Anyone else worried about Thanksgiving approaching?

Anyone else worried about Thanksgiving approaching?

More specifically, is it your turn to host?

I hope it isn't mind. I have to work through Wednesday, no time to prepare for Thursday.

mine*

tfw my family always buy precooked Thanksgiving turkey and mashed potatoes at Kroger's every year

Undeserved dubs

Why would you be afraid of Thanksgiving? I can't wait for it; I'm only afraid my home repairs won't be finished in time and I'll have to ask my sister to host this year.

Sad. Can you make something for them instead?

Because I have work until Wednesday and would really only have Thursday to prepare. Not sure what to make. Not really that good of a cook.

I'm making stuffed quail for Thanksgiving this year

I've done baked ham before for myself, I guess i'll bring some when I visit them

Yeah, mostly 'cause I can't afford a flight home.

Is it really salty? Any prep tips?

Not me, a few divorces and falling outs happened this year so I won't have to go and eat an awkward meal with a bunch of people I don't like or care about.

Just have to put up with blood relatives but I'm ok with that.

I've never had Thanksgiving. I'm American, but I'm also Vietnamese so we've never celebrated the traditional dinner.

Feels bad man

sucks being american man

Well, now I am. At least Halloween is coming up first, the most comfy of holidays.

What’s good to cook for Halloween dinner?

Yeah i hate the annual penis inspection as well.

Not exactly. I work in retail so there's not a chance in hell I'll be home for Thanksgiving. In fact I probably won't even be able to get a good night's sleep until the day after.

Does the store do anything nice for you? You get holiday pay and/or maybe some little treats?

Only thing I'm worried about is having to work on Thanksgiving.

I just consider it a normal day and eat anything I normally would, personally. Good question though, would like to hear ideas if anyone has any.

>having a holiday to celebrate genocide

do American's really do this?

I love thanksgiving, the whole side of the family (~25 people) get together for a weekend.

Canadian thanksgiving is this weekend.

(Sunday) Pre-dinner:
>Turkey Olympics (lawn games, sometimes bobbing for apples)
>Pool party
>My dad hot-smokes salmon and brings couple fillets
>Brie, sharp white cheddar, other cheese
>Shrimp rings
>Beer around the pool

Main course:
>Huge Turkey, sometimes two smaller ones
>Stuffing
>Mashed potatoes
>Homemade turkey gravy
>Sweet potato crumble
>Corn & broccoli
>Ham & pineapple
>Nearly a dozen bottles of wine

Desert:
>Apple crumble & Ice cream
>Blueberry pie
>Banana bread
>Stuff my female cousins baked

After dinner:
>Euchre tournament
>Christmas gift exchange planning
>Board games

(Monday) brunch the next day:
>Pounds of regular bacon
>Pounds of peameal bacon
>Dozens of eggs with sausage, onions, peppers, cheese
>Fruit
>Quiche
>Muffins

But one of my cousins is getting married, so we're having an engagement party at the same place on Saturday, which will be another all-day thing.

This all takes place in a very large house (Sleeps 12 comfortably) North of Toronto.

Fuck you and your much better life than mine.

>Anyone else worried about Thanksgiving approaching?
Why would thanksgiving be worrying?

I look forward to it. It's an excuse to cook a big fancy meal. Plus, there are always fantastic deals to be had on ingredients after any major holiday like that. All the unsold turkeys (etc.) will get marked down to like crazy. It's a great chance to stock up and fill the freezer.

I'm looking forward to doing the turkey. I'm going to glue the breasts together and make a meat loaf for the ultimate turkey club sandwich, I'm de-tendoning the drumsticks and frying them (might get a few extra in case more than two people want a drumstick), and I'm not sure what to do with the thighs, might just grind them into taco meat or something.

I have about 5 of these per year

New Years, Easter, The [Our family name] Open (Our family owns a golf course), Thanksgiving, Christmas

I haven't done Black Friday at this store yet, but the other store I used to work at did pay us time and a half, plus they stocked the break room with extra microwaves a bunch of cheap microwavable crap food.

It'll be great, user. I just hope to relax on the sugar this year.

only because turkey is some of the driest poultry, even when cooked properly
not too big of a fan of the flavor, either

>why would thanksgiving be worrying

To those who would be hosting family dinner at their place, the anxiety of setting that all up, and the cooking aspect of it if they aren't confident in their skill.

