>full health benefits
>366 yearly vacation days
>fuck all the Asian interns in front of the math nerds
>they all just watch
Mathlets, when will they learn?

dem right

>D1 school
Beat me, I fell for the study CS meme

I loved the first two years with the rigorous math and physics courses. By the time junior year came around and I realized engineering is actually just modelling in MATLAB and doing retarded projects, I was too invested. I hate my fucking life. Thank God I have 1 more year to go.

Everything is a fucking meme nowadays. Nothing is Safe.

t. EE

What kind of engineering are you all doing?

I don't know if mechanical is the right one anymore.

I'm in mechanical first year and want to kill myself daily. I should've studied my forte which is languages but decided to do it as a hobby and instead opted for studying "maths and science" since it interested me. "Hey, being an engineer and able to craft shit on your own doesn't sound like a bad idea!" I said. And boy I was wrong. I don't know if it's me or my school is absolutely retarded, but we're never asked to think about anything, we're not taught to understand, we're taught to memorize like a fucking monkey. This is the part that frustrates me the most. I have to go on fucking Youtube to understand the inner forces of a beam, watch one fucking video of someone actually explaining the reasoning behind those forces, and I understand. Meanwhile the professor is showing us how to get some formula using integrals and we haven't even studied them yet. I teach myself maths in my free time because I want to understand why the fuck something is the way it is, instead of memorizing like a brainless monkey. The teacher throws around y's, f(x)'s and d/dx's however she feels like, used y and f(x) entirely up to a point where she randomly without an explanation switches to d/dx. We're like "the fuck is this shit"? Most students don't even know a derivative is simply a slope, might as well be trying to read Chinese.

Are your schools like this or did I pick a shitty one?

You're supposed to know and understand the calculus behind the forces in that beam you brainlet

I was about to until I saw that Engineering was boring and hard. I don't mind hard if it's fun to chug through, but it wasn't. Switched to Business and into supply chain management. 60K starting.

Supposed to know and understand without it being previously explained? Were you born with knowledge? That's sick man.

Mechanical is worth it, you get out what you put into it. So start making shit and get people involved.

Marine engineering ain't bad.
>learn all the theory of mechanical in class
>do shit like firefighting and first aid
>sail around the world or coastal
>deal with complicated machinery
>you and three other guys are responsible for a massive engine plant that constantly has shit hit the fan

If you don't want an office/corporate type engineering job then I'd recommend this. You do have to be out months at a time though.

i realized i don't like engineering way too late
should've studied chemistry

Mate, I went to Oxford of all places, this is half of my lectures you just described. Their goal is not to make you understand how forces and other stuff originate, they want you to be able to recognise a bunch of standard problems at a finger snap.

second year EE here
what's so bad?

im sure as hell i fell for the physicists meme

I used to be a subsea engineer and fucking hated the oil industry but got to work on some neat stuff. But it was mostly frustration.
>Oil industry is shit because Saudi's decide to act like jews
>Company downsizes so I'm the only engineer that goes in the field
>No steady rotation, constantly gone
>Everyone is penny pinching and wants more with less in a shorter amount of time
>Everything is constantly going wrong as a result because everyone involved is cutting corners
>Subsea assets going to shit because people are corner cutting and putting cheap components on their trees and SDUs
>One client is so cheap/incompetent that they're skimping on o-rings and flow toluene through a line with their cheap o-rings and it literally turns the o-rings into glue with the hot stab half way into the intervention receptacle during a pre-flow test
>Have to design a ""mechanically driven override tool"" in situ with unpainted steel and all thread to smash the stab into the device
>Another client has an out of revision field layout schematic and keeps fucking up the valve cycles during a hydrate remediation job and undoing a weeks worth of work, every week for 3 weeks straight and refuses to accept that his drawings are wrong
>He literally wants us to bleed a live, oil producing line to ambient to "check if it's flowing, just close it really fast when oil starts to come out"
>Remotely operated vehicles constantly fucking up because management wont buy necessary spares
>Just the tip of the iceberg of retardation, with literally hundreds of thousands of dollars per day being spent
I quit because I got fed up and I'm working on my masters in aerospace now. I can't wait to design guidance systems that will go into UAVs or missiles to get back at those arabs.

