Ketosis, is it a meme?

Anyone doing ketosis?

How many net carbs do you limit yourself to?

Do you take cheat days?

Favorite recipes?

I'm one week in, usually limit myself to under 25g net carbs but sometimes close to 50.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MzHLAqyO7PQ&feature=youtu.be
reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3w8eeh/im_michael_greger_md_founding_member_and_fellow/cxu8c2b
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It is for people with epilepsy. Stop turning it into a fad diet, .

I water fasted for 29 days successfully and didn't put the weight back on. it's been months.

You need to make it beyond the 2 year mark.

>favorite recipes

go heavy on non-starchy vegetables.

i like zoodles, french cut green beans, broccoli, and cauliflower. dress in in rich italian sauces.

and buy heads of cabbage and make tons of coleslaw.

thanks, i appreciate it, ill definitely start doing tons of zuchini

just depends on discipline and how much you want to not die at 40. my dad had a heart attack at 36 perfectly normal and helathy, not overweight or anything, so I'm pretty motivated

I think he just meant you should EAT the zucchini, calm down there big guy.

Not a meme. Lost 20 pounds on keto. After Ive achieved my target goal I stopped doing keto and I noticed I get hungry easily again.

Depends on what you mean by "is it a meme?".
It DOES work, if you can stick with it. My wife lost 30 lbs in a couple months doing keto.
The only problem is that it makes you fucking miserable, especially if you like food.
You simply can't have bread, potatoes, any dessert that doesn't taste like asshole, beer, pizza, anything fried, or pasta. She dropped keto and gained most of the weight back.
If you don't care about that and can live easily by only consuming meat, fat, zucchini and cauliflower then go for it.
My wife started eating healthier in general in the past couple months. Less carbs overall, bigger portions of vegetables. We have something carb heavy maybe once a week. She's lost more weight in 2 months than she did on 4 months of keto and is way happier since she can eat more than the same 5 things over and over.

im already my target weight and already ate super healthy. im doing Ketosis because its supposedly anti-inflammatory and i have a lot of neurological pain.

Hm. Is it helping any so far?

im only 10 days in so im probably not even in ketosis yet. i live with so much daily pain though im willing to try anything.

Been on keto for 2 years now. I really like the constant energy level, instead of up and down when I ate carbs.

Also quit trying to imitate regular food with shit like zoodles. That's what vegans do. Just eat the damn zucchini

gotcha, i can see how the imitation is a meme. going to try making my own granola tomorrow.

cauliflower rice mac and cheese tastes too good

Get some ketone urine strips. They're not expensive. If you're doing it for therapy you should try to be scientific about it.

Is there any evidence keto is more effective than just eating well rounded meals with a calorie deficit?

Have you ever thought about simply not being a retarded, fat piece of shit that gorges yourself on food like a pig at a trough? I assume you're an American, so I will predict your answer of "no."

I've been on keto for pretty much 10 years. Lost ~100lbs and kept it off. I also have a skin problem and eating keto seems to keep it under control.

This. What is with Americans and coming up with all these elaborate "diet plans" when they could just stop drinking soda and stop eating 5000 calories a day.

No

>What is with Americans and coming up with all these elaborate "diet plans"

Brilliant American medical doctors devised a therapeutic diet that saved the lives of many people with epilepsy, diabetes, and possibly Alzheimer's (wait). Turns out it also helps fat people stop being fat.

Ooh. How are your kidneys? Every other opinionated retard without a medical degree likes to tell me a long term ketogenic diet destroys kidney function. You're still here, so?

I have a clean bill of health. My blood tests show that all of my organs are functioning normally.

Good to hear. Where does this myth come from? Untreated type 2 diabetics who suddenly see the light and start eating ketogenic diets often have poor kidney function from prior years of abuse and then people mistake the correlation for causation?

I'm not sure. I haven't looked into it. It may be due to the type of foods they are consuming. I'd imagine there's a big difference between living off of bacon and cheese compared to low carb vegetables and healthy fat sources.

It's almost like not eating complete shit is healthy... Really made me think...

