Favorite words/names to mis-pronounce

what are the most pseud-triggering mispronunciations?

put yours, other anons will guess who/what is meant.

easy mode:
>go-turr

>Americans pronouncing any non-Spanish foreign word ever
Here's the thread summarized for you.

no need to have a party. dont even invite anyone. will just be a bunch of friends drinking and telling jokes and laughing. so predictable, we might as well just pack it up.

O B S E S S E D
B
E
S
S
E
D

KAHMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NEEEEEETCHEEEEEEEEEEE

BALLSACK

That supposed to be Goethe?

lmao

too obvious to even write down

"year-o"

>*puts dick in mouth*
>Dahved Fhoshtor Whalhash

DUCE EX MACHINAY

I knew a guy in high school who pronounced Nietzsche as "knee-etch". Fucking triggered me every time.

>Nitch

vi veni veniversum venus vici

IT WAS IN THE MOVIE
IN THE FUCKING MOVIE
THEY DIDNT EVEN CHECK
FUCKING ALAN MOORE

>Versails

My ex continued to pronounce it like this even after I pronounced it correctly dozens of times

>click

Well, what is the correct pronunciation? Enlighten us, please.

>say laah vee
>day ja woo

Vehxsa'ee

Pendantic

"Back"

"Handel"

Just stop.

Don Keyhowtey

Also hear 'nee-chee' a lot

The funniest shit

Ver-sy

>>>>>choppin'

Nomenclature
Makes people so mad

How do you even pronounce Kierkegaard, i say kirk-guard because i usually dont give a fuck.
I listened to the In Our Time episode on Borges the other day, the whole episode Melvin said 'Bore guess' while the guests all said 'bour hess'

How do you even pronounce Nietzsche, I always feel like im saying it wrong

I've only heard it
KEER kuh gard

Neet-cheh
People get autistic about it because the German phenome for zsche doesn't really exist in English and has spawned a bunch of retarded shit like "Nitch" and "NEE CHEE"

I had a lecturer pronounce it "koi kuh goir"

keer-kuh-gore

I was pronouncing Goethe in a literal way until I heard it said on some YouTube video and realised what a fool I'd been.

So very glad I never said that in public before I found out.

Wehr (as in Wehrmacht) - sigh (as in the Wehrmacht lost, *sigh)

I've heard KEER-har with a weird breathy 'h'. Fuckin Euroids

There's probably a more accurate way to pronounce it phonetically but at that point you might as well get anal about EEYEWLEEUHS KAISAHR and YESHUA KRISTOS.

I always pronounce wehrmacht as "were-makt." I guess that's wrong huh. Good thing I've never said this word out loud and only pronounce it in my head.

pin-shen rather than pinch-awn

I know the common pronunciation is "kneet-cha", followed by "kneet-che". But what is the actual pronunciation? I suppose it doesn't really matter, being as you can pretty much assign any word to any collection of sounds, when regarding names.

I love the Catholic poet Dante,
Why is he not yet made a saint?

Knee Chee

How do you pronounce it?

>This thread
>being triggered by pronunciations
Grow the fuck up. If you correct someone speaking english saying something non-english incorrectly you are a fuckhead and need to find better things to do.

>German phoneme for zsche
Doesn't even exist in German. It's just a spelling peculiarity.

>he can't pronounce ch
Chahahahahaha

No but seriously it's the same as Spanish "j" as in Guadalajara or Scottish "ch" as in Loch Ness.

Gurt.

>only pronounce it in my head.
I hope it's every night, in your prayers.

Basically every -e ending is turned into either AY or EE in English, it is infuriating.
No, it is not Dan-tay or Neet-chee, it is Dan-teh and Neet-cheh.

Also, basically every mythological Greek name.
>Zeus is turned to Soos
>Leonidas is turned to Leeo-NIE-duhs.
>Aphrodite is turned to Aff-roh-DIE-tee
>Aristoteles is turned to fucking "Aristotle", what the hell?

There is a huge difference between the Spanish "j" and the Scottish "ch". It's the difference between Kuchen (cake) and Kuhchen (small cow).

"bour hess" is how it is pronounced in Spanish. The other way is just an anglicisation, like how in the Taco Bell commercials say quesadiLa instead of quesadiYa

>kneet-che
comes the closest
something like "kneechè" would work too

KAHfka, like DFW pronounces it, always annoyes me

ger-tah

It's literally impossible to spell out like that so Anglos would understand it, just listen to a native speaker say it.

