>i.imgur.com/IBs9KE8.jpg
General:
>i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg
>i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

metro.co.uk/2016/03/11/hide-your-pain-harold-from-all-those-famous-stock-photography-memes-has-been-found-and-hes-real-and-alive-5746303/
goodreads.com/new_releases/
greatsfandf.com/authors-lists.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Any fantasy stories with a cute kid being protected by the protagonist? (even if it's only temporary)
I want them parental feels.

Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and Gray Mouser is some comfy stuff. I've read two of these tales now; tonight, The Thieves House from 1943. Leiber combines comic book moments with genuinely tense scenes (Fafhrd in the dark cellar, feeling something small and hard brushing his cheek.) In this and the previous story I thought the swordfighting stood out - better than I can recall from the handful of Robert Howard's Conan stories I have read, because I could visualise the parries and lunges clearly. Leiber is set to above Howard in my estimation if the next few readings are of the same quality. But I will read something by Howard this week so I can put together a clearer idea on what distinguishes them, and see where Howard's writing beats Leiber and the reverse.

The Gunslinger

Have fun user

I hate Stephen King and am not a fan of anything more advanced than basic black powder in my fantasy novels..

I hoped you reached the scene in wich the MC lets the kid die on purpose.

You dodged a bullet right there.

Glad I didn't read it if that happens.
I want cutesy interactions.

I think some man on youtube is making his own audiobooks of Clarke Ashton Smith and Leiber stories, with atmospheric/ambient sound. They're really good. Look up 'tales of weird.' on youtube. It beats the heck out of any librivox recording I've encountered. Maybe someone can tell if they're homemade or not.

>Any fantasy stories with a cute kid being protected by the protagonist?
>not a fan of anything more advanced than basic black powder in my fantasy novels.

>give me anything
>I have specifics, don't give me that

Everything Leiber wrote is ridiculously of its time and published at just the right time to make least impact possible.

But at least Gaiman got to parasitically attach his name to yet another author after their death.

You're losing it user. This was clearly the time for your other repulsive dino meme. The one with the car and radio etc. If even you can't keep it straight then what's the point?

>being this autistic

Just about to start Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles, heard lots of good things about it

what does /sffg/ think of it?

What a ride. I didn't expect this series to go to the places it went but i ended up really liking it. There's this atmosphere of ambiguity that I don't often find in other books, as if there are things lurking underneath the lives of the main characters that we never get to see. It manages to make magic truly feel like magic, mysterious, untamable and uncontrollable.

I'm a little disappointed that so much time was given to Plum in the last book, she didn't really have a narrative purpose. Also, certain parts feel rushed like the whole thief-group should have had more time to interact. Overall it was great, but I have this feeling of editor interference in many parts.

Is Robin Hobb's series finally over now?

Just 4 u user

How did you like Mr Fox? Give a whole new meaning to guts deep huh?

>autistic whining: the move the video game the screenplay the rape

Woah cool meme guys! Haha so edgy

Did you read the books or no?

It's pretty decent. Not a lot of Fantasy to it though, or at all really.

I'm being post-ironic

Are there any books that showcase how violent and miserable war was in ancient times? That's something that's always bothered me about heroic fantasy. You lead your army or lay siege to a city/castle, but you never have to worry about disease decimating your forces or starving because the countryside is barren.

The thousand names series.
The black company series

Any books about
>A descent into madness, recognizing and embracing becoming a villain
>War crimes and child soldiers
>Mass destruction and the futility of resisting mankind's inherently violent nature
>Weird magic shit, maybe nanomachines
>science fiction, any type
>Philosophical ramblings
>and et cetera

And with prose that is good enough to not make me drop the book in frustration. I humbly beg for your help, /sffg/, I need recs to fill the void in my soul where this story was supposed to be. Any book that fulfills at least some of the above ideas and isn't written like shit.

I forgot to add to the list
>Massive conspiracies

>This is what happens when your raised on a strict diet of Obsidian and BioWare.

I don't understand

Tom Clancy has a very large library to choose from

>inb4 Crime and Punishment
But in all honesty it's is the exact opposite of most of your points and a better book because of it

That pic always makes me kind of sad, reminds me of the fact that the genre wasn't always shit.

