Why a lot of high IQ people are socially inept?

why a lot of high IQ people are socially inept?

Other urls found in this thread:

washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2014/08/25/three-quarters-of-whites-dont-have-any-non-white-friends/
youtube.com/watch?v=l6g0gDrCUi8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Society is IQ-inept

Difficulty relating to others, ostracization. Basically if you're not an idiot while growing up or at least pretending to be, you'll be relentless mocked by your peers or, at best, ignored.

Because some of them can't or don't want to go down to an idiot's level.

You don't get that far outside of the bell curve without being disfunctional in some way

1) harder to relate to normal people
2) social brain space taken over by other tasks
any other basic ideas?

>tfw socially inept and average iq

the brain can only do much, its size is basically the same for all people. to more accurately problem-solve reality, the higher iq brain is structured to be more objective and less driven by feelings and social drives, such as herd mentality & advertising etc

>brain space
Nice meme

Autism.

>why a lot of high IQ people are socially inept?
is it because society is fucking retarded?

>Be high IQ 1-year-old
>Peers literally can't talk

>Be high IQ 3-year-old
>Important part of social development
>Peers are practically talking monkeys

>Be high IQ 7-year-old
>Growing resentment as you realize the reason school is so boring is that your peers are holding back the pace

3) overthinking. Some situations don’t need to be theorized completely before happening, but high IQ people tend to anyways.

I know how it feels.

Having fucked up habits due to NEET behavior is something everyone has to avoid though.

Cause having high IQ compensate for other brain functions. Wich sometimes lowers social skills. You said social skills. Could be you have both but you have the IQ to see how messed up society is and therefore you find people in it messed up and you don't want to be messed up and shit like them. Because you are better but your also worst.

overthinking is what underthinkers think smart people do.

It is beneficial for mediocre people to suppress and isolate smart ones form evolutionary perspective so that they have more chances to survive and reproduce after the main competitor is removed.

Someone find the "oh shit, I replied to every post, now what?" Smuggie please

As for OP's question, I'm guessing a hard time relating to others. During my high school years I was participating in a bonus program for students who performed well and found it much easier to make friends there.

Brain power is relatively equal between individuals, but people have a predilection towards different modes of thinking. Traditional conceptions of intelligence favors systematic thinking (linear, logical-deductive), other people however prefer a more holistic mode of thinking (non-linear, emotional, generalist). It doesn´t mean emotional people have less mental power, it just that they are less efficient for hard sciences and are best for social interactions, also for aesthetics and quick action.
I kind of corroborated this when I realized a friend of mine that leans towards the second case was extremely clever and quick at comebacks, analogies, jokes, to an extent I never could reach, even when I would be considered more intelligent than him in the traditional sense.
The extreme case of systematic thinking would be full autism, and the extreme of holistic thinking would be borderline personality disorder.
People with legitimate above average brain power would probably excel both at hard reasoning and social interactions.

I pulled this out of my ass

people who score higher IQ have used their brain more at solving difficult problems that you find on IQ tests, and not solving social interactions. There's only so much time in the day; spend your time doing one thing and that's less time to learn about something else.

If they had more people time, they'd probably be better at it. I mean, by a certain age I imagine most learn to socialize fairly OK.

small talk and other such social interactions are non-rewarding.

Hello, hey, how are you doing? oh, cool... hey did you know that Stacy and Chad just got a new car? Do you know what random statistic a pointless sports team achieved? Who do you think is going to win the game tomorrow?

These are unbearably dull conversations for anyone intelligent. Considering most social interaction is this way it's not a surprise that some math expert pushing boundaries of human understanding doesn't care. Not saying I am one, but the average social interaction is pretty pointless and uninteresting.

I agree which is why I hate when people say I'm "more intelligent than others", I just have the traditional intelligence but there are other just as equal intelligences that everyone else has and I lack.

It would seem so.
I've noticed people that are faster in the brain are faster in the tongue.

>I don't like small talk
>I'm such a genius; I'm far beyond the current temperature and gossip

You do realize everyone is above small-talk, right?

It's just a stepping stone toward a greater goal.

Because genius, by definition, is abnormal.
Therefore, it is a form of neurodiversity.
People with high IQs also tend to exhibit more autistic traits than the average person.
Everyone also happens to be on autistic spectrum, as that is what a spectrum is.
Therefore, if high IQ people are neurodiverse and exhibit more autistic traits than the average person, this means that are more autistic than the average person, some with enough autistic traits to be recognisable as Asperger's or high-functioning autism.
However, there also appears to be a 'sweet spot' on the autistic spectrum, that if you're past a certain point and have too many autistic traits, you are no longer functioning, this is classical autism.

Because a lot of people that want to be intelligent are social failures and have nothing else

Anons that think that social interactions are not Anons that think that social interactions are not exceptionally complex from a computational perspective are just fedora nerds rationalizing their shity childhood.

Just looking at a calculator and then comparing it to facial recognition software should make you realize that social operations are not less complicated than le epic mathematical reasoning .

Also thinking that socialization is just saying “nice weather” simply demonstrates how spergy you are.

Why do you think the most socially adept people are idiotic? No one said that just that a lot of people may not have much interest in socializing or find it very rewarding.

Women for instance are pretty much entirely better at socialization because of the sexual dimorphism in brain reward centers (more social reward) whereas men have more conquest/achievement rewards.

>i wasn't as retarded as my other, happier, more social classmates so i must have been a genius: the thread

I they were good at it they would realize it is in fact very rewarding, profiting and very challenging. Excelling at socialization is not unlike treating life as a big game of chess.
If you were emotionally intelligent, you would know that simply saying “nice weather“ will statically increase your chances at succeeding at life.

