tfw just took my diffeq midterm

> tfw just took my diffeq midterm
> tfw professor is a retard and let me use a ti-89 (which has a de solve function)
> finish exam in 10 minutes
> scribble random jibberish in between the question and final answer so it looks like I had work
> just check grades
> got 100/100

>american education

Linear algebra and differential equations at useless in the real world though lmao I just had an interview for a mechanical engineering internship and the guy I was talking to today told me it's a bullshit class and he has never once used a differential equation in 20 years of working

what sort of shit tier uni do you attend where they let you use calculators on exams

>learning only things you will use on your job

Not how the world works

Linear algebra is used plenty in computer science and electrical engineering. How do you think graphics work or like anything that has to deal with systems of equations? Computers can't even deal with that shit without linear algebra. It's one of the reason it exists.

Linalg filters out the brainlets. DEs are not as useful considering that everybody will use a computer solver

My class only spent a few classes solving the actual problems. It was all about setting up systems that a computer could process most efficiently.

what sort of shit tier uni do you attend where they have classes on differential equations

> math classes that actually allow you to use calculators

lmao what the fuck

what sort of shit tier uni do you attend where calculators would even be helpful on an exam

>engineering is the only application of any math
engineering major is honestly a sign of a poor childhood

It's gonna be really obvious when grading that you didn't actually do the work yourself. Differential equations aren't something that you just look at and immediately know the answer to, unless you have a lot of experience with them.

If I were grading your exam I'd fail you for cheating. Not the first time I've done that.

when you have to do 20 transformations from cartesian to polar form to solve a power circuit let's see you waste time doing it in your head. [spoiler] professors don't care if you can solve stuff at all when literally your phone can do it. this isnt (((math))) major retard [/spoiler]

Newton's second law

Maybe in industrial gas processing (your field) but in aerospace we do.

>There are professors shitposting on Veeky Forums at this very moment

>math major is about calculations

Differential equations is useless shit beyond the basic ones like separable equations and 2nd order homogeneous equations.

they let you do it after you get past arithmetic

I've used linear algebra many times professionally but have yet to find anything useful to use dq for. At least the differential equations professor had a huge rack. Too bad about the butter face.

>using calculators in Calc I, II, III
>using calculators in Diff EQ
>using calculators in Linear Alg
>using calculators in Analysis
I'd say they prevent you from using calculators once you get past arithmetic. Not the compliment.

maybe if you go to a brainlet uni or are still in high school
I was never allowed to use a calculator in calc 1,2,3, diff eq or linear algebra

They made the actually arithmetic easy, because they're not testing you any more if you can count and multiply/divide

Linear algebra and ode are useful but only by numerical methods. All engineering programs should require a numerical methods course but you can only squeeze so much in one degree.