When is it acceptable to eat at a restaurant alone?

When is it acceptable to eat at a restaurant alone?

When is it creepy?

Please note: "it's always acceptable" or "it's never acceptable" are not real answers and are a sign you only go to one kind of restaurant under one set of circumstances. If you have no life experience, I invite you to lurk but not post. Thank you.

Restaurants serve food. If someone wants to eat there alone, why the fuck shouldn't they be able to? It's always acceptable.

Don't go alone to a strip club and eat dinner, no matter how famous they are for their tendies.

The only time I've ever thought a solo diner was creepy was at a local Chuck E. Cheese rip-off place where there was a lone creeper dude eating and watching the kids play. He definitely didn't have a kid because I asked and he said no but he just loves their pizza (bullshit, it was overpriced rubbish).

Name One (uno, un, en, yksi, ett, enksa, ichi) kind of restaurant where it's unacceptable to dine alone.

It's almost always acceptable, and waiters love single customers. Really easy to take care of/clean up after and usually leave a nice hearty tip.

I guess it would be weird to go alone to one of those restaurants that require you to have a coat jacket (do those even exist anymore?). But even then, depends on your mood. Sometimes you just want to dress up and treat yourself, get yourself some nice liquor and a steak.

Oh, I take back my previous answer. Going to Chunk E Cheese alone is completely unacceptable. Even going with your adult friends without any kids present in your party is unacceptable.

Literally always. Take your no single meme garbage back to /tv/ fag.

It IS always acceptable to eat alone in a restaurant. I rarely have to eat alone in restaurants, however, I've eaten in every kind of restaurant, from cafeterias to Michelin starred restaurants, and ive seen people eating alone in every one of those varieties. It's not a big deal in any way.

Maybe his kid died and he was trying to relive some memories.

Maybe he had kids but they died. I cry everytime

I don't like going alone to a sit-down restaurant where there's only one or two other tables occupied though

>When is it acceptable to eat at a restaurant alone?
Most acceptable when it's lunch, fairly acceptable other times too

>When is it creepy?
It depends completely on the person eating.

I typically have two tables and 12 chairs put together when I eat alone at a restaurant. Then I keep looking at my watch and tapping my finger on the table.

Do you also give them a good reason for the party?

>go to eat some dinner because im tired of being locked up all the time and my psychatrist says its a good idea
>arrive at the restaurant early, there are plenty of empty tables wich is good since i dont want anyone around me
>after 5 minutes waitress approaches me, i thought she was going to hand me the menu instead she informs me about the no singles policy and tells me i need to pair up
>i look at her nervously and prepare to leave the restaurant in shame
>instead she directs me to the only other table with a single person
>ok, this will be your pair for the evening, she has been sitting here alone for half an hour
>im not sure what o say, i look at the waitress, i look at the girl who is hiding her face with the menu and i look at the waitress again
>i sit and the waitress goes to sit a family that just walked in
>i try to introduce myself to her but she says nothing and burries her face into the menu further
>i order my meal and she quietly asks the waitress for a glass of wather
>halfway through my meal i can hear her sobbing into the menu
>finish my meal and the waitress hands me the check before i even say anything
>the girl gets up and runs out of the restaurant
>she didnt even touch her water

Poor girl got stood up on a date. :(

If it makes you feel any better, it was probably 100x more awkward for her than you.

Eating alone in a fancy restaurant on Valentine's Day. Not necessarily unacceptable, but a bit sad.

No way, I refuse to believe this happens.

Turns out that if you ask for a table for two and a bottle of champagne, they'll comp your dessert :)

There's a Vietnamese restaurant I go to for lunch alone sometimes and half of the restaurant is set up for 1-2 people; people eating alone is common.

>Big bowl of mild curry with 2 de-boned chicken thighs, a whole sweet potato cut in half, bowl of rice and a pot full of tea
>Comes in less than 5 minutes (as fast if not faster than most fast-food places during lunch)
>$2 more than fast food meal
>Tastes way better and is way healthier
>Go frequently enough that the owner knows me and will seat me first if its busy
>Gives me free appetizers from order fuckups every once in a while

If you can become a regular at a good place, it's comfy af.

Turns out when you buy expensive champagne that includes the price of dessert, they'll comp your dessert :) :3 :D
I love getting free stuff, don't you?

>When is it acceptable to eat at a restaurant alone?
Literally any time you're not an insecure beta.

The trick is to time it so they start feeling bad for you before they open the champagne so you don't have to pay for it.

Chuck E. Cheese actually had pretty good pizza, but i haven't had it in like 10 years.

wow.

it is acceptable.

At my previous job I had to travel a lot, and 3/4 times I ate alone.
It's a bit awkward at first, and you're constantly trying to look busy but it will fade.
You will relax and just do whatever you feel like.
looking around a bit, checking other people, talking with the waiter, read sth on your phone, do some thinking,...

after a while you'll see the difference between people eating alone that are feeling uncomfortable and those who not.

same as you're going to a bar with someone and they say they are going for a pee.
A lot of people immediately take out their phone and try and look busy.

>A lot of people immediately take out their phone and try and look busy.
I do that because it's rude to look at your phone during a conversation.

This sign is from a carnival ride.
You cannot ride alone because there needs to be an even weight distribution

Who do you think you are, the pedo police?

A fondue course-only place

carry a small notepad with you and it's always acceptable at even the most intimate settings. If you don't want to screw with the system then the answer is that it depends on the intimacy of the restaurant. It's acceptable to go to even a 3-star restaurant if the decor is open and well lit. And it's always acceptable to go for lunch unless it's a sunday brunch with again is expected to be a group activity

Perving on children is unrelated to dining alone, it'd still be creepy even if he had a partner perving with him.

theres nothing wrong with looking it isnt a crime

This post bothers me. I've always enjoyed Chuck E' Cheese pizza whenever I'm there with family.

I will love to drop by during lunch for a couple slices without coming off as a pedophile which I'm definitely not.

>When is it acceptable to eat at a restaurant alone
Any time of day where they're not lined up out the door and you're being an inconsiderate cunt taking up a table

>When is it creepy
Literally never unless you're an obese pizza-face in dirty clothes and poor body language, at which point you couldn't volunteer at a homeless shelter without being a creep

who cares if people think youre a pedophile theres nothing wrong with that unless you actually do something illegal

>t. pedo

not an argument

Chuck E. Cheese has a very strict policy. No adult is allowed in without a child.

If you're not bringing a kid there, you have no business there.

dont understand why youd go to chuck e cheese for loliwatching anyway theres plenty of places you could go where you wouldnt look suspicious if you wanted to

the only time I go out alone is if they have some little bar type area where I can eat, otherwise I'm not gonna sit at a 2 person table alone that would feel awkward, unless I'm in an empty japanese takeout restaurant.

I found the guy from the other post

/thread

The hard and fast rule is if there's a waiter, you can't be there alone.

The only exception to this rule is diners since they were originally created for lone trucker's to be able to eat quickly and leave. Otherwise, that's the go to rule.

In general if you pay for your food first then take a seat it's usually fine to eat alone there, but if you pay the bill at the end of the meal you really need someone with you unless you enjoy feeling awkward. Exceptions always exist of course, like the diners mentions.