Drop-Out thread

Drop-outs and failures wanted, please provide some experience about

>your field
>why you dropped out
>what happened since
>would you recommend dropping out to anyone?

Dropped out of art school where I "studied" cinema. I dropped out because I'm extremely autistic, strongly disliked the group atmosphere of filmmaking, and would often go weeks without speaking to anybody, leaving my room only to shit and buy food. Since then I've been living with my parents and working part-time as a warehouse laborer. I've also published one (1x) short story in a mediocre zine that absolutely nobody reads, including the people who are published in its pages.

I would NOT recommend dropping out if you are semi-competent human being who is able to work and achieve things.

It took me like 12 years to earn a B.S. in a field i've never worked in.

I dropped because of mental breakdown
It kind off changed me forever and now I don't know who I am or where am I supposed to do
I would reccomend droping out if you are not in something you like or will give you money

Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning

Couldn't stand my excruciatingly boring, technical courses. Couldn't stand being in my local tech school, possibly the ugliest arrangement of buildings and landscape I'd ever seen, as if right before designing the campus the architect had been awestruck by a minimum security prison and a textile factory in equal measure. The whole place was a wash of yellowy beige and brown. The students were even uglier. I remember deciding to figure out how many of the other men in my sheet metal class were wearing cargo shorts. 70%. I come from a severely poor background, and I understood these men would go on to do the work that maintains the infrastructure of society, I simply hate being around these fucking rednecks cracking gay jokes and making Family Guy references and assuming I would find their insights into with black culture just fascinating (I'm black). I only got into trades for the cash. I couldn't give a fuck about being wealthy, I just want to make sure my mom is completely set and comfortable if/when she's too old to work. But after I told her that, she said I'd be a total fool to base my life around that and if I don't pursue something I enjoy, I'll hate my life. Still conflicted. "follow ur dreams" seems like convenient hedonist meme.

On the plus side, classes were cheap enough that financial aid paid for most it and I accrued zero debt, so all I wasted was my time and energy :^)

Gentle reminder that the black female-white male pairing is more successful than any other sexual relationship

>Anthropology
Dropped out after one year
>Nursing
Dropped out after three years

Now a beekeeper, and I earn more than I would had I been successful. So it turned out ok. Those years of my life sucked so much though

>Still conflicted. "follow ur dreams" seems like convenient hedonist meme.
I know that feel
I'mI don't even know if I have dreams anymore, or if I ever had

I failed to make any friends. I had to attend university in a foreign country, so the solitude literally made me lose my mind. I started smoking for some reason, I would eat pancakes for dinner, and get black-out drunk two days in a row and go to church on Sunday. I had to drop out.

>your field
Computer Science, I'm on year 6 (three credits left)
>why you dropped out
Didn't drop out, just failed a lot (currently on Year 6). I'm stupid at math, also lazy.
Oh god yes. If I had known it would have been like this, I would've at least taken a gap year or something before my will to life evaporated.

Follow your dreams when you're old enough to understand what dreams are.

Most 18-24 year olds are just following somebody else' dream.

Is that the typical "when you are older you realize all you want is a family and a house"?
Already went throught that phase

No. Probably most people don't want that.

most 18 year olds think, "Hey that guy is an actor and he's rich and famous so I want that too," then waste 20 years pursuing it.

Following YOUR dream is about following your dream. You probably don't fucking know what your dream is at 18 because you don't even have you figured out yet. At that stage just get a shitty job and worry about getting your dick sucked, that's going to be more than enough challenge for you.

Urban planning
Depression and anxiety over my dissertation, I felt completely out of depth even though I know own I could have done it. I made a complete fool of myself in front of the entire faculty to the point where I was too ashamed to even put my face in the door
I applied for one graduate position in a different city where they knew one of the staff, they told me it was a good interview and I can fake first impressions with faux confidence. Never heard a single word after, even after emailing the recruiter. I can only imagine they heard what a disaster I am. I'm now working in a call centre about $60,000 in debt, feeling like an utter loser, I try to speak as little as possible to everyone these days. I will probably have no friends in 5 years time
Just kill yourself now desu

I'm considering switching my major to Urban planning, would you recommend it? any advice?

Sure, it's interesting and has practical applications. Im still fascinated with the theory, allows you to indulge in social science. I fucked my opportunities but it's only gonna get more important as a career as the urban grows and becomes more complex

awesome thanks user

go to college. if youre black you will have a huge advantage getting in and get financial aid. then you can actually pursue a career.