I kind of agree, but think the two different ways of thinking are just caused by different motivations. I avoid socializing because it gives me anxiety and I haven't had the right experiences to build a drive that overpowers that. Math is nice to me though.

Sometimes I wish they put a cap on how many you can reply to. Post like this annoys the fuck out of me, especially since I have to filter them out.

it's just one post m8

which one of your posts did he (You) that got you so flustered?

How do I become emotionally intelligent?

Was I supposed to have good friends that educated me as to what people are?

It feels as if it's not worth learning how to socialize.

It feels like people I communicate with are my enemy, and nothing can change that, so why bother talking to them in the first place?

Why not just have sex with prostitutes and have one friend from highschool?

He didn't (You) me, I just have some sort of thing where I have to inline all of the replies in the posts before I go to the next post, if that makes sense?

I wouldn’t know, I’m not very good at it.

But I think that the most efficient way of fixing it would be changing your pleasure aim. It’s possible that mental structure develops following a pleasure principle. People that are good at socialization find it enjoyable, which reinforces these social mental pathways.
If you do not find joy in interacting with people you probably will never become good at it, as a person that do not enjoy math will never become good at it.
You would need to mental gymnastic yourself into enjoying interacting with people, and the rest will fall itself into place. You would become better at it simply by practice.

>It feels like people I communicate with are my enemy
Unironically try going to a psychologist.

>Go to a psychologist

I constantly see people comparing themselves and trying to rip me down in the process. They attack me. They say I'm slow, etc, because my life is worth nothing to them.

I constantly see a deep indifference toward me from others, and I can't help but see that such an indifference is no different from direct malice should the time come.

I think this is all a consequence of hunter-gatherer tribes being forced to interact while belonging to their own tribe. I am their enemy, and they are mine.

Why do "friends" betray so easily?

This, desu

I got bullied and made fun of for answering questions in class, for doing homework at lunch time, for being in nerdy classes, for joining a special advanced reading group in elementary school English class, and things like this. I never fit in because I was always analyzing the social patterns of people and forgot how to reproduce the patterns myself. I remember being astounded at the seeming social ineptitude of my peers in preschool, and the types of social games they played made no sense to me and were not nice or thoughtful. Once in preschool they made fun of a blind kid for going into the girl's bathroom on accident and I remember not understanding how they didn't understand the situation enough to forgive him and overlook it. Sometimes the right view is not the majority view and this can result in social ostracization

I don't want to sound like a fedora, I'm just giving my life experience.

Save from legit psychopaths, human beings are biologically predisposed towards being friendly to each other. If people are hostile it generally is in self interest, fear, ignorance, etc. rather than malice. The human race is also evolving, carried by culture, into being incrementally social and altruistic. “Hunter gatherer”, tribalist behavior is constantly being left behind in the process.
You seem to carry some traumas dude. Bad past experiences can alter you perception into thinking that other are going after you. You definitely should try to look into psychotherapy, I say it in good spirit.

That is the most fedora thing I’ve read

>Tribalist behavior is being left behind

I doubt this.

washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2014/08/25/three-quarters-of-whites-dont-have-any-non-white-friends/

I don't hurt other people as a matter of moral principle, but I don't feel warm feelings toward them unless we've bonded through years of time.

It's terribly easy for me to hurt people for my own personal gain. I think it's the same for everyone that's not a close friend of mine, and life keeps validating this.

It's not hard to see that others are going after me. They really are.

Here's a song for you:

youtube.com/watch?v=l6g0gDrCUi8

Kids are kids user, they are like animal people. These behaviors are by definition antisocial, the fact that they had friends in spite of that is caused by various factors, but being hostile towards each other is not what socialization is. Most of the time they straighten when they mature and become better. However these bad experiences you had will carry on and taint your future perceptions of people.

>not pretending to be
This is why we need Odin

>washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2014/08/25/three-quarters-of-whites-dont-have-any-non-white-friends/
Socioeconomic and cultural reasons, not evolutive. Multiracial societies exist. Also I didn’t say we were perfectly sociable, but while a modern white person would prefer few black friends, a caveman would have probably killed the black man on sight. We have progressed.

>It's terribly easy for me to hurt people for my own personal gain.
In that case you probably are psychopathic, user. Some people are good at social games and can hide their psychopathy and escape its consequences, which is not your case apparently.
Your antisocial behavior, carried without social finesse, cause people to become hostile towards you. Why wouldn’t they? You said you are fine with hurting them, don’t be a hypocrite.
Look into euthanasia.

don't you sometimes just want to relax? Just like one day on 2 weeks of hard work?

>Ad hominem, short for argumentum ad hominem, is a fallacious argumentative strategy whereby an argument is rebutted by attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself.

They aren't, there's more high IQ social people. They just stand out, "huh that loner isn't a retard"

>It's all socio-economic
>There is no biological precedent for any of this from either race despite the races interacting on a daily basis

I think you're full of shit

I think the caveman would've walked away and told stories about the black man, not killed him.

I'm not hurting anyone, but I know what I am.
You are probably that way too.

its true though

its true, i was mocked alot for being a good student, honestly perhaps over zealous. but when i began to clown around and play dumb, my peers were no longer threatened by my intelligence and befriended me.

yea, thats why its annoying, because no one wants to but everyone does. like standing in que or something

This, I'd like to see any evidence that IQ and social integration are related in the way you're suggesting.
Or take a trip over to /r9k/ and notice how many posters appear to be or even describe themselves as dumb as a rock.