Do you make your grits watery or milky...

Do you make your grits watery or milky? I make them milky and they're fantastic but I go to old hole in the wall places with old guys and they all use water. What's the deal?

I use milk for most grits.

On the rare occasion I have grits that don't suck, like when the Anson Mills order gets in, then I use water so I can actually taste the corn.

They're also good made with stock.

I just went to this local place and it's just basic grits with a very watery flavor. On top of that they use melted butter and it's just a golden shitfest.

Sounds shitty.

Is it bad if I use polenta to make grits? Seems like there isn't much of a difference, but I don't know, I've never had white grits before.

I make my grits with water and just a splash of whole milk. That coupled with the butter I cook into them is just enough creaminess imo. The only other thing grits really need is a few heaping teaspoons of black pepper and maybe some cheddar cheese.

The only real difference is that polenta is usually made with yellow corn and grits usually made with white corn. Yellow corn is very sweet compared to white, so white corn lends itself better to grits as a savory dish. Not really a big deal though, it's a matter of preference.

You tell us. Are you unhappy with the flavor?

White and yellow grits taste the same. The difference is purely cultural. In the US south the white grits were considered the proper food to serve in a high-class setting; yellow grits were slave food. I prefer the yellow; I think the color is more appealing.

I've also had blue corn grits. The flavor was god-tier, but the color was a bit strange.

The fuck are you talking about? Grits of either color are poor folk food, they cost the same. And they do taste different.
>t. Georgia boi

>The fuck are you talking about?
I've seen multiple different cooking programs with Southern cooks who explained that it was culturally "Impolite" to serve yellow grits. Sean Brock was one (Mind of Chef); I can't recall who the other was.

I never said they cost anything different.

Grits/polenta/pap is Tribal African farmer food, Italians and Americans aren't even human desu

Is there one thing in the world, just one, that you don't try to fit into a skewed and warped /pol/tard framework? You are one sad fuck.

>northeast fag
>make perfect grits
>every single time I've had grits in the south it was flavorless, watery garbage
I find southerners like to constantly flaunt their cuisine but 99% of them can't cook it for shit

went to america and tried grits, tastes like shit.

Not everyone can digest milk, so probably better to make it with water for public consumption.

You being able to eat milky grits is just white privilege.

Cool, thanks for the update

I had this spicy shrimp and grits dish in the ATL, best grits I've ever had.

>made from a plant native to North America and domesticated by Mexicans
>Tribal Africa farmer food
Really makes me think.

Shrimp and Grits is amazing

Pappa's Seafood in Houston makes my favorite

This is somewhat true. Lot of shitty cooks in the South, but the good ones are damn good.

Grits are a southern food. I live in the northeast. Never had grits in my life, and I honetly don't feel like I am missing out.

You've probably had polenta, which is the superior version of grits.

You are missing out. It's comfort food, a terrific breakfast, and can be used as a base for other dishes, it can be soufflé, it can be casseroled, it can be just a bowl of warm goodness on a cold day. You are definitely missing out.

I've had a lot of grits but never had polenta. I doubt it's that much better but I'll check it out sometime.

dude relax...

not bad I guess but you're not making grits. The cornmeal for polenta is much more finely ground than for grits, so the texture will be different. More importantly, grits are made from hominy, which is corn that's been treated with alkali so that it's easier to grind and has a better flavor and nutritional value. You're making a completely different dish.

good. and stay up there you blue state, yankee faggot

Grits are amazing, but no one makes them here
t. Canadian

You can't even make it yourself, it's terrible.

t. Salty neo-nazi confederate fifteen year old edgelord

Go back to /pol/

Kek, what a cuck. I'll bet you switched to watching NASCAR because your orange emperor proclaimed it patriotic.

Are you guys memeing? Wtf is grits? Is this like that fingerbox meme?

I mix them with cooked eggwhites and american cheese