Seriously who is this grandpa, and does he supply so much meme rich stock photos?

metro.co.uk/2016/03/11/hide-your-pain-harold-from-all-those-famous-stock-photography-memes-has-been-found-and-hes-real-and-alive-5746303/

It unironically seems to me that the book you're looking for is The Tunnel, by William H. Gass. If you choose to read it you're in for a flatulent good time user.

Does anyone have that page cataloging fantasy authors that circulated here a couple of threadd ago?

I'm up to Fires of Heaven (book 5 of 14) of the Wheel of Time series.

I hear shit gets boring for like 5 books. When does shit get real?

I love it, but the MC is as dull as dishwater; though I guess that's the point since we're experiencing the story through him and you don't want too much of him to get in the way of Arthur and Merlin and Lancelot, etc,. It's not really fantasy though. The "magic" in the books could all be considered coincidental or the magic is actually real and it's so subtle you're supposed to question if it's real or not.

>The_King_Beyond_the_Gate.jpg
Mah nigga

What books are people really looking forward to torrenting, getting a copy off overdrive and deDRMing or DDL'ing when they come out?

I'm going to get myself a copy of An Echo Of Things To Come, Raven Stratagem and Stone Sky for sure when they come out.

Has Rand gotten out of the box yet?

Glenn Cook's Black Company series deals with it, as do authors in the same vein as him, like Erikson (Malazan Book of the Fallen).

free him

>That's something that's always bothered me about heroic fantasy. You lead your army or lay siege to a city/castle, but you never have to worry about disease decimating your forces or starving because the countryside is barren.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? David Gemmell was the king of heroic fantasy and wrote the greatest fantasy siege story EVAH that deals with that shit.

It's book 8, 9 and 10 that are shitty.

The Will to Battle

I don't really know what's coming up though

bump for this cause im also wondering about it.

is there a best website for keeping track of when the new novel for each fantasy series you're into finally comes out?

I'm waiting on a dozen series but can't be arsed to pull all twelve from memory every month to see if any of them came out when the answer is normally "no"

If there isn't there should be and you should create it. Add a forum and help us get away from Veeky Forums for a while. Please.

Goodreads.

>essesseffgee forums
Would you use it? Y/N? Could be cool but why bother when we have /sffg/?

>why bother when we have /sffg/?
that's what im wondering.
just make a list of novels coming out in their series and put it in the OP.

Ok faggots this is how you do it.

Create a Goodreads account.
ONLY rate books by authors that you enjoy or it will give you retarded results. Then open up goodreads.com/new_releases/ and it will give you a list of shit that you want.

greatsfandf.com/authors-lists.php

Why is this good.

what does /sffg/ think of a song of ice and fire?

You tell me.

The pacing goes from 'fine enough' in the beginning to 'glacial' by the fourth book, the characterization is solid enough, the writing gets the job done and is only noticeable when it's exceptionally bad, which isn't too often thankfully. The plotting is the big thing. Early on it's compelling enough but then GRRM seems to get his plotlines out of sync leading to lots of POV chapters consisting of standing around waiting for plot to happen somewhere else so that things can move forwards again. I appreciate that lots of intricate plotlines are being constructed over the course of this enormous and lumbering mess of a series but the longer GRRM takes to write it and the longer the telling turns out to be the less worth it it feels.

At the moment I'd say that if you haven't already started, don't. Maybe when it's finished it will pull together into a worthwhile story but at the moment it feels like a painful waste of potential and a lost cause. Of what we have so far nothing hasn't been done before so you aren't really missing out.

Recently read some of BloodChild by Octavia Butler, I enjoyed it. For any anons familiar with her work are the rest of the books worthwhile?/ any simmilar authors/books?

>reading anything written by a cunt
lol

>Womameme author
lol

this is a very good analysis, thank you friend. But yes, I'm already in the end of the first book and have already bought the second one, and I'm liking it so far, it's also not in english, and the vocabulaire of my language is much wider, which probably makes it better. Again, I'm not a literature aficionado, so these things you said probably won't be so clear to me as it is to you. Now that I've bought the second one, I guess I'm in a point of no return.

