Convince me not to get into astronomy

convince me not to get into astronomy

seriously what are the negatives in majoring in astronomy? are there any? is it just glorified math and physics or is there actual difference

It's for people who FUCKING LOVE SCIENCE but don't want to do any math.

>seriously what are the negatives in majoring in astronomy

It's what all the brainlets do.
It's full of fedoras and big bang theory fans.
Your research will be data monkeying.

well i dont really fucking care about science i just want a job that can land me a position on a rocket to mars

you know the whole "build a rocket with enough careers that can sustain a whole colony" type of thing

That would be me

>i just want a job
>astronomy major

Ha! Good one buddy.

I mean, it's just too fucking that you are underage. This shoukd give you a ban.

relax man i was just joking

Very competitive for few tenured spots and shit pay. Just major in something else and do astronomy in the side for fun.

Why would an astronomer be going to mars?

I'd say your best bet is to major in a standard physics program and if you still want to do astronomy after that, specialize in it in grad school.

>i

If you can't capitalize your I's, you're not going to be on the list to Mars.

In many ways its just a unique title given to experimentalists who study the cosmos with cosmology and astrophysics as its respective theoretical field.

be prepared to either do a lot of numerical simulation or data analysis. If your field ends up being analysis, you will spend the majority of your time writting demand for time on telescope.

there is no "astronomy" only astrophysics

Isnt that like a subset of physics? Like what AI is to compsci?

why would an astronomer be required to go to field research on another celestial body?

TAKE PHYSICS FOR FUCCS SAKE
ASTRONOMY AS A MAJOR IS A MEME

>convince me not to get into astronomy
Astronomy is just a poor man's astrology.

Um, there's no way that's true.

As a profession, it's very difficult to get a job. There are so many phds in astronomy that only a few percent of *doctorates* will get astronomy-related positions. Typically, they get budget-minding positions at science agencies or companies because they know math. Think you'll get to use a big scope? Not likely, and mostly it'll be imagery sent to you vie e-mail.

Get a real degree, if you're going to college. If you want to have a better chance of actually seeing through a scope, become a technician and learn how to build/fix real scopes. Then you'll go into the field and get to play with the toys. If not, there are all sorts of engineering jobs.

Lol no, it’s chad thundercock the fighter pilot, war hero of the second Korean War, or Stacy who has 4 master and 2 thesis and worked at an Antarctic base while you were at your graduation party who are going to mars (at least in the first several decades), you will just stay in an underfunded lab (sorry, all the money went to manned spaceflight) , getting the data from the telescope they put there at a ridiculously low bandwidth, and you will try to fill reports to them but they will be drowned between those of more funded labs and school kids who send messages to their heroes.

Astronomy is a glorified vocabulary class. Unless you are doing theory work, your time is mostly going to be spent looking at noisy data and spouting the Black-Science-Man propaganda of "SPACE IS SO COOL BECAUSE STAR STUFF".

If you really want to become an Astrophysicist
Major in Physics & Minor in Math, then get a PhD in Astrophysics.

Do not major in Astronomy as Undergrad.

Astronomy BSc is a Meme degree that will probably make you unemployed or working in another field.

and endless rent seeking from the government because there is nothing in the ENTIRE FIELD that has any practical value to people

>Astronomy is for people who FUCKING LOVE SCIENCE but don't want to do any math.
*BIOLOGY