character in the entire book is a female sewer rat theology student whom I've just now decided is my waifu.
It remains my favorite. GR next. Then M&D.

Pynchon > Joyce

Boo hoo

Only in the minds of losers on Veeky Forums marginalized by the true literary establishment.

Why are Pynchon fans always so dumb?

I shared my insight on GR yesterday and the thread didn't get much attention, I'm too lazy to type them out again
The best from reading GR was ending it and slowly after feeling how all the book started to glue together, almost gave me a hardon
I think I'm done with contemporary literature for a while

how is Joyce better, Pynchon gives insights in every field possible, he is a more complete writer, Joyce only tops him in originality

It's like the "I Fucking Love Science" page on facebook, when actual science is posted. As soon as real brain power is required, all the loudmouths seems to have vanished.

Most people who claim to be Pynchon fans are retards and/or pseuds who freeze and steer clear as soon as actual literary discussion about Pynchon is being done.

You opt for a rhetorical question as opposed to a direct one because you know youll get your ass blasted, mr. smarty pants.

Really? Give examples of Pynchon's insights in about 5 important fields.

Go read them, they are on his novels

Good thing they're "on" them. I'd be distressed if they were "in" them.

Pynchon posters, everyone.

>Insulting Tom in the /Pynchon/ general on a Pynchon forum

GET OUT

You totally bTFO'd me

You insult Pynchon by your very existence, you and the rest of the Pynchonposters here.

Joyce was too much of a brainlet to even finish GR

It's just banter, no need to be hurtful.

>I make bold claims about an author I haven't read, and expect others to do the majority of the work, to back my claims for me.

Weak, unforgivably weak.

lmao

kek. i heard descartes didn't even read pynchon. what a retard.

I had Gravity's Rainbow on my reading list next, but looking at this thread, I guess I can put him off for a while.

Why?

You wouldn't understand it anyway.

And you didn't for sure.

Oh for sure, not a single word registered through the old noggin.

At least you'll admit you're a pseud.

the truth is, contrary to popular fucking meme-belief, all authors of the meme trilogy are talented and wrote mostly good books.
fact is, very few people bother to truly understand all of the works well enough to compare and see their similarities, they just pick one author, sometimes not even a member of the meme-trilogy and obsess with them to the point where people think they might be dull in the head or close-minded and dismiss that person as a "memer" and while they're probably right, it's equally memey to do this.
Don't dismiss books for being too memey. Just read and try to see the merit (youre either an idiot or a luddite if youre opposed to this)

Nice digits.

The pseuds who circlejerk about Pynchon on this board definitely makes reading him seem a little off-putting. Pynchon is okay, but he's insanely overrated by people on this board for whatever reason. Perhaps he's the only "difficult" writer that they've ever read. The fact that people in this thread genuinely believe that Pynchon is better than Joyce shows this well. Even Pynchon himself would be upset that you think he's better than Joyce. You guys should be ashamed of yourselves for your shitty opinions.

Of course he admires Joyce.

DFW is the least good among them, though he does have some discernible talent. Infinite Jest is okay, but I wouldn't consider it great or even good.

This is one of the most fair minded opinions for this thread, and the most objectively right one.

Pynchon has the rhythm, Joyce has the melody and harmony

David was fine. He's just more modern. It seems worse because youre in denial about literature dying.
If you dont like DFW you will probably never be published in today's environment.

But Joyce had a masculine jaw while Pynchon basically doesn't have a jaw, his throat just continues until there's a mouth
Joyce wins psychologically already during the weighing

He's fine but still the least good among the meme trilogy. Nothing you said contradicted me.

How could one not admire Joyce? The man was an absolute genius. I still remember the first time I read the dappled seaborne cloud section of portrait, and understood just how phenomenal his writing really is.

I would say Pynchon is a little bit worse than Joyce by that same logic though, is my point.
Literature has been dying/evolving.
It's not really fair to compare any of them because they're symptomatic of the times they lived in.
It's literally blind to not to respect them equally in their own right.

>mfw Plato didn't start with Finnegans Wake

I will never read IJ, I just know it sucks

You're part of the problem, friend. It's flawed but there is definite genius in there. If you like Pynchon and don't like Wallace, chances are you dont understand either.