>>your field
Astrophysics
>>why you dropped out
BTFO by a pretty spectacular depression spiral
>>what happened since
life kinda just stuck in place. was worse before getting on antidepressants and CBT though so there is improvement, if painfully slow
>>would you recommend dropping out to anyone?
If you decide it really isn't what you want to do or it negatively impacts your health to a significant degree etc sure. But it's not so much a case of recommending it as saying it is an option?

>Nursing
>Dropped out after three years
What made you leave? Asking as someone who just finished my first semester.

>I made a complete fool of myself in front of the entire faculty to the point where I was too ashamed to even put my face in the door
Just curious about this, what happened?

>your field
Computer Sciences
>why you dropped out
Basically a very rapidly dminishing interest in the subject and everything related to it, and the subsequential depression of feeling like a failure. I had to move to a different city to go to college(this is not America so is not that common), felt very lonely, barely had any friends, and the more depressed i got, the more i isolated myself from everyone. I didn´t study and spent most of the time reading literature. After failing a course a second time, which means, having to drop out and start again, i tried to commit suicide but i failed at that too, what a joke.
>what happened since
My parents got pretty pissed and made me enroll in a different career inmediately. Now i´m majoring in Psychology (not because of the "i want to cure myself" meme, i´m geniunely interested). I don´t have to go to classes because i´m studying online (which was the only option) so i have a lot of free time.
If you really don´t like what you are studiyng, do it. What is terrible is the feeling of being a failure that comes with dropping out, of seeing everyone ahead of you.
But i´d really recommend spending all the time you have in sorting out what you want to do with your life. As a teenager, it´s difficult to take things seriously, but one must make the effort or ruin its life.

I don't think there are any "original" dreams senpai
Everyone follows the path of someone else, usually trying to top them or something

are you the guy who was in the infinte jest stream last night

going mental is quite an experience isnt it
i didn't even realize when I started being scared of drinking tap water, or feeling like i had proven the existence of god by some pseudo-math thing and then getting paranoid at the "fact" that there is actually something thats everywhere and its watching you, i literally got out of my house trying to scape

im 19 and hate my life and my field and want to drop out but my gpa is really bad (like 2.5), and i feel like itd be easier to just finish now than try to get back in later

lol just drop out nignog

i only have three semesters left of my degree and apparently the classes after this have less calculus, which is what is really fucking me. i dont know what to do man

I didn't know black people could read

Curious about how you became a beekeeper. How'd you go about it? Is it something you're passionate about? Does the big money depend on where you live or the amount of hives you own?

are you the guy who called people who are neets that are unhappy brainwashed by capitalists idiots or something like that one time?
do you write poems about bees?

I'm feeling like I'm just dropping as well man. I want to stop being a burden on my family and just go join the military so that I can pay for the rest of my schooling afterwards. I'm not sure what to do.

i went throught that phase too
i felt like i was so much of a mess and worthless that the army was the only thing that could set my ass straight
thank god my family didn't let me do it
seek help nignog
then dont dropout nignog

>your field
Nursing
>why you dropped out
I couldn't stand the class and subject. Literally had no passion for the field, but was pressured into taking it by my parents who thought anything health related was the only career option.
>what happened since
Interned at tech company and started a career in IT. Now im a systems administrator making more than my nursing friends.
Yes! If you're not passionate about a subject you'll be miserable in the workforce. It is scary but it was a huge relief to be finally rid of something I didn't want to do.

I'll try user, I think at this point trying is the only thing I can do. If I stop trying, I can only see death as the option. There's no point in being a leech to society.

>biology
>lack of focus, also money
>joined the navy after a few years of fucking about
>Eh, probably not

dude, you don't owe ANYTHING to society, you didn't ask to be born in this world

>your field
English
>why you dropped out
I found out that I lack the speed to write longs papers. I was also lazy. On the other hand, I got mostly asshole professors or professors who smooched you into some program or another. Oh, and family losing a job and other problems just compounded my disgust and desire to leave.
>what happened since
Got a job that is equally as miserable, but at least I'm getting paid to be miserable. Trying a different major at a different pace, while trying to improve my writing skills.
Yes, yes, and yes! the liberal arts today is not even like liberal arts ten years ago. If you love the humanities, do yourself a favor and find an alternative. You'll save your happiness and money if you do so.

