Have any of you ever had near death experiences, or cancer scares? Or have survived cancer? If so...

Have any of you ever had near death experiences, or cancer scares? Or have survived cancer? If so, how did it effect your literary ambitions? Did it squash or accelerate them?

bump

I was almost killed in a car accident.
Yes it "accelerated" my ambitions.
It convinced me to pursue comics over literature to avoid intellectual posturing and lean towards artistic honesty. I don't particularly care for "success". I don't particularly care for artistic merit. I don't particularly want to open up about it but it wasn't as profound as one would imagine.

I've had a fair few near death experiences.
>fell off saltburn cliff
>bus ran me over
>almost fell of the edge of a waterfall
>chav stabbed me twice
>pulled out to sea by tide when young
>hit my head off a rock when jumping off waterfall
>fell out of a 50 foot tall tree

None of them really changed anything.

You must be a madman to get so many close calls.

Just a standard boys childhood isn't it?
Most of my friends have had their share of near death experiences.
Also, I forgot:
>almost died of hypothermia

I was in a plane crash when I was younger.

More recently, I have blood in my semen and I'm waiting for a doctors appointment.

None of this has changed my literary ambitions.

>blood in semen

I hope it's just overfapping or something user.

Had a close brush with cancer, I contracted it shortly after reading your post.

Me too, but I only fap once a week. The Interwebz seem to say something between benign-wont-ever-figure-it-out to prostate cancer rip.

>only fap once a week

That's pretty impressive.

Yeah, the doctor is going to be blown away that I'm a 31 year old wizard that only faps once, sometimes only every other, a week. If I'm really lucky my dad will force his way into the appointment to hear that too.

>31 year old wizard

Fuck man, that sucks.
I lost mine at 16 but haven't had sex since I was 19 (24y/o).
If it's any consolation, sex isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Fapping is actually better in many ways.

Thanks, user. Well maybe if my dick doesn't fall off and I don't die of prostate cancer I'll get lucky in my mid 30s by hiring a whore.

Just lower your standards man. (not that I did)
Find a nice homely woman, you might even want to marry her.
Then you can have kids and be happy with the fact that you have accomplished your evolutionary goal, even if your wife is a bit ugly.

I'm not sure I want to. I'm a quiet loner, and I feel like maybe having a gf - let alone wife - might be more of a challenge than it is worth. I like the idea of cuddles and loving someone, but I don't know what it would be like to have someone constantly around. Would it be annoying for someone like me? Perhaps it is a luxury of not knowing what I'm missing? I've read plenty of love stories, but my experience with relationships is mostly limited to seeing what my childhood was like with fighting, bitter, abusive parents. I never saw how parents should act, or what a healthy relationship looks like. All those unspoken rules that can only be learned through experience. And since I never learned about relationships through experience in my teens and 20s, that I might not know how to manage one at all.

I'm a loner myself and I agree that it is more of a challenge than its worth when you're young, that's why I haven't had sex in about 5 years.
However, you're getting close to the point of no return when it comes to having kids.
27-35 is really the golden age for starting a family.
Sure, a relationship might not be the best experience and parenting might be confusing/hard, but that's how it has been for all of human history.
You'll regret not having kids when you're old, people always do.
At least give it a go before you hit 40, don't die having never tried.
There are women who don't make it a challenge, who can just slot into your life comfortably.
My first girlfriend was like that, friggin perfect for me. Alas, she had to move to fucking France for her parents work and we fell out of touch.
But I know that I'll probably be able to find someone like her when I need it, a nice asexual waifu who nonetheless wants kids.

Just give it a go user, you can do it.

mfw I found a growing lump in my ballsack a week ago

it's definitely new because I love to cup my balls and squeeze them and play with my ballsack all the time when I'm on the computer
it's hard and doesn't hurt and it's spreading
gonna go to the doctor on thursday

Yeah, I might regret not having kids, but, I've never even had a gf so not sure if I could even manage to find a girl who would want to have my kids, let alone a good one. I'm going to keep working on myself and try to have everything else really lined up before I attempt a gf. Other than socially, I'm doing well. Good job, financially stable, even though I suffer from depression I'm steady and reliable, all which would be good for kids (although bit worried about a qt stealing all my money).

Wish you luck user. I swear my penis hurts but I think it might just be in my head since the blood issue is going on. Have you looked on Google? Probably a good idea not to, that shit always scares me.

google is fuck all compared to a doctor

yeah but you don't have to wait three fucking weeks for an appointment

Almost overdosed once. Didn't really affect my ambitions just decided stop doing drugs as much.