>""""""lol""""""
It's okay, you don't need to be embarassed by the fact that you don't read at all.

Why in the world would I read books written by females?

>reading books written by ambulant meat holes
looks like you're begging for a pepe

>posting a meme popularised by underage redditshit retards
((You))

>""""""lol""""""
I can't remember the last time I read either!

>>posting a meme popularised by underage redditshit retards
>Pepe wasn't popular more than 7 years ago
look at this faggot

you could have just asked me for it mate

Are you retarded, slow or simply ESL?

Sure is cancer shit in here!

Yeah, not reading shit books written by shit authors means you don't read at all ;^)

>Smileys on an image board
KEK!

I have no clue, but can someone tell me what is the appeal of her books to males? I read the first trilogy, with the kid Fitz, and he is not likeable, everyone is either mindlessly helping him, a caricature of a villain, or just stands in the background to provide comedy or tragedy.
I don't get why people like it.

Literally how new are you

Because the prose is beiger than a fucking wallpaper.

Fucking kill yourself.

>Literally how new are you
Literally wet enough behind the ears to use literally in a post facebook cunt.

Because Fitz grows up and Nighteyes is the ultimate doggo bro.

>facebook
xD

XDD

It's a tad trite, but both of Joe Abercrombies series, "The First law" trilogy and sequels, and the Broken Sea Trilogy, deal very closely with deconstructing the heroic quest and humanising its players.

Have you got any experiance with that book/author or not?

>Maybe when it's finished it will pull together
Why are you lying to the fellow?

>fitz not likeable
That's simply your opinion. He's a bit annoying at times, but likeable imo.

>mindlessly helping fitz
Name one character who 'mindlessly' helps him.

>caricature of a villain
There are numerous villains in the books and they're reasonably nuanced, certainly not total caricatures.

>background characters provide comedy or tragedy
Such as?

>dont get why people like it
Why do people like anything?
They like the world, characters, setting, lore, adventure, action, emotions etc.

>"Simple peck-order bullying", she wrote in her essay "A World without Racism,"[30] "is only the beginning of the kind of hierarchical behavior that can lead to racism, sexism, ethnocentrism, classism, and all the other 'isms' that cause so much suffering in the world." Her stories, then, often replay humanity's domination of the weak by the strong as a type of parasitism.[29] These superior beings, whether aliens, vampires, superhuman, or a slave masters, find themselves defied by a protagonist who embodies difference, diversity, and change

Yeah, top tier author

>She claimed to have three loyal audiences: black readers, science-fiction fans, and feminists

Wow, how diverse

I have one rarer

>double leddit spacing

You could stick a dick in that mouth.

Says the proud black feminist

Sad!

People have different aesthetic tastes.
If you were an old fag like some of us then you'd know that both types of spacing have always been used.
I'd say that you probably joined somewhere after 2015.

>people have different aesthetics
More like people have different methods of damage control.

I didnt say she was a top tier one, only that I enjoyed one book of hers and was wondering if someone else who had read it could give recommendations either by her or others.

Her dodgy politics is why Im seeking out recommendations rather than just going full steam ahead. Its not a unique problem

you can either have an author who was at one point sexually aggressive or you can have an author who was a woman

>recommending edgy, edgy complete shite

Can you just go back to /b/? Or can I interest you in a new /bant/ maybe?

You bring nothing to this thread except le ebin meme, you post-irony factual piece of shit.
I'm not any of the anons you responded to, btw.

>I'm actually depressed, plz give me some (You)s XD

Fucking newfags

I am not either of the people you were accusing of leddit spacing.

>thread gets 30 bumps in a short amount of time
>oh cool maybe some interesting science-fiction or fantasy discussion is taking place
>almost exclusively back and forth over whether or not some shit nobody author is shit and whether or not user is from r****t
This place is still better than Goodreads, but barely.

That sounds reasonable enough. There's still enjoyment to be had. There are at least a few points in the upcoming books which still stick out in my mind since however long ago I read them.

GRRM isn't dead yet. Granted, the next two books would have to be incredible to compensate for Dance With Dragons but it's not impossible. Highly improbable I'll admit.

I enjoyed it. Why wouldn't I recommend something I enjoyed?