Convince me to finish this. The Grand Inquisitor scene was underwhelming. Zosima's pretty based...

Convince me to finish this. The Grand Inquisitor scene was underwhelming. Zosima's pretty based. I am at the part where Dmitri is trying to get cash from an old lady but she wants him to get into gold mining.

If you stick it out until near the end, you get to meet Satan read about the trial.

You picked the wrong translation, bud. That's the one I read and boy was it awkward. Good story though. Just stop being a pussy and finish it, you already read most of it. The ending is pretty good. And a bit of a tear jerker.

If you thought the Grand Inquisitor was underwhelming, then you didnt understand it. Finish it. Ivan has so many good chapters, and like another user said, the end is fantastic and a tear jerker.

Ivan was probably my favorite character arc. It was an absolute joy to read his chapters, particularly GI and his nightmare. Also found his fate to be, for whatever reason, more depressing than Dmitri's, even though I pity Dmitri far more.

Please pick up an Ignat Avsey translation. They are dirt cheap on Amazon and other places. I was gifted a P&V and compared a few pages and it was just dogshit. Also the GI is pretty thick, might take a reread or two before you start to appreciate it.

I read the Garnett translation of this book over the winter and I loved it. I've heard after the fact that her Dosto translations are trash. Is it worth re-reading a newer version?

If you don't like it you can fuck off

I've read Garnett's, P&V, McDuff, and MacAndrew and i can tell you, Garnett skipped alot in TBK, i'd recommend you read MacAndrew translation, its modern and fairly close to P&V (since P&V translation seems to be the "go-to" these days)

Don't. You're already past the best part (starets)
Last 150 pages are spent in court and it's really tedious + sentimental ending

I bet you couldn't finish it even if you wanted to

You started it.

>Convince me to finish this
If you don't finish it how do you expect to get an A?

>The ending is pretty good. And a bit of a tear jerker.
Not gonna lie. Rarely happens to me but it did then.

>Dmitri is trying to get cash from an old lady but she wants him to get into gold mining.
If you are not enjoying this something is wrong.

This, you're too undisciplined.

I've read the Garnett translation, does it really miss that much? I really enjoyed it, and from what I've read the opinions on which translation is best vary so much that I hardly feel like you could dub one the best.

This. That was one of the parts that really allowed me to appreciate the chaotic, yet determined mind of Dmitri. The other Dmitri part I loved is his worship for Grushenka, actually makes me feel something when I read it.

The Garrett translation is so cozy desu.

it's required reading so just do it

> I am at the part where Dmitri is trying to get cash from an old lady but she wants him to get into gold mining.
that part is fucking hilarious, how are you not enjoying it already?

With me too. Now and then I think about Alyosha. What a great character. I found the GI a little bit overwhelming too.

OP. I don't know man, why should anyone convince anyone to read one of the most well criticized books of all time. Maybe you're just a pleb.

Ivan's scene with the Devil is one of my favorite scenes in literature. just finish it out. Dmitri's final passionate rampage is also amazing.

the scene where Ivan talks to the devil is really unsettling. It's been over a year since I read the book and I dont think I will ever forget about that part.

>convince me to finish one of the greatest novels of all time

maybe you should stick to netflix