Do those cargo ships have onboard machining equipment? What do you end up doing exactly?

yeah I did mech, wish I did eng physics instead. Didn't learn enough programming, didn't learn enough actual mechanical or industrial shit, it was too broad.

Lrn2meme fgt pls

>366 yearly vacation days
Uh what

youd be facing the same direction dumbass

>Most students don't even know a derivative is simply a slope, might as well be trying to read Chinese.
Such is life as a college/AMK/yrkeshögskola/"insert name for glorified technical college here" student.

>Are your schools like this or did I pick a shitty one?
You picked a shitty one. If you or your mates don´t understand what basic calculus notation entails, or that integrating/derivating is commonplace in all somewhat useful physics past the elementary school level, you are not studying mechanical engineering, but rather a trade dressed up as a "technical" field.

>Supposed to know and understand without it being previously explained?
It is all explained in gymnasium/high school or whatever the equivalent school is in your country. Taking the easy route through a vocational school and then expecting to make it through a demanding university/college-level engineering curriculum is foolishness at its worst.

Im in 2nd year too, Im mostly worried about the stagnant growth in this field.

>Their goal is not to make you understand how forces and other stuff originate
They have a very limited amount of time to explain a large spectrum of difficult problems, often (in the case of mechanics) involving non-linear relationships characterised by differential equations. It is up to you to study and understand the course material; a lecture is simply an introduction to a subject, aimed at sparking your interest to study it at home outside of office hours.

If you want the lecturer to respect the learning pace of the dullest person in the room, you´re better off in a vocational college or trade school.

Engineering is about applying maths not understanding it.
Tell me more about your time at Oxford engineering im curious. Did you do much practial work? were the students nice? was the workload too much?
t. applied as a kid but didn't get a place

What is it with engineers and cheap O-rings?

*Ahem*

Same here. I hate my major. I hate my life because of it. I even became fat because of it. It sucks so much energy out of me. The curriculum simply is hell.
The worst part is, you have to write a protocol every goddamn week about 15+ sites. On a shitty experiment nobody cares about. Then you also have to send in excercises in every fucking subject every week. Fuck this shit, the theoretical courses sucks ass. I don't give a fuck if I can describe simple problems with a shitton of complicated math when I can solve it with intuitive easier formulas.

The last 3 years into physics made me hate myself and my life. But it's too late to drop out now. Can at least pull it through to get my paper with my degree on.

Trust me guys, even if you're interested in physics, don't actually go into physics. Go into engineering or some other shit.

>mfw studying quantum optics and having local. centres of excellence trying to head hunt me weekly

feels good falling for the physics meme

Hahaha holy shit now I know how the retards in our class feel. I wonder how you did in your PDE class brainleto

Currently falling for this meme
Redpill: Alot of people don't use their degrees as anything other than a "not dumb" stamp when they find work they really like. If you're in STEM your "not dumb" stamp will beat other people's.

Cool mate, tell me about your curriculum and what university you go to. Maybe I should change. Germany here by the way. If you're american, don't talk with your shitty education system.

Charles University, its pretty tough, but Ive learned to handle the daily ass rape. Look up the curriculum online.

>Trust me guys, even if you're interested in physics, don't actually go into physics. Go into engineering or some other shit.
I'm in engineering and I feel the same, I wish I did biochemistry or CS.

