Are sci fi books that bad

Hello faggots

I'm in college and havent read a book since the 8th grade. I wanted to start reading this month, how bad are sci fi books?

Varies wildly depending on the author. Any you were curious about in particular?

In your case the Veeky Forums sticky is actually useful.

I have a bunch of shitty sci fi books that I bought and never read

Heres the main ones
>Edgar Rice Boroughs - Princess mars series or something
>Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy series
>Drew Karpshyn Star wars books
>Isaac Asimov short stories, Prelude to foundation

oh nice thanks user
for some reason i was under the impression that sci fi books are probably always terribly written, is this wrong?

>are probably always terribly written
I am of the opinion that publishers (mostly white women as per a major survey a few years ago) throw shit on the wall and let the neckbeards slurp it up.

That said I think stuff like Stanislaw Lem and Ishiguro is legitimately literary, and Crichton's earlier works, and Dick and Gibson and Herbert are putting out such unique stuff that they should be praised.

Burroughs is ok, very old-fashioned swashbuckling adventure sort of stuff. Hitchhiker's leans heavily on Monty Python-esque nonsequitur comedy, some have called it "reddit". I've got no real knowledge of Karpshyn aside from hearing he wrote the Sith characters well. Asimov loves writing stories as logic/problem-solving puzzles, often with some sort of mystery plot.

Also, it's generally a better idea to ask /sffg/ about this sort of thing rather than make a new thread.

>I'm in college and havent read a book since the 8th grade
I hope to God that you're talking about SciFi books, and not books in general.

and user, I'm going to be an English major
(it allows me to move countries)

I don't hate reading, I just never do it
I like audiobooks but I don't think it counts

Thanks user, I'll check it out.
I'll probably start with an easier one and then go to Burroughs if he's difficult
I'm not sure how good my reading stamina is

ugh gross npr
also that list is shit

do you have any other lists user

list has been around for like 7 years, and OP is completely new to reading. Also, you have added nothing.

This is a pretty good recent sci-fi. The sequel are even better.

user is there a genre of sci fi thats a bunch of aliens

anything that looks like the star wars cantina scene gets me hard
and ty

>I'm in college and havent read a book since the 8th grade

And its the science fiction stories that are bad, not this functional illiterate motherfucker.

I was thinking about how often do people read

almost no one I know reads, I think my situation is pretty common

also if you waste your time reading dumb shit like sci-fi, how much of a benefit is reading at that point

ever think about that user, can u even read what im typing u big dumb idiot

Check out Ringworld by Larry Niven. There's no cantina scene, but it it a pretty cool exploration of an alien world.

Sci-fi books are gr8. It's a genre teeming with wild, insane ideas. Fantasy is something to stay clear from 90% of the time, though.

>NPR
Into the trash it goes.

If you are new to books you need to start with the fucking greeks.

Most sci-fi books are bad. Just bad. I think if you ever read a good book you will understand easily what makes most sci-fi bad.

There is some good sci-fi though, but not much. Unless you are delusional and care more about escapism rather than quality storytelling then I suggest you avoid most sci-fi you see at the bookstores and thrift shops and do your best to study which is the absolutely best of the best of the genre.

Thanks user, I'm interested in other books but I've been on a sci fi kick for awhile for some reason

Here is a short list:
>Lord of the Rings
>Silmarillion
>Book of the New Sun
>Moon is a Harsh Mistress
>Starships Troopers
>Lord of Light
>Canticle for Leibowitz
>The High Crusade
>Dune
>Diamond Age
>Seed to Harvest
>Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath
>Eifelheim
>Summa Elvetica
>Slaughterhouse Five
>American Gods
>1984
>Brave New World
>Diaspora
>The Hobbit
>Perelandra
>Rendezvous With Rama
>Foundation
>Fahfrd and the Grey Mouser
>Conan the Barbarian
>Earthsea

I can't believe I forgot Ringworld

i guess this

and this

I personally highly recommend the Hyperion books by Dan Simmons. Very high quality. Also Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. And Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. Way of Kings is big, but very eventful and not at all boring. Indimidating, but fantastic.

Meant to reply here oopsie have another list, probably from the scifi threads

thanks so much fellas

im gonna read tonight and this thread is 10x better than i thought it was gonna be

Doesn't everyone read internet articles and things like that though, even if they've not cracked an actual book in years?

I was under the impression the "Big Three" were ABC (Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke).

I'm just stating what I like. I know people on lit will disagree with me on Sanderson, but I picked up Hyperion off of here and very much liked it.

I can say that I enjoy Bradbury and he's really easy to read so if you're looking for something good and easy start there.

The book of the new sun is real literature, blindsight is an alright modern book that should be easy but engaging for someone that hasn't read much in a while. The commonwealth saga is also an option, it's flawed but it has a lot of heart and it gripped me when I was younger.

no its asimov heinlein clarke. bradbury is a great author but he didnt do what the big 3 did for sci fi.