What books should every English major undergrad have read?

What books should every English major undergrad have read?

Bible
Ulysses
Sound and the fury
Canterbury tales
Beowulf
Scarlet letter/Moby dick
The cantos

>Ulysses

even professors dont know wtf is going on it it

>Upper Bumfuck Nowhere Community College

Stanford actually

As an English major, does one take advanced grammar courses or is it all focused on the writing/social studies aspect ?

I think the only two books people absolutely need to read at some point are the Bible and Metamorphoses. I don't want to say the Iliad or Odyssey even though they're incredible poems, but they don't have the same scope of cultural allusions you might find in the Bible or Metamorphoses.

undergrads dont study the bible

The bible is so poorly written it's honestly only worth reading for the laughs

Entry level finance. You are going to be poor so you better not waste the little you get. Learn about the benefits of home ownership, the traps like points, etc. Read a book or two on standard home making, cooking, etc.

Super Book is my favorite anime too, but we are talking about books for grown ups here, user.

thats finnegans wake, ulysses is a diffiuclt read but not that difficult

are you talking about the Kafka story?

Naw, he means the poem by Ovid.

wowww a bunch of old white men... ummm racist and sexist much?

that makes more sense:D

im a non-binary gender queer

Pfft I did an English minor and the path of Ulysses was laid out on a poster throughout the faculty.

You've got stupid profs

omg i am sooooo sorry! pls forgive me pls ill do anything you want anything at all pls i am so sorry pls dont hate me im sorry im not a bigot i promise pls forgive me im sorry

I suppose as a foundation:

>Classic Faggotry
Pagan Mythology (e.g. Metamorphoses)
Aeschylus / Sophocles / Euripides
Homer
The Bible

>Meme Faggotry
Divine Comedy
Bhagavad Gita
Koran
Don Quixote

>English Faggory
Beowulf
Canterbury Tales
Shakespeare
Paradise Lost
Blake / Wordsworth / Coleridge/ Shelley / Keats / Byron
Woolf
Joyce
Eliot
Yeats

The Bible definitely, or at least some introduction to theology, but the Koran and Bhagavad Gita? I don't know where you're from but I guarantee in an anglo uni those are glossed over

>Beowulf
See this one mentioned a lot. What is its overall literary/cultural significance?

The reading lists for all of my literature classes included nothing but pedantic novels by Literally-Who-Authors, their subject matter typically concerning how white people are racist, or how men are pigs, et cetera, and really just served as springboards for my professors to lecture us about political activism. We read nothing classically or canonically "important," nothing new and innovative, and nothing that couldn't be reduced to easily digestible talking points.

The only exception was a Shakespeare elective taught by this seventy-year-old autistic British guy. He demanded an in-depth discussion every time the class met, was hypercritical of any arguments not supported by the text, and actually expected the students to read and analyze the text like academics. He was a godsend after years of classes where we just did kindergarten-tier "activities" all semester.

The Quran. it will mean the difference between life and death in 20 years time.

It was written a long time ago.

Literally none

Had a bible as lit class last semester. One of the best classes I've ever taken. Sorry your shitty school didn't have it.

>liberal arts

Why did you post an outdated farming equipment stealing a book?!

lel

"how to be poor"

only clever racism is allowed here, please return to reddit

post clever racism

Depends whether you study English Lit or English Language famalam

first column to english literature.

The path of Ulysses? Or the path of Leopold Bloom?

LB

run straight

>retard spotted

M-Muh glorious nordic ancestors can write epic poetry too you know...