Me, sort of. Fell for the computer engineering meme, found out that VLSI is interesting but unrewarding and the other brainlet classes in processor design and stuff are for autisms only. So I added EE major (for signal processing/info theory), minor in math, and take a lot of CS classes and it's all good now desu. Plenty of math and theory mixed with applications and programming, all of it is interesting and cool and I'll actually get to use some of it when I graduate. Feels good

Yeah I guess engineering isn't really that much better. The thing I've learned up until now is, that being interested in something doesn't qualify you the slightes to study it at a university. Stduying a major in university has nothing to do with your interest in that field. It is completely different.

Yeah well, good for you. I'm an average guy and I actually don't wanna solve math and physics problem nearly 24/7 to get through. I still wanna have a life besides studying.
If someone has fun getting assraped 24/7 and having nearly no private life, sure, go for it. But for an average with interest in physics it's not worth it. You're just gonna get depressed. That's how it went for me and is still going.

Get a science education, and an engineering work. That's the best combination.

Ive had similar experience during heavy semesters, shitty teachers and sometimes even worse labs (and yeah thank god Im done with those, protocols leeching my soul every week almost done me in) but after all of that I still enjoy the courseload and understand my place in the grand scheme of things. Last semester was particularly interesting. I really enjoy the field and hope to keep working in it

you mean a double degree? The best bet is probably CS+ anything.

Yes, this applies to everything I guess, I'm a mathfag and the whole intuition part makes you feel good, but when you really start to learn something the formalism route just breaks your ass, it's not only how hard the material gets but realizing why intuition is not enough, and how sometimes it's just plain wrong, of course it's different with every major, but it makes me think we are all closer to eachother than we think, leaning something the right way means you know 2 things, whatever you study and you also know how to learn, from this on, a good engineer can become a good mathematician or physicist a lot faster, and also the other way around, it's not really a difference of majors like a lot of people say, its about those willing to put the effort into learning and those that do not, let's just try to be good at what we do

>I don't give a fuck if I can describe simple problems with a shitton of complicated math when I can solve it with intuitive easier formulas.
Example?

>teach me to think!
Put one thought in front of the other and them repeat as necessary.....

Are you actually saying you haven't taken any calculus yet?

sucks ass being EE and loving what you're learning in your engineering classes but getting your ass handed to you by basic kinematics and vector calculus, literally want to die :/

how did you not take calc 3, much less mechanics in the first 2 years?

switched majors my first year from comp sci which didn't require kinematics or thermo. so i ended up taking it last semester. im a second year btw so i started precalc my first year and having been taking math back to back until im done, i still have differential equations and some elective math class

>Engineering is about applying maths not understanding it.
I just threw up in my mouth a little.

it's true
when I learnt Laplace transforms in calc 3 the prof didn't bother to explain how the equation was derived, just went into examples of how to use it
I have literally never had to prove anything in my entire engineering course

How the fuck are you in even an engineering class without taking calculus?

kek

thats the joke newfag

>pic related
Fell for the EE meme, stayed for the RF, comm and high frequency courses.

Communications is where it's at. In addition to cool tech, there's an infinite pool of cool math you can learn to get better at it.

>tfw everyone else is taking shit like calculus while i'm taking prerequisite math courses like college algebra and trig

>be industrial & systems engineering major
>get to do classes from mechanical, electrical, and software engineering
>using engineering to do a broad range of shit from robotics to product manufacturing to human machine design
>Decent mix between some semi social sciences as well, such as economics and psychology

Pretty good for me desu. It's like taking the breadth and wide range of skills a mechanical engineer has and then adding it to other fields. Best of both, I say.

its ok user me too.

most first years learn basic calculus in their first year along with all the basic concepts in their field

the issue is that you need calculus to even learn the basic concepts so the first year is generally just poorly thought out and nonsense to most people

The bls doesn't really accurately portray job growth. For instance is says computer programming jobs are in decline yet software developer and "engineers" are seeing job growth. Lots of the software jobs are just overglorified programming jobs, and don't let any CS fag tell you otherwise.

