Why does this frighten the Brit?

Why does this frighten the Brit?

This frightens me too, I like I nz, although I had it in Canada and was pleasently surprised

They probably think all squash dishes have to be savory, like we think of tomato dishes.

Pumpkins are native to America. Like most things native to America (with some exceptions) they're mostly enjoyed here.

Outdoor barbecues, moonshine, turkey, deep fried things that aren't normally deep fried, deep fried turkeys at an outdoor barbecue served with moonshine. You know, typical American things.

It's not just limited to the USA either. There's all kinds of shit from Mexico those Euros wouldn't eat. Just imagine the things Canada could've come up with if it didn't ice over 2 months after summer started.

It's good but Cherry Pie is my favourite American style pie.

Ever tried pecan pie? It's the patrician's choice.

>things americans believe

I have and it's delicious but for me cherry pie was something else. I had never had it until I went to the states and I was just blown away by how good it was. No one serves it over here. I should give a shot making it.

I have the opposite problem. I grew up with so much cherry and apple pie that I love pumpkin pie the most because you can only eat it for a few weeks a year.

No one makes pumpkin pie in March but you can eat apple pie all year long.

Pecan pie is good but you have to be nuts to think its your favorite. Teehee.

Huh. I never liked cherry pie much compared to pretty much any other kind. Guess it does take all kinds.

pecan al la mode
fucking do it

>Nut pie

Do Americans really eat this?

Cherry pie is at its best when the crust is lined with cheesecake

Ye. Is gut.

It's better than it sounds user.

It isn't boiled until it's flavorless.

I made a shoofly pie once and it was pretty good

>reads pecan pie as "nut" pie
interesting filter you have there

What the fuck

It's all about that Blackberry.

Pecans is nuts fool

You should try my nut on your pie.

Fuck yeah

Fuck, that looks so goddamned good.

Was it sweet or sour cherries?

Pecan pie is pretty much what you'd call treacle pie with a layer of candied pecans on top. The filling itself is a mixture of syrup, flour, eggs and butter

Tfw non-Pennsylvanians will never mention shoofly pie.

Pumpkin, peach, pecan, blueberry, strawberry, apple, rhubarb, it's all great.

I don't think I've had a blackbery or shoofly pie before.

No love for raisin pie?

If you're american post your state's regional pies

NC here, sweet potato pie beats out pumpkin pie any day

but I already did 9 posts above yours

Have 3rd worlders seriously never had pumpkin pie?

Sweet but kinda tart. No idea what kind of cherries though. It was just advertised as cherry pie and I got another slice immediately because it was just so good.

PA here (again), it has to be shoofly pie hands down. Pic related.

Oh I didn't see your post saying you made one and it was gud. Sorry user, didn't mean to rekt your asshole and pink sock you inadvertently.

Sweet potato pie is national isn't it? I mean we have SP pies up here. They're good but they're no pumpkin pie. In fact, it's very much a letdown when you see a sweet potato pie, think it's a pumpkin pie, only to take a bite and realize "ew, I got excited for this shit."

I'm from Wisconsin. My guess is it's a cranberry pie. I've made a persimmon pie before. It was good.

>The Texas House of Representatives named pecan pie as the state's official pie...

don't make your mum cry, bin that pie!

based

The tart ones are sometimes called sour, although I think I've always heard them called sour when referring to a pie and tart otherwise. Tart ones are definitely the best for pies.

There are non-savory tomato dishes? Tell me more.

moonshine is pretty popular in europe though innit? I knew this romanian girl whose grandmother made great moonshine.

5 more sleeps till pumpkin pie

strawberry pie is best pie and it's north american in origin

Even in small quantities, pecan pie tastes way too sweet for me. If I were to make it I'd used less sugar, and it might be pure bliss, but it's always been too decadent.

High-proof hooch ain't an American original. I live in the U.S. but have Polish ancestry. Poland has it's famous Rectified Spirits (Spirytus) and then a long infusion of that with honeys and fruits gets you something called Nalewka.

The only one I can think of is green tomato pie, it's made the same way apple pie is

Looks lovely. I shall have to try that out sometime.

More store-bought desserts have way too much sugar in them. Pecan pie is a little better because you have the slightly bitter pecans to balance it out a little though. Whenever I make a homemade dessert I usually cut 25% of the sugar out of the recipe and it comes out a lot better.

isn't that poisonous?

Good to know. I've only ever had it store-bought at family events, and it just leaves me jittery.

Nah. It's the leaves that are poisonous. And mildly, at that.

No I haven't. Looks extremely sweet. Is it?

Think roughly apple pie sweet, minus fruitiness, the consistency of a firm cheesecake, and the tastes of nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, and ginger.

It doesn't. Would be interested to try it.

Question is, what the hell else can we use pumpkins for?

Being fair for a moment, deep frying things that are not normally deep fried is definitively a Scottish thing. But you can have it too.

Sounds tasty!

Word.

Pickled pumpkin is supposed to be good. Other than that, soup. High in fiber and vitamin A.

>he's never had chess pie
if you can even call your pitiful existence "living"

is it like a cheese danish in pie form?

Kentucky - Derby Pie is probably the most famous but blackberry pie is far more popular in kentucky.

Basically just a walnut and chocolate chip pie.

Never could get behind chess pie. Just tastes like sugar. Pretty gross really.

>Texas tries to claim something else it had relatively little to do with
surprise surprise
Jumped on the bandwagon after Georgians invented it and continue with their superior production of it, then try to steal it.

Too late, it's ours now.

Y'all shit on the pecan in favor of the peach, and peach pie is the bomb too, so quit bitching.

>sweet pies

strewth mate

Get the fuck out of here with your baby food.

>not one mention of huckleberry pie

Who has time to hit the jungles of Washington state to pick huckleberries?

I used to get pumpkin soup in a cafe in the Netherlands all the time, although the Dutch are pretty worldly people, and I lived near Amsterdam and den haag so there's probably a larger international influence there

Buttermilk Pie

Birmingham, Alabama

what the fuck is that

They serve pumpkin curry in southeast Asia.

peas, meat pie, mashed potato

Dude, in Canada, grocery stores stock pumpkin pie and the ingredients to make it all year round. Life is grand up here.

Pennsylvania's redemption. Went once to visit a friend, had it for the first time at her parents' diner. It was amazing.

>ctrl+f "maple"
>0 results
It's not my favorite pie, but it's damn good. For anyone with a Cook's Country membership, they have the best recipe. I make it every year for Thanksgiving and it's the only pie with no leftovers.

Woah! No way! They sell canned pumpkin and spices all year long!?!?!?!?!?!?

Yep. It's pretty great. Did you know that most pumpkin pies aren't actually made with pumpkin? It's usually a sweeter variety of squash.

I didn't know that, user. Thanks.

Dude... Blackberry should always be a cobbler, not a pie

Isn't shoo fly pie just welfare pie? All the ingredients are the shit they give out to welfare moms

I mean... 90% of the things in this thread would be welfare food then.

And I don't recall the welfare office distributing molasses to poor single mothers.

Throw some motherfucking vanilla ice cream on that

It's mostly a corn syrup pie in practice, which is exactly their MO.

You didn't grow up in the 60's or 70's in the south then

Fuck yes warm blackberry cobbler and vanilla icecream

Proper kilju beats nalewka any day of the week. Truly the thinking man's gastronomic experience.

Tennessee only has a state fruit, but that's the tomato.

So our state pie is unironically 'go 'za.