Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations#Exceptions
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_polish_notation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Casio
lol there's a reason why colleges require you to use TI calculators

>le social construct meme
this isn't the board for you, sweetie

Physicist set implicit multiplication higher in precedence than explicit multiplication/division.
It makes writing stuff with fractions easier/cleaner like: f^(n)(0) = n!/2πi ∮f(z)/z^n dz
faster than than: f^(n)(0) = (n!/(2πi)) ∮f(z)/z^n dz or f^(n)(0) = n!/2/π/i * ∮f(z)/z^n dz

Fuck off shill.

the division sign is an abhorrent creation that should be removed from the face of the earth, any mention of it should be punishable with prison where they undertake mandatory fraction training

based casio

which one is right

It is nine. Not sure how the right is even coming up with one. Oh I see it is going parenthesis then right to left.

Neither one.

>Casio fx-991
are you a marauder?

I originally thought of it as one as well, but then I rewrote it as [math] (6(2+1))/(2)) [/math]

H-how did you know...?

it's actually parentheses and then thinking of the division sign as a fraction line so then you reduce the denominator first before dividing

left

They're both right.

This is why you don't write shit out like this or even give a fuck about people who do.

NO ONE. And I mean NO ONE uses DIVISION SIGNS in mathematics.

You're either dealing with ratios or fractions, never division signs. We're not in fifth grade here.

>Not sure how the right is even coming up with one
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations#Exceptions

It's one. Why the fuck would you divided 6 by 2 first?

How can mathematicians pretend to understand something as unfathomable as infinity yet ironically get stumped by a basic operator taught to toddlers?

Mathematicians honestly deserve to be executed in public by the state. What an honest to god waste of resources this experiment has been of keeping these brainlets alive and paying them to teach retard garbage. Without a doubt one of the dumbest and least productive philosophies.

Good pasta.

5/10

jews

2+1 = x
6/2x
3/x
3/(2+1) = 1
this is how i do it

That´s wrong tho

You´re calculating 6/(2(2+1)) not 6/2(2+1)

>(6/2)(1+2)
so its (6(2+1))/2
i like to think of division sign as a fraction which is the common way

Parenthesis first, then left to right for division and multiplication.

Both. It's ambiguous unless you follow some subjective meme that differs between every institution. Like left to right, or differing precedence (for convenience). It's basically a communication error/failure.

>ambiguous
But it isn't.

>left to right
>subjective meme

Basically, yeah.

its 6(2^-1)(2+1)

Now you're being pedantic.

lol

Implied multiplication having higher precedence makes the most sense to me.

If shown 2(2+1) = x and asked to expand then the expansion is (2+1)+(2+1). It's showing you that you have two sets of (2+1).
In my mind the most logical way of interpreting that is as a single statement, so if you put a division sign in front of it then you divide by the result of the entire statement.

If you otherwise put 2*(2+1) it feels like a separation of the two statements so you would rightly divide the 2 first before multiplying.

>Face it: Math is a social construct.
Of course it is.
But so is the distinction between a chair and a table.

>his phone doesn't realise that parentheses take precedence over division
>using division signs at all
and yes, maths is definitly a social construct, a useful one as well

left to right rule retard

6:2*3
3*3

multiplication and division have the same precedence so you do them in order from left to right.

therefore you first apply 6/2 then you multiply the result by 3.any other answer is from a brainlet who shouldn't have been allowed to graduate highschool like

>you shouldnt have been allowed to graduate highschool because you have an opinion on operator precedence that differs from the norm
What communist state do you think I live in?

There's a difference between having an opinion and working using that opinion knowing it will give you the "wrong" result.

That said, I think implied multiplication should be done at the same time as exponents.

infix notation is a social construct. And a bad one at that, requiring parentheses and operator precedence rules.

Postfix notation is primal, like God and HP intended.

We should remove math from science for science to flourish

They are both correct. The answer is ambiguous due to lack of extra parentheses.

Is that what reverse polish notation is?

No.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_polish_notation