>Perhaps he's the only "difficult" writer that they've ever read.
woah your lit cock is so much bigger than everyone else's in this thread!
>The fact that people in this thread genuinely believe that Pynchon is better than Joyce shows this well.
it is abosolutly forbiden to like one writer more than other writer, guys! this guy says so!
>Even Pynchon himself would be upset that you think he's better than Joyce.
lol who cares if he likes Steven King more than his own work
>You guys should be ashamed of yourselves for your shitty opinions.
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH kys

(You)
Wallace's prose doesn't even compare to Pynchon's

Not in Infinite Jest, sure.
Infinite Jest is very experimental with it's prose so it's can't compare. Pynchon was a bit more classical in that regard.
In terms of the meta-elements, which I believe were Pynchon's true innovation, i honestly feel Wallace somewhat succeeded Pynchon.

>In terms of the meta-elements, which I believe were Pynchon's true innovation, i honestly feel Wallace somewhat succeeded Pynchon.
Maybe, but in terms of exjecution Pynchon blows Wallace's ass the fuck out and Joyce's ass too

I agree with your sentiment but disagree with your autism

My sentiment and my autism are two faces of the same coin

>it is abosolutly forbiden to like one writer more than other writer, guys! this guy says so!
Liking an author more than another isn't the same as objectively claiming that they're superior. I even like Pynchon, but to claim that he's anywhere near the same level as Joyce is just ignorant.

Childhood is liking Joyce
Adulthood is liking Pynchon.

Why do you suck Joyce's cock so much

The Pale King had flashes of brilliance that Infinite Jest never even came close to. I believe that, had he finished it (it's clear from his notes that it wasn't even close, assuming he hadn't even finished what he viewed as part 1 of 2) it would have been his masterpiece. I think it's safe to assume he would have continued to improve, and perhaps there would be arguments to be made for him against Pynchon, but it's not even close with only Infinite Jest and some short fiction to hold up on comparison.

I wouldn't call DFW a genius, though he is brilliant at times. He merely rehashes older social commentary and applies it to modern suburban ennui. He's not an irreplaceable, world changing mind like true genius tends to be.

Because he's objectively the best. His sincere efforts to reach the pinnacle of literature and language is insanely inspiring.

[Spoiler]My family is from Ireland[/spoiler]

Why couldn't he kill himself after finishing it, fucking half-assing his own masterpiece, asshole

that doesn't make him objectively the best, maybe the most visionary

He knew the vast majority of people would misread the entire thing like they did with IJ.

such a lame excuse
he kiled himself because he stopped taking his pills because he had the delusion (maybe he was actually right) that they were limiting his creativity
his brain became a fart and then he killed himself
if I don't get some kind of direction in life by the end of the year I will do the same thing desu

Fuck is he an amazing stylist

Those shoulders though

Also just because he has a thinner ovoid face with chubby cheeks doesn't mean he doesn't have a jaw, you can't really tell that from these pics

where is this from, Mr.tripledigits?

God I love that fucking book

*good cop/bad cops your path"

mason & dixon

Yeah

There have been a lot of those.

Started Against the Day a few days ago, so far so good. Seems to be more dialogue than his previous tomes

i miss reading GR, it was such a challange, such a wild ride

what does Veeky Forums think of this theory?
twitter.com/cuttlefish_btc/status/700826096271396864

I don't listen to the opinions of Twitter accounts m8, not even if they're respected outside of Twitter.

I too am suspicious of this.

No need to have a jaw when you have elusive Pynchonian footwork.

You sure are mad.

was it autism?

What other prefaces/reviews has Pynchon written, if any?

There's honestly very little interesting discussion on literature on Veeky Forums. This whole thread is pretty much a lot of jokes, saying what we've read by Pynchon and asking what we should read next, insulting other people and Veeky Forums in general, "arguing" if Pynchon is better than joyce w/o giving any support, etc.

This is why, whenever anyone writes a mildly detailed, interesting, and correct post on a piece of literature, everyone flocks around to give them 10 to 20 replies saying , "whoa, good post man"

As if posts like that shouldn't be more common on Veeky Forums