Any amateur scientists here i.e not in university? I'm investigating the Coanda Effect

Any amateur scientists here i.e not in university? I'm investigating the Coanda Effect.

Other urls found in this thread:

bulletin.incas.ro/files/constantin_olivotto_v2no4_full.pdf
the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/17940/title/Amateur-Scientists-Making-Significant-Discoveries-While-Fighting-To-Receive-Recognition-And-Respect/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Am I really the only one? Wow. May as well rename this place /col/ - College then. Even /g/ has a few neckbeard tinkerers.

Maybe you'd be interested in
bulletin.incas.ro/files/constantin_olivotto_v2no4_full.pdf
I took a course in fluidic logic back in college. Channels drilled through little plastic blocks serve as AND, OR, and NOT gates. Snap them together to form adders, clock circuits, etc.
Insanely slow compared to electronics, but immune to radiation.

Fluid enters at A and exits at E. A brief puff into C will flip the flow over to D. Analogous to the way a triode uses a weak current to control a strong one. So we have an amplifier.
Even after the flow into C cuts off, the main stream will remain in D because the Coanda effect makes the fluid stick to the wall.

Now imagine diverting part of the flow from D back into B. There'll be a time-delay and then the steam will switch back to E. If E supplies C, then it'll keep flip-flopping. We have an oscillator.

>amateur scientists

Wow this is really cool, maybe they could use these concepts on Venus rovers? Thanks user.
The Coanda home research that I'm doing is to do with aerodynamic lift.
What's wrong with amateurs? Not everything has to be serious.

Yeah I have a youtube channel.
Search Cody'sLab

timestamp

Most people interested in science go to uni because they want to do science at the cutting edge, not be some wanker amateurs thinken bout relativity n shiet in their suicide flats. Uni life is pretty much the only choice then--especially if your field is dependent on high end lab equipment, but even when it's something entirely theoretical you want to dedicate so much time to it you may as well go to uni. tinkering with some electronics may very well pass as a hobby--but again any cutting edge electronics will happen at universities and industrial research labs...

>What's wrong with amateurs? Not everything has to be serious.

a lot of people take umbrage with repeating old experiments to "investigate" a century-old phenomena and calling it science. some people define science (perhaps too narrowly) as a means of investigating things that are who currently unknown or unexplored

>What's wrong with amateurs? Not everything has to be serious.

Paid vs. amateur is not a good metric for seriousness.

the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/17940/title/Amateur-Scientists-Making-Significant-Discoveries-While-Fighting-To-Receive-Recognition-And-Respect/

This is a great point: amateurs can participate (and succeed!) in scientific pursuit, but oftentimes just repeat what's already known and call it science.

Case in point: nobody would call a hillbilly in a trailer making meth a scientist, much like nobody would call a baker a scientist for converting raw ingredients into bread.

Nice, I have thought of setting up a YT channel, I see a lot of views, how much money do you make?
Some people aren't cut out for university. I prefer to learn things on my own at a slow pace, call me retarded I don't care. Anyway it depends what you do, Biology and astronomy and mathematics still has plenty of opportunities for amateurs, we're not all free energy kooks.
You're right I can't possibly advance the field of aerodynamics from my room, I'm just building something so I'm more of an amateur engineer.

Hilbillies in trailers make new forms of meth all the time, it's big business because the new version is automatically legal due to not being on the law books. Is it science? Debatable, but it's new.

That guy is in uni still though.

>Biology and astronomy
lolno
>mathematics
slightly more likely but even then not really, the cutting edge of math gets fucking deep man, you have to dedicate your life to it and getting in touch with other research mathematicians (you can do that by getting into uni) is important

Those people are idiots, replicability is a core part of science, sure you're insanely unlikely to break new ground but there's nothing that somehow makes it not science.

>Case in point: ... nobody...
disproof by counterexample: I would if they used the scientific method.

Nah, but I do have a top-of-the-line florescence microscope and an old electron microscope a guy I know stole from work 2 decades ago.

>lolno
If you take a trip to the Amazon and discover a new plant species, or point your backyard telescope at an unknown comet why is your contribution worth less than an academic in a multimillion dollar lab finding a new particle? It's just snobbery.
>the cutting edge of math gets fucking deep man
You don't have to be on the cutting edge. Prove some number that nobody cares about is irrational.

oh so you wanted to be a stamp collector not a scientist sure go ahead
what numbers did you have in mind?

right side: incoming liquid jet on a 2mm steel pin.

Jane's plant she found could cure a form of cancer. John's particle he found could......
>what numbers did you have in mind?
Already proved irrational but I've always wanted to find an infinite series that summed to e^π, I've never seen any.

My bad there is one, the n-ball volume sum

>Jane's plant she found could cure a form of cancer.
real wishful thinking there bud

>be physicist
>make totally unfalsifiable claims about the nature of the universe
>invent all kinds untestable wankery when your models don't work
>never do actual experiments or collect data, as outlined in the scientific method
>spend all day doing baseless philosophical bullshit
>call other fields unscientific on an anonymous anime image board
The absolute state of physics.

OP here I'm not publishing my work, gonna apply for patents if everything goes to plan.