It's perfectly valid to appreciate one form of art over the other, but it doesn't mean that everyone who likes something you don't is posturing

I read before that blood in semen can happen sometimes for no reason.

I took a big ol' bottle of benadryl and a fifth of vodka and it caused rhabdomylysis and kidney failure and i layed around my hostel that I was renting for a few days before a friend called 911. I couldn't even remember doing it. Shit gave me amnesia.

And now I have permanent nerve damage in my legs and foot drop in my left leg. GG.

Although now I am kind of obsessed with the idea that I did actually die and this is just the universe I survived in.

I'm praying it just goes away.

I have a very big chance to get cancer, because my dad died of it, as did my grandpa (the same kind), but they haven't found any genes in me that would cause the same type of cancer. Yet, though, I'm unsure as they did tell me it is entirely possible that the process is still blind to what exact genes might cause this particular cancer (a skin cancer).

I do not have literary ambitions really, but it does make me feel rather uneasy as I can't be arsed to die when I'm about 40.

We'll see, I'm calling their office tomorrow

By the way I'm a med student so I should know that google is worthless compared to a visit to the doctor's

Samefag here, I'm reading up on the procedures of what you're supposed to do when you find a lump there
Supposedly they have to examine your balls immediately, which makes sense. No 3 weeks.

I made my appointment yesterday, first available appointment is the 31st. Probably spend ten minutes with me and then order like twenty procedures including an anal probe. What's the procedure for blood in semen?

You haven't gotten to ball inspections in school yet?

Recently had an MRI. Brain is 20 years older than it should be. Worst case though unlikely is early onset Alzheimers, maybe white matter disease, best case slowing of the decay and no further detrimental. Chances of improving unknown.
I'm eating fish oil like it's gone out of style.

My ambitions and motivation for anything have gone out the window. I'm on anti depressants now but have been sitting at home for the past month or so doing very little.

My biggest fear is losing my sanity, my wit, my cognitive grace. I know it's a foolish pride but I find myself guilty of it.

As words seem harder to grasp and sentences find themselves without meaning until a second or third read my soul fractures under the weight of the realisation.

I previously didn't fear death... and I'm still not quite sure I do. But the loss of my mind, the only instrument I hold some mastery over in this world of chaos... such a fear pierces me to my very being.

A part of me still wants to write something, I'm partial to sci fi, have a few ideas floating around. But I find myself struggling with a near nihilistic reality. I find respite in prayer though it seems little comfort in comparison to the monolith of the reality I face.

Carpe diem friends. One knows not what tomorrow holds. Death may not be your coup de grace, but the loss of your faculties is a far greater torture.

Fuck me if I know, I'm just a lowly swamp med student at the moment. 3 years in and we're only getting to real patients now, so nope.

Sucks to hear, user. However if you have been sitting at home for a month doing nothing, you might as well have used that time to write.
You can stop wasting time now and put it to good use. But I suppose depression makes that hard to do.

In the end you might wish you started writing those things earlier.

Btw losing my sanity/mental faculties is like my biggest nightmare. Not even dying ranks as high as that in my mind.
So I know what I would do. I would write the ever living fucking shit out of my stories instead of procrastinating, if I was living on borrowed time and knew it.

had a near death experience. Not much worth saying though. Almost died, but then I didn't. Didn't see any white lights or anything.

You may be right.

It's hard not falling for the despair and self pity maelstrom. I spend most of my time trying to sleep and procrastinating.

I have a big pile of books to digest on my shelf, I owe it to myself to at least read through them or try. Maybe I'll find the inspiration there.

I picked up Stephen Kings on writing recently. Heard decent things about it. Maybe there's something in there which can reignite the hope I need.

Most likely chlamydia or similar infections

And anyway, testicular cancer has the best survival rates (like 95 percent cured with non-metastatic disease iirc)

I nearly killed myself after ingesting a large dose of a lysergamide. Alongside a positively nightmarish psychedelic experience, I went into an intense fever, followed by a seizure that apparently lasted over an hour and my internal organs began to shut down. My life was saved by inducing an artificial coma via a massive dose of diazepam. For months afterwards I was haunted by the memories of the things I experienced. The actual hospitalisation was a blur, instead I had incredibly realistic flashbacks that attacked all the senses and at times placed me in an almost catatonic state. I can still conjure them if I think about it, and any form of psychedelic basically puts me back in the loop. My last trigger was a few months ago looking at some hindu art.

It took me a long time to get over it. I wouldn't say it affected my ambitions, as I was incredibly depressive both before and after, but it has given me a sense of perspective in life.

I'm a wizard though :o/