To shut-in NEETS such as myself, either having the whole family over or going to the gathering of people to silently suffer with social anxiety and answer dumb questions from family as they silently judge you.

Nope. I'll be on a cruise. I get to say FUCK all that Thanksgiving family get together bullshit this year. I'll be eating marijuana edibles, drinking liquor, fucking, gambling and eating good ass food that I don't have to prepare or clean the dishes.

no worries. my family is kinda spread out. too far to drive.

>I'm American
>but I'm also Vietnamese
pick a side, gook

One of the best things about this country is that you don't HAVE to pick a side.

I'll be spending it alone again

>chooses American
>everyone still calls you Chinese anyway

lol Americans

No not really. All of my American colleagues will be off for a few days so it'll be nice and quiet and I'll get some work done without being interrupted by meetings.

We had a very brutal period of our history dedicated to squashing hyphenated-Americans.

Probably before your ancestors came here, Nguyen.

>To shut-in NEETS such as myself, either having the whole family over or going to the gathering of people to silently suffer with social anxiety and answer dumb questions from family

Just get drunk user, trust me, no one will want to fuck with you if you're drinking glass after glass of bourbon.

Same. I'll still make a turkey though and some sides just for fun.

kek, same here. I'll probably wash it down with a couple bottles of wine too, it's still super comfy.

Yep, this has been my game plan every single time. The second I arrive, I locate the beer cooler and start going at it. It really helps to numb my social anxiety.

Not at all. I just need to give my dad one or two whole food vegan recipes, instruct him how to not half ass it and source ingredients not found at every honky supermarket, and show up.

Snickers

>on a cruise
>good food

No.

your dad doesn't like you

The gravy is a metaphor for native blood and you pour it all over the mashed potatoes which symbolizes the virgin soil of the Americas

Kinda. My parents always guilt trip me about not coming home. They're getting old. Both 70 now. I know I should go but it's an 8 hour flight and I really hate traveling. I won't go this year but I will probably have to suck it up and go for Christmas.

I look forward to the Thanksgiving I'll have with my wife, though. It's comfy as fuck with just the two of us.

This is why I always have extra gravy. The stuffing/dressing represents all the food/resources we stole, and the desserts are symbolic of the sweet sweet victory at the end.

Most of our history has been spent squashing anyone who wasn't a white Protestant. Hell, the holiday in question is an attempt to sugar coat the beginning of an attempted genocide.

>genocide
fuck off tumblr

I'd like to get baked and stuff your female cousins too

Quality Pepe there, my friend. Yep, a couple bottles would probably kill me but I'll get pretty shitfaced.

I'm sure there are high end cruises, but even those I could never do. I just picture trashed fatasses rushing for the last chocolate covered strawberry

You think I’m using that term negatively.

Thanksgiving refers to the first harvest of Jamestown where after the Indians showed the settlers how to grow corn and they had a huge harvest, they invited the indians to feast for 3 days on the corn and wild turkey.

The genocidal policies don't start until after the Indians sack Jamestown and the settlers spend 10 years hunting down and pushing the Powhatan tribes away from the colony.

I'm going to be hammered drunk and fucked up on ativan so I'm catatonic for the conversation, No worries here.

Fuck no, Thanksgiving is great. My mom or sister usually hosts everyone(everyone being me, my wife, my 2 sisters, their husbands and their 4 total kids), but everyone contributes some food. Every year we have a big turkey, stuffing, cranberry "sauce"(aka that weird cranberry jello that comes in a can), mashed potatoes, gravy made from the turkey drippings, and then whatever extra casserole or whatever that everyone brings. Last year I brought homemade mac and cheese that had green onions and bacon, might make something similar this year.

Do burger friends actually like turkey? Or is it just tradition?
I find it to be incredibly dry no matter what. Maybe I've just been unlucky, dont know

Deep frying a turkey after a short brine keeps the meat perfectly moist. You can also keep it moist by basting constantly for hours.

It is a tradition though.

Typically people who serve dry turkey didn't put much effort into monitoring it.

very

>I'm American
>never had Thanksgiving
Choose ONE you ungrateful little prick.

You betcha
God knows I've been craving my grandma's ham for a while...

Sounds more like providing minimal provisions to keep you alive and productive than 'doing something nice.' Reminds me of prepping for an audit in a conscript military
>alright we need you guys to pull a month of overtime so the captain gets a bonus and a better chance of promotion
>you'll get a half day off at the end, be grateful
Hope you make it through, user

Sounds pretty comfy, if you get along with you family. What're you disgruntled about, leaf?