I wouldn't drop out from the sound of what your saying. Being 19 and only three semesters from a college degree is amazing even by today's standards.

In the future though, if the alumni group ask for support, personally tell them for all the admins and faculty to fuck themselves.

>your field
Computer engineering
>why
A depression episode that hit pretty hard. Got on meds since then.
>what happened since
I got a job as a conductor for a railroad, couldn't handle the lifestyle and quit, got a few other shitty jobs and got fired from them because I turned to booze to cope with how shitty they were. Presently, I'm neet.
>would you recommend dropping out
fuck no

>>your field
>Computer engineering
>>why
>A depression episode that hit pretty hard.
I'm at this stage.

Get therapy, maybe meds, change majors, don't drop out.

>your field
Philosophy

>why you dropped out
Sat alone every lecture. Realized it wouldn't lead to a job and that dropping out would save me money. It wasn't a great university so a lot of people were there to kill time.

>what happened since
I've spent the last five years living as a NEET in the house my mother shares with her partner writing my manifesto slash suicide letter. The title is "The Case Against Life" and it is currently 245,000 words long. I've told my mother that I will be ending my life within the next couple of years and now she's at ease with the idea and tells me to do whatever I think is right. The irony of remaining alive to write a lengthy suicide letter isn't lost on me, but it is what it is.

Consider why you took the course, and whether or not your instincts insist that you stick it out. Instincts are very important.

>your field
Level 4 Electrician, highest you can get in tradeschool. Its just under a Bachelor Electrical Engineering so i gues you can call it Associate Degree.

>why you dropped out
I hate electrician work and following a 3 years course is a waste of time when doing 3 years apprenticeship is mutch more usefull. I actually did have a good company to work in wich did solar panels and a amazing crew. But dropped it after getting my 3rd level master (master on paper) electrician degree because i wanted to move to australia to my boyfriend. Dont want to do any electrician work tho even if i know the most simple shit.

>what happened since
Moved in with my boyfriend in australia, no work yet cause havent looked for anything yet. But happy as fuck tho.

If you arnt doing full apprenticeship and want to stay at level 1 to 3 then quit or try to get full apprenticeship. If you dont want to be an electrican but want to be a drawer or calculator then finnish level 4. If there is anyone here who studies mathemetics and wants work, ask electrician companys.

I know this thread is for big boys who've been to uni and technical colleges but whatever
I stopped attending high school in the second half of my last year, completely crippled by depression and OCD - maybe that came as a relief, though. I still graduated, since I had a medical exemption, though obviously I wasn't able to get a tertiary admission score. The year after that I thought about applying for a nursing course at TAFE but was talked out of it by a friend, for reasons that elude me now.
Now I'm still not doing anything. I've been reading more and trying to write. I have a referral for a psych where I'm living now sitting in my drawer, but I've been avoiding making an appointment. I'm an incredibly avoidant person.

Are you gay?

Also congrats

dropped out of high school because of anxiety and depression and bipolar and ADHD and personality disorder

got GED and went to the United States for university.

expected things would be different in the U. S. because it's the best country in the world (meme intended)

same shitty life as in my home country. realized its me that's broken, not my home country, not the United States, or the world

dropped out after 1 semester. didn't go back. no regrets.

suicide attempt shortly after getting back home. gulped down a bottle of sleeping pills. wake up after an hour or two, excruciating headache. vomit. still here.

now im making 1/2 of monthly minimum wage doing odd translation jobs

submitted a novel i've been writing since high school to publishers, rejections

I'm rewriting it in English and i'll publish it through Book Baby and CreateSpace. (fuck gatekeepers seriously fuck those swines. the dredges that (both figuratively and literally) rape aspiring artists and make young people suck their cocks. seriously they need to go) if it takes off well i finally add some value to the world. if it doesn't i'm leaving for good

Considering dropping out. 22yo philosophy student, still have 1 1/2 years, probably 2 left until my B.A. degree. Wasted a lot of time. There's nothing wait for me afterwards, no job prospects or anything of the sorts, which makes going to Uni and doing the necessary work even simpler. Feels totally pointless and I want to die 5-7 times a week

I'm 23 and just about to start college.

I feel like I'm already fucked no matter what degree I'll get.

