I'm a normie. How can I introduce the narrative style of Dark Souls lore in my very own style?

I'm a normie. How can I introduce the narrative style of Dark Souls lore in my very own style?

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/technology/2015/mar/31/bloodborne-dark-souls-creator-hidetaka-miyazaki-interview
twitter.com/AnonBabble

They are ripping off and badly translating Edda type prose. Read a lot of that.

The narrative style of the Edda is not the same as Dark Souls.

OP, never give a coherent rundown on what happens in the past, just tidbits here and there, and namedrops by characters that are met and disregarded again.

You should, however, write a coherent rundown beforehand, only for yourself. Then take from that, when writing your actual work.

I recommend you to, if you haven't already, read the Silmarillion and then read The Lord of the Rings after that, and pay attention to how People refer to the events of the past three ages.

>You should, however, write a coherent rundown beforehand, only for yourself.
I already felt that this is necessary. It will make things a lot easier. But it becomes harder when you want to translate this logic story into that "lovecraftian mysticism".

I suppose for that you will have to develop a certain Intuition for how that mysticism works and feels.

I think it is interesting to point out how Miyazaki wrote the lore for Dark Souls: as a kid he read western fantasy books, that he could not completely understand. When the holes in the sentences were too big for him, he instead looked at the pictures of the book to Interpret the events, or, if that didn't help, he came up with his own explanations to fill the holes.

Don't. The narrative style of Dark Souls only works in a video game medium and either way is shit.

Not OP, but why is it shit? It takes advantage of the inherent strengths of its medium, rather than trying to imitating other audiovisual media like movie, as most other narrative games do. Sure, there might be better examples out there, and it also isn't the first one to do it like that, but it is definately one example of how to do it. And for a game that definately does not have the narrative as its focus, it does a good job utilizing it to incentivize exploration, enhance the uncertain atmosphere and generally pull you into the experience a bit more than if the narrative fragments were not there.
It also potentially raises interesting questions about reliable narrators in video games, but that is a whole different can of beans right now.

Do you just think it is shit because Dark Souls as a whole is overrated? Because just because something is overrated does not mean it is bad.

>I'm a normie
what did he mean by that?

>how Miyazaki wrote the lore
Any source?

I heard it first in the very recommendable Dark Souls review by Matthewmatosis.

theguardian.com/technology/2015/mar/31/bloodborne-dark-souls-creator-hidetaka-miyazaki-interview

I appreciate it.

>normie
>plays dark souls

Don't think you're a normie, maybe a masochist

A challenge is a challenge.

Dark Souls is pretty popular among normies. Also, it is not that hard.

if you think dark souls is hard after a few hours of getting used to the controls and physics you really suck at video games

Don't act like the "deepest lore" is some kind of hidden art piece. Coming form a long time souls player, the idea of creating a narrative by purposefully being vague is a crutch for an author that doesn't want to think much about the world he's writing.

bumpo

Did you read my post at all? I do not think Dark Souls is deep. I think that the way its lore is delivered is narratively advantageous to the medium of video game.
The narrative is not created by being vague. The narrative is delivered vaguely. That is a difference.

Be all obtuse and shit when writing. Write all your item descriptions at the back.

>obtuse and shit
kek

The key ingredient to Dark Soul's atmosphere and mystique is a sense of historical depth. It feels like something happened there, in a time long passed.

>“I get to meet a lot of other company presidents. They’re such weird people. I’m fascinated by them.” With a smile, he adds: “I use some of them as enemy characters in our games.”

Holy shit that's hilarious

He seems like a pretty cool guy.
I wonder how much of a hand he had in writing the story for Bloodborne, it was far more coherent than the Souls games and felt really solid and nice.

read some of Pound's Cantos. take that feeling of "what the fuck", brokenness and "collagery" from lack of comprehension and translate it into your writing.

A video game promoted by TJ Miller and the Indian from Silicon Valley is quintessential normie core

I was pissing around one day and actually wrote the first 500 words of a project like this, and pretty much have the whole world of it planned out.

It'd be called Golgotha and the fallen world would actually have advanced technology, but it would still be essentially fantasy.

>advanced technology
>still essentially fantasy
Don't want to discourage you, but that is rarely interesting enough while still being coherent unless you go balls to the wall with it.