How do I cook anything?

I don't know shit about cooking, and I'm gonna die before the age of 20 if I keep eating shitty hot pockets and ramen, because that's all I know how to make.

Something good and cheap that I can make, that doesn't require a phd in chemistry? Thanks in advance, anons. I really need the help.

Pic unrelated, by the way. Just the closest thing in my reaction folder to food.

Other urls found in this thread:

bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/25-skills-every-cook-should-know
youtube.com/user/foodwishes
youtube.com/user/LauraVitalesKitchen/videos
youtube.com/user/Maangchi
youtube.com/user/PailinsKitchen
youtube.com/user/cookingwithdog
youtube.com/user/JoyofBaking1
katcr.co/new/torrents-details.php?id=21424
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Buy a beginner cookbook (pic related highly recommended) or look for a beginner oriented cooking program like Good Eats with Alton Brown

>>reaction folder
kill yourself.

Just start looking up recipes for stuff you already know that you like. Instead of making instant ramen, look up how to make it from scratch. You probably don't want to make the broth from scratch but it would be okay to use a store-bought one that's low sodium. Add vegetables to it like cabbage, carrots, onion, mushroom. Add some hard-boiled eggs or chicken too.

forgot pic

Am I supposed to boil the eggs, then throw them into the uncooked soup? Or cook the soup, then put boiled eggs in? Also, I assume sliced?

Buy chicken breasts

put olive oil on it, salt and pepper
put in a frying pan over medium/high heat
cook for 10 minutes, flip after 5

Fucking easiest thing in the world

You can do either.
In Japan the two most common methods are either raw egg stirred in and it cooks in the hot soup (like egg drop soup) or the eggs are boiled in advance, cut in half, and then stuck into the soup. You could cut them in to whatever shapes you want.

sounds flavorless as fuck desu

If you get a good dark sear on it, it's pretty flavorful with just salt and pepper. But, I'd at least make a pan sauce to go with it. Just toss in some garlic and ginger, add a little stock or beer, deglaze, let it thicken a bit then add a pat of butter and squeeze of lemon.

>I'd at least make a pan sauce to go with it. Just toss in some garlic and ginger, add a little stock or beer, deglaze, let it thicken a bit then add a pat of butter and squeeze of lemon.
see that sounds fine but a plain chicken breast with just oil is still bland as fuck, even with s&p

Stop buying factory farmed chicken
Stop sucking at searing.

>Stop buying factory farmed chicken
organic is a scam
free range is a scam
fucking hippy pinko fag, you probably shop at whole foods

>organic is a scam
Yes.

>free range is a scam
No. That's the point. Truly free-ranged chicken is amazingly flavorful. I don't mean the shit that meets some silly legal technicality either.

>>whole foods
overpriced shit.

I'm not really sure why you're attacking me when all I am doing is pointing out a solution to the problem of flavorless chicken breast. If you want to read up on it, check out on Food And Cooking by McGee.

You're lazy. Nobody needs a phd in chemistry to cook. That's you making an excuse for yourself. Because this is 2017, world class cooks make videos and put them on youtube. The dishes they make range from very basic to advanced. They put up videos about skills and method. Anyone can learn this.

tl;dr lurk more. I take it you'll know what that means as you have a "reaction folder".

It really depends on how well it's seared. It's hard to get a good and dark sear on it in a pan in your house compared to if you were grilling. Doing it in a pan means the chicken keeps cooking in the liquid and protein that's come out but it starts burning, whereas with a grill it drips away. Plus you have smoke issues when doing it in a house compared to grilling outside. Not saying I would eat it that way forever but it can be pretty flavorful when done right.

tfw OP was a fucking toddler when you started posting on online autist forums.
time needs to slow the fuck down. i feel like im gonna wake up and be 40 and be late for my prostate exam.

>What is hyperbole

bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/25-skills-every-cook-should-know

Find some videos of simple recipes and copy them, there's an insane amount of information available for free now. If you're just starting out, you're probably going to need more heat, more salt and more oil than you expect for everything. If your food isn't cooking, turn the heat up and cook it longer. If it burns or the outside cooks too fast, turn the heat down. That sounds like I'm taking the piss, but I'm just trying to reassure you about common sense solutions when you're in trouble in front of the stove.

It depends on what you enjoy eating. If you want cheap and nutritious meals look for recipes that are heavy on grains, pasta, and beans that you can buy in dry bulk. Also remember frozen vegetables are cheaper than fresh, have the same nutrition, and are good in many applications except things like salad.

Here's some generally decent recipe channels to browse through:
^Chef John is the gold standard for how-to videos in terms of explanation, humor, and production. His manner of speaking annoys some people and a few of his esoteric recipes call for expensive and rare ingredients you'll probably never see IRL but it's mostly just really approachable everyday meals.

youtube.com/user/LauraVitalesKitchen/videos
^Laura is the thinking man's Rachael Ray, which is to say she takes weeknight mom meals to their elevated conclusion.

isn't a bad recommendation either

youtube.com/user/Maangchi
youtube.com/user/PailinsKitchen
youtube.com/user/cookingwithdog
These are all great channels for Korean, Thai, & Japanese cuisine respectively if that's your preference.

youtube.com/user/JoyofBaking1
If you want to learn to bake things this is one of the best channels out there

I also STRONGLY recommend looking up episode of America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country on YT (current season episodes on their website). As part of Cook's Illustrated Magazine that's only funded by subscriptions they go through hundreds of dollars of ingredients and weeks of trial-and-error testing on recipes to brute-force the best version.

If you have a favorite meal that you like and want the best version of it then download the latest edition of their compilation recipe book here (which I've been seeding for months) and chances are the definitive reliable copy is there:
katcr.co/new/torrents-details.php?id=21424

>buy meat
>season it
>put it in a glass dish or metal sheet pan
>put it in a hot oven till it's cooked
Wa la
>hard mode
>buy veg
>chop em, oil em, season em
>put in glass dish or sheet pan with the meat
You now have a whole pan full of roasted meat and veg. Make some rice on the stove and throw a few spoonfulls on your plate next to the meat and veg. Bada bing

Listen to this user. Just work up a good knowledge of recipes for foods you like. There's no shame in following a recipe to a T, because doing so usually results in good stuff. Remember to enjoy yourself while cooking, it's a relaxing creative pastime.

Before posting this thread, did you even once try to look up a recipe for anything?

>2001-2017
>Chris Kimball not on cover

ATK bitter as fuck.

You know I've watched a few episodes of Milk Street and it's alright. I'm surprised they went through with production/broadcasting with the on-going lawsuit. It is a pretty blatant copycat in production/methods but I don't understand why CI wouldn't have let him start a third series since the cuisine showcased therein doesn't even compete against ATK/C'sC. Kimball is still an elitist slave-driving stick-in--the-mud on camera though.

>How do I cook anything?