Law Student. Was going to drop out but then everyone I know reminded me that I'm a fucking spaz who would have no hope of succeeding in any kind of physical work so now I'm just riding it out and borderline passing everything and wanting to die.

If you have a practical alternative to what you hate take it. I'm only sticking around because I have literally no other ideas on where to go. If I last the next year and a half I can at least say that I tried.

I followed my dreams, studied something my parents disagreed with (political science), did my Master of Arts and now I got a job in a German state department. Everything worked out as intended.

Sure I was lucky but I followed the hedonist meme and it worked out. You most certainly dropped out of something because it wasn't genuinely what you really wanted to do. But that's a false approach. If you are only in it for the money you won't be happy anyways.

Only 2% of people who swallow pills die. It's one of the least effective suicide methods.

Are you German?

>political science
>beamter
Could you be more boring?

>Literature
Go to /r9k/, fucking losers

Not even him but fuck off

I would fucking kill to get a position in a somewhat interesting degree.

Instead I'll just be an average paperpusher for the rest of my life.

Don't watch Strozsek

Did the first two years of Computer Science while working as DBA
Got average of 72%
Just got bored by the whole IT thing especially DBA side of it
Did some security anti fraud stuff very interesting and well paid Most of the people who work in that area are incompetent police want to bes
Was much happier just living day to day doing went I felt like when I woke up
Do I regret dropping out
of course not
IT is just too much stress how many people who work in It actually really have a life of there own ?

How the fuck do you become a beekeeper? Its always seemed to me like a dream job where you have to know someone to get into the beekeeping fraternity

I dropped ou of art academy because i didnt learn shit, everything was vague and my health was shit.
Nothing happened since except my approach to art changed.
No i cant recommend it.

Yes, given that I should mention that we Germans are not under the same pressure as people from a country with high university fees. If I had to worry about debt, I would have learned a trade.
I see that you and I have different conceptions of what is exciting and what is boring. But that's unimportant. I'm doing what I set out to do and it's quite comfy. Plus it's a fairly safe job market.

>"follow ur dreams" seems like convenient hedonist meme.
you need to project your true self subconsciously and consciously because the world might need you and people like you some day

please talk about bees. i want to be a beekeeper/botanist

We in Germany are much more boxed-in though, much more administered, we have fewer options and our country doesn't have a soul anymore

I'd rather have debt and the will to live than the other way around

Electrical engineering
Haven't dropped out yet, but I want to and change my career completely. Only reason I'm staying is because I'm so close to graduation. Engineers are glorified corporate paper pushers. The job is mind numbingly boring. We don't create or innovate anything, we just sit in a bureaucratic shitstorm until a deadline comes. All of my coworker and classmates all have the "Hey, at least I'm getting paid for this!" attitude, I was the same for a while. Now I can't stand the job, and I resent the greed of the industry.

are classes good? what about facility? i always wondered about that in regards to european countries with free education. in the US state schools (cheap tuition, closest thing to european universities in the US) are usually well-maintained and classes are good but students need to pay a few thousand dollars per semester still

Do Germans read books? In 2016, 55% of American adults passed the year without reading any literary entertainment (fiction, poetry, etc.) I heard the situation is better in Europe.

Yeah, it feels like history has already run its course here and you are just a spectator in an empty stadium waiting for something to happen.

I think the problem is really some sort of defeatist passivism and the lack of a national vision. Everything is equal and matters the same. Nothing has an inherent value anymore. The Americans still dream their American Dream even if it has been pronounced dead again and again.

Sometimes a war or a harsh economic crisis seem to me like something we need to rejuvenate our culture. At least necessity breeds action and forces you to take a position in life.

Education in Germany is generally very good. Universities really employ strict curriculae but there is a trend towards more and more leniency when it comes to grading papers imho.

Most important research is not done by universities but through external or freely associated institutes like Max Planck or Leibniz-Gemeinschaft which employ university professors. These institutes have most of the money.

Hardly anybody reads and if they read it's Harry Potter, Twilight or some other shit.

This is the r9k thread, right?
I've become content with my solitary existence, although I feel pangs of potent narcissism and resentment now and then. Perhaps I am repressing my true feelings as an emotional need, but I feel as though I can no longer care about the direction and low velocity of my life, or the outcomes of my actions.
What's a nice book for this feeling?

the book of disquiet

wait do you mean books to alleviate your feelings?

do most germans speak as good english as yours?

not alleviate, perhaps confront or examine

I'm not a drop-out, but I'm an unemployed graduate - good enough to post here?