I wonder - if the Indians had won (and sailed across the Atlantic to buttfuck Europa) would they be fretting about winning?

>get hammered
>wake up in bed with your recently divorced aunt
>family collapses due to schisming and infighting
Nice!

lel, even if my aunt was hot, my somewhat numbed social anxiety is still there. No way of it happening. Not even with my solid 9/10 cousin. Not even if she wasn't my cousin, because I simply can't deal with social situations, never mind "hooking up" with someone.

Weren't they also celebrating a successful team-up wherein the Jamestown colonists and the Powhatans fought and won a battle against a neighboring tribe the Powhatans were at war with?

I like it, but I honestly prefer honey-cured ham. My family usually has both.

I'm pretty autismal and have still gotten into "oh god who/what did I do last night" situations. Is this regular alcoholism or just social/family situations alcoholism? I picture your family being insufferable about it regardless.
>hey user, straight for the beer, eh?
>I'd ask why this picture you took was so blurry, but we already know, user, hehe

Holy shit what a huge faggot

Who do I have to marry to become part of this family.

G

Well, then you're better off than me. It's kind of a mix of both, but mostly social anxiety drinking. I won't even think about touching alcohol if I have weed around though, but I do drink heavily when I don't. And thankfully I'm a lightweight, and it's an occasion where everyone is drinking, so I blend right in. I'll get 5 beers in me and a bunch of wine whenever I'm eating at the table, be pretty numbed and not raise many eyebrows. I'm almost certain they do talk about my drinking behind my back though.

No. For the past 5 years it's been a quaint Thanksgiving for two. Living across the country from both our families has its perks.

You can just tell them that you have to work on Thanksgiving, you know

"oh god who/what did I do last night" can snowball into worse anxiety, in my experience. Source: drinking myself to sleep most nights to drown out the feels. I suspect weed might be better, but you can still get the death sentence for that, where I am. Not that it's unavailable, just hugely risky, expensive, and of terrible quality.

Go trapmode and offer the leaf your boipucci

Wow, I replied to my own post like a drunken spastic

do some research is best tip

I DID IT AGAIN

I AM I AND I ARE ALL WE

kek, you ok there man?

Why would I be worried? I love cooking and Thanksgiving means I get to spend a couple days in the kitchen cooking tons of good food.

fucking canadians

Yes you are, me.

Nah, I'm not. I do the cooking every year, so I've got it down to a science. Also, I prep and start the turkey on the rotisserie, but then I get another family member to watch it, so I can be busy in the kitchen. You just have to schedule everything out ahead of time. I make everything from scratch, down to the pie crusts and yeast rolls, so it's all about timing, timing, timing.

Yeah. My mouth is straight up fucked. I have an appliance to change the shape of my jaw. A cosmetic procedure I finally got around to. It sure will be nice spending the holidays drinking Slimfast shakes.

Worried? Hell no. Even though I'm hosting, I can't wait. Turkey, gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, butternut squash mac and cheese, roasted asparagus, mashed potatoes, fennel and endive salad, yeast rolls, scrtach-made green bean casserole, relish tray, red onion jam, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, apple strudel.......It will be glorious.

even the high end dinning on a cruse is shit one night its chilled strawberry soup then next night is chilled mixed fruit soup.

>who do I marry to join a leaf family

Maybe their dog?

Yeah, sounds absolutely dreadful. Even the ones with only 200 people on it, you're stuck on a floating petri dish with a bunch of classless plebs.

No, because i'm lucky enough to not be American.

Well I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free

which one of our bombing zones do you live in?

Since que don't have thanksgiving, i make turkey on Christmas

What do you guys do to make your turkey wet?

>Thanksgiving
>entire family (especially sister) banters the fuck out of me the whole time
>eventually banter back once for fun
>OY VEY IT'S LIKE ANOTHER SHOAH
>everyone shits on me afterwards

fuck my family and their thin skin

That's interesting to cast the story of European conquest in terms of winners and losers. Because most of the colonial era was Europeans arriving someplace and by force saying, "Now you play our game, and the rules say we win." I'm really not passing judgment on that, because that's how conquest works. I'm just saying if you want to understand what's fucked up about the present you just have to look at the past in that light.

everyone is dead, hates each other or has moved too far away