EE can work in many different subfields like controls engineering, systems engineering, power distribution engineering, biomedical engineering, industrial engineering, so forth.

>I realized engineering is actually just modelling in MATLAB and doing retarded projects,
ya basically but if you care enough you can get a decent job and save up and/or transition directly into a masters in whatever interests you

Circuit analysis exam in a week and understanding that pic feels pretty nice

My sides

All pools are infinitely deep if you only ever submerge to your ankle.

Environmental engineering reporting in. How fucked am I?

Electrical Engineering major here. If I can land an internship before I graduate, I can probably land a decent job. Yay for living in metro Detroit where auto suppliers grow on trees.

Side-interest is electronic music equipment. Feels good being able to understand/design my own guitar shit.

Fell for the meme. Hated myself for it in Calc III and intro circuit analysis but now that I'm out of the weeders and in upper-levels where the end goal is actually learning stuff, it feels pretty alright.

Bruh calc 3 is easy tho

I had a terrible time in calc 3, the derivations of what you're doing are pretty high level

>Laplace transforms
Isn't that Diff Eq, in my calc book we don't really go over it

Mechanical engineer here, it is worth it.
t. I make 70k a year and I only graduated 2 years ago.

i dunno my uni structures math funny
we had calc 1, calc 2 and linear algebra, which leads into what is called "engineering math" which is the final purely math subject that you have to study as an engineer

we learnt vector calc, sequences and series, sketching phase portraits, laplace transforms, fourier transforms and second order PDEs all in 11 weeks. It was pretty brutal for a brainlet such as myself

>EE's create the symbol i to denote the imaginary unit
>immediately backtrack on it, and change it to j.

I'm hoping you're right, I'm thinking of whether I should take more physics/maths classes, or EE courses in my upper year.

>tfw made a C on your kinematics exam but it's still above class average
It's a terrible feel

Yes they usually have stuff like a lathe, drill press, welding bench to build new parts and repair tools. It's an 8-5 workday and each engineer has their own daily/weekly tasks. For example, a 3rd engineer takes care of the sewage plant and diesel generators while the 2nd takes care of oil purifiers and fuel tank heating. One guy each day is rotated as the "duty engineer" and answers all alarms (temps, pressures, tank levels, something breaking etc) and does rounds in the engine room to check on machinery, but it's a 24 hour rotation (all overtime!) so if you get an alarm at night your room's alarm sounds and you're responsible to go down and fix the problem.

This is genuinely one of the funniest posts that I’ve ever seen

because it would get confusing with current

You realize you can't work as an engineer without a BS in engineering plus an FE and PE license?

Mechanical is boring as fuck. Chemical and Materials are the most fun in my opinion if you're not too hot for math but if math had a dick you would be willing to suck then you'd like Engineering Physics or Electrical Engineering. Nuclear Engineering is also great for its private sector.
If you do Mechanical Engineering, you're basically doing remedial applied mathematics with a minor in drawing.

It is for Differential Equations. The Laplace Transform is a type of integral, if you will, so it reduces the order of ordinary differential equations.

A simple Introductory Mechanics exercise has this problem where people will try to work out a ball's traveled distance from a stand when it is cut from a swinging pendulum using kinematics instead of the energy approach.

Not him, but we don't learn calculus at school in my country.

what about BS in math then Masters in Engineering?

I'm in EE, but MechE always seemed to be really interesting since I liked thermo a lot in chem1.

>Hated myself for it in Calc III and intro circuit analysis but now that I'm out of the weeders and in upper-levels where the end goal is actually learning stuff, it feels pretty alright
Felt exactly the same. Though I liked calc III.

>plus an FE and PE license
Wrong. Most engineers aren't licenced. Also it's hardly worth the meager pay increase when the test is 8 fucking hours.

AFAIK Lagrangian mechanics isn't taught in introductory mechanics maybe that's why they have you using convoluted kinematics

HmmmmMmmMm
That sure doI s g t th nog