Dropped out of high school, got my GED, failed out of community college, started over, and just graduated with a BS in Biochemistry that I realized too late I didn't even want. Jelly of my friend who figured out how bullshit STEM was his first semester and became a mechanic.

Varies, 50:50 I'd say. You'll always find people who understand and speak it but it's usually just rudimentary school English.

Personally speaking, I'm some sort of internet loon, so I 've been over-exposed to English. It's not perfect though.

Is this true?

I thought engineers did everything but tedious paperwork.

what are you going to do now u nerd

I've been there. Shit's terrible. Took me half a year to get a job.

Germans do read, but mostly pop-lit or some 21st century non-fiction about how to organize your life or another shitty combination of buddhist and corporate philosophy
Literature is almost dead here

I agree, but even more than that, I think that Germany's energy has always come from a search of identity that is inherent to this country, it's just that the course it has put us on now has slowed us down to a halt and now Germany is just wasting away as a neutral legal space with some corporations, which seems to be what large parts of the population have identitied as our destiny for the time being. Afterwards, I doubt there'll be enough vigor left (maybe there won't be enough germans left) for another big rejunevation, and even then, it won't happen during our youth.

I'm already at 1 year unemployed and I'm getting desperate and impatient

>Germans do read, but mostly pop-lit or some 21st century non-fiction about how to organize your life or another shitty combination of buddhist and corporate philosophy
Sounds like typical sheeple in any developed country.

Hat ein mittelmäßiger Bachelor in Philosophie und Geschichte irgendeinen Wert?

Dude, go to McDonald's and flip burgers while continuing your job search.

Würde sagen nein. Mit Geschichte und Philosophie kann man höchstens Dozent werden. Das heißt aber Master drauf und dann Doktor. Aber vielleicht nimmt dich wer, der einfach Akademiker oder Geisteswissenschaftler sucht. Hab mal ein Jobangebot als Systemtester für 35.000 im Jahr bekommen.

Verstehe. Klingt aber zumindest noch besser als ganz ohne Abschluss. Das Angebot als Systemtester hast du bekommen, ohne da irgendwas vorweisen zu können, außer deinen Abschluss?

Funny thing is that my parents prevent me from accepting a regular job because I went to an elite university (which costed that a lot) and they don't want to be shamed by having a son working at the local McDonald's after spending so much money on that degree

>parents literally keeping your from getting a job

sounds like a dream to me

then why does it feel like a nightmare?

I studied biochemistry at a top 10 university because that's what the smart kids were doing. It turns out I don't really like the subject

I didn't drop out but i made no good friends and almost killed myself a couple times. i took a gap year halfway through and graduated with a mediocre gpa

now i'm working a menial job and applying to medical schools at my parents' demand. i don't think i could stick with it for more than a year, but at the same time i can't find a good job and i really need to move away from my parents

if you're thinking of dropping out do it as soon as possible.

Never dropped out but I wish I had. Then I could go back later when I'd figured out what I wanted to do, instead of finishing a shitty worthless English degree and becoming all but blocked off from college loans.

>beekeeper
Thats pretty cool user

They cut queen bees wings so that they can't get away with their swarms. They are just evil exploiters.

an ivy? what major?

history and philosophy at oxford

Would you recommend law school? How is it?

>your field
Electrical Engineering
>why you dropped out
Gave up and got kicked out
>what happened since
Switched to the Arts Faculty and have been just been in school wasting away the time for the past year
Yes, if you can support yourself. The lack of pressure from school is fantastic but the anxiety about the future can be worse in return.

>mathematics
>failed Multivariable Calculus three times, failed Differential Forms. I came back recently (but I'm an old 25 y/o now) but I'm just taking general topology.

what does that even mean you pseud, you aint shit bruh

it really takes a really unique kind of autism/mania to succed at high level math
Do you use any stimulant drugs?

i dunno how it works in the UK but here ivy liberal arts majors do an internship for a few months then land 6-figure jobs in finance in Wall Street.

I might be forced to drop out soon.

Any tips for dealing with the social aspects - going back to live with parents, telling close friends, dropping out of contact with people I know at university?