No more effective than plain calorie restriction. It's just a way of tricking yourself into doing it more easily, mostly by putting convenience foods off limits.

youtube.com/watch?v=MzHLAqyO7PQ&feature=youtu.be

How is pasta a regular food? Do you know how much trouble a human in the wilderness would have to go through to make pasta, as opposed to just cutting up a zucchini with a knife? The reason vegans are stupid is because they try to make something simple (a piece of meat) complicated by using a million different ingredients processed in different ways only to end up with some sad abomination of a dish. Pasta is actually more in line with something vegans would do because you have to go through a complicated process to produce these “noodles” that are basically the same as the much simpler spiral zucchini, the way God intended, which has more flavor and nutrients.

Not 100% true. In ketosis you’re body is specifically geared towards burning fat, so as you lose weight you will lose more fat than muscle. Sure, the weight loss is the same efficiency as a standard CICO diet but you won’t lose as much muscle

>carbs cause visible bloat, increased water weight and increased fat storage
>remove or limit them
>"wow, how did I lose so much weight"

>eating pasta
Just eat the damn wheat

Whole wheat pasta with this is pretty good:

reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3w8eeh/im_michael_greger_md_founding_member_and_fellow/cxu8c2b

I've made my own pasta before and I get that, but I'm comparing it to store bought pasta. It's less work to bite into a zucchini than it is to make zoodles out of it.

I've been having under 15g of carbs a day for 3 weeks. 198lbs to 173lbs.

How much weight will I gain when I reintroduce carbs? I need to know so I know where to set my target weight.

I’ve been doing keto for a while now and just recently discovered Allulose. Been using it as a substitute for sugar in all sorts of desserts like cheesecake, brownies, and ice cream. It’s fucking amazing.
It is a naturally sourced rare sugar that tastes like sugar yet can’t be metabolized in your body. It’s a carb that doesn’t count as a carb and doesn’t take you out of ketosis or raise your blood sugar at all.
Completely works just like sugar does. It caramelizes and everything.
Made this brownie sundae with it and it’s completely indistinguishable from one made with actual sugar.

>Allulose
longtime effects aren't known yet. could be nothing, but I wouldn't consume things like that.

People have been ingesting natural sources of allulose like maple syrup, jackfruit, figs, and raisins for quite a long time.

it does add more variety. different textures are important for some people. zucchini are cheap so it's good way to not get sick of them.

We live in a strange world.

You'll probably gain 5 pounds of water weight back. After that, it's pretty much calories in/calories out, granted you can handle the increased hunger. If I were you, I'd continue to avoid refined sugar forever.

Chank nabe like the sumo wrestlers. No tofu, no rice, no noodles.

It's pretty awesome.

Keto works great for diabeetus. Source: was diabeeted, now I'm a pilot.

It's a gateway vegetable, you do one zuke and six months later you're giving blowjobs at highway rest stops to afford your cauliflower habit.

The test strips don't really work for ketosis, they're meant to detect ketoACIDosis for diabetics.

I got news for ya bubba, not drinking soda didn't do shit for me. Neither did starving myself. It took eating lots of cheese and bacon to make me lose weight.

The lack of carbohydrates REALLY REALLY helps with not getting hungry, though. I've been amazed. 18-20 hours without eating, no problem on keto.

>The test strips don't really work for ketosis, they're meant to detect ketoACIDosis for diabetics.

Yes they do.
The entire point of ketosis is that your body converts fats to ketones to burn as energy, and it can't re-convert them to fat.
Once it makes ketones, they either get used or pissed out.

the test strips show that you're converting more fat to ketones than you currently burn as energy, thereby losing net fat.

The test strips work fine for both scenarios. They measure the very same ketone body excreted in the urine both by a person in dietary ketosis or a person in DKA. The difference is in the amount, which is why they are made to change hues on a color gradient. They are not 100% accurate, but they are good enough to detect trace, low, medium, and high amounts of ketones. I have read that after many months in dietary ketosis some people become "keto-adapted" and the results are not accurate. After having been in dietary ketosis for three years with 1 test a day, this has never happened to me though.

What I find kind of cool is that when you're lazy, the test strips are a really light trace color, but when you've been going for long jogs you can turn them pretty dark. Evidence of expended fat calories!