Shoe-pen-howza

Argentine Spanish is phonetically closer to Northern Italian dialects tho so the preferred pronunciation is bore GUEZ

Don't forget Rillkee or Holdarleen

>howza
you fucking what

I'm Danish and this is pretty accurate.
aa, or å, sounds nothing like a single a in Danish.

oe is similar to eh in get, except pronounced with the lips rounded throughout the vowel. It isn't a part of the English language, so most just use a burring err sound as a stand-in.

The th is just a hard T as in Table. Don't Americanise it by softening it.
The e is like the second vowel in the word comma.

Jim Joy-see

When people pronounce Goethe as Go-eth
Also, Don Quicks-oat

Don Quixote is hard to pronounce for someone not aquainted with Spanish phonetics, admittedly, but I've still heard some bizzare attempts
From Quicksottee to Kee-shott to Hihott, the latter being the closest to the actual pronounciation, but just leaving the "e" at the end out, probably in some confusion with french phonetics
americans man

>Kee-shot

That's how we pronounce it in Italy. Always made me curious if it had anything to do with France or something.

It's a cute mistake, and excusable.

Nie-tzsche

['niːʧə]

NEE (like in neat) - hard t followed by the first consonant of Sean - eh (like in bet)

Ger-teh.

Fuck off, Pedro. Don't be assblasted just because Trump deported your filthy beaner family.

>may may
It's pronounced MEEM you fucking retards.

Hahah
No

>laboriously explaining pronunciation with some bullshit you make up on thr fly

All you faggots need to learn the IPA already.

Two common names almost always mispronounced as--
C.S. PEERss
H.D. Thuh-ROW
Any volunteer willing to come forward to set the PLEPS straight?

>thu-ROW
I mean, "thor-ROW" is more accurate but there's really nothing wrong with that.
"eau" in French matches long O in English pretty directly.

If you can make one sound, you can probably make the other though. Try making one of them and moving it forwards and backwards in your mouth.

>If you can make one sound, you can probably make the other
As a Spaniard that has lived in Glasgow, fuck no they can't

Seems strange to me, the difference lies only in moving your tongue forwards or backwards.

I lived with another Spaniard and two Scots. The Spaniard's name was Javi, and the weegies always pronounced it Havi. We sat them down and tried to teach them to no avail.

And not even get me started on the trilled R's

don't even get me started*

Should have told them the J is like the ch in Loch.

It does, and it's probably the source of the error. The two names, pronounced correctly, have perfect English-word homonyms: purse and thorough. Charles S. (purse) Peirce, and Henry D. (thorough) Thoreau.
Research this even a little and youll see I'm right. If (you) visit Walden, this is the first thing they tell ((you)).

this thread is figuring out how to trigger people you eager faggot

is it "jay are" or "junior" for the william gaddis novel. there is a correct answer for this

Until a few years back I pronounced Descartes "dess car tees".

this is the only correct (as much as you can be in english) answer. you have to twist your mouth on the last syllable and autistically mumble it for the full effect.

when we were teens, my friend and i had a never-ending war on how to pronounce "soren kierkegaard." stalemate was broken when danish twins(!) transferred and vindicated me.

also got into some weird arguments about sartre (them: SART) and papyrus (them, inexplicably: PAP-eh-riss).

keer-ka-guard
SARTruh
puh-PIE-ruhs

I've never read V by Thomas Pynchon and I always thought it was pronounced "Vee"

My mom insisted on this pronunciation when I was a kid and I just wrote her off as a fag. Then I visited Concord to discover that she was correct.

what is it? five? ive always said vee, and ive definitely said it out loud a few times since its his only book ive checked out

wow, ive visited walden and didnt know that, fuck. purse is a great one. also barkeley (pronounced bark-lee)

After listening to some of his audiobooks i think he had a speech impediment, he sounds like he has a dick in his mouth.

it isnt? My lecturer called it 'Vee'.

I called 1Q84 by Murakami IQ84 for a long time.
I even corrected someone who said it right once.
I just assumed it was about a stupid person.

That's right, user. But it's spelled Berkeley pronounced BARKlee, the idealist English Philosopher.
When I started Proust (16) I inevitably pronounced it to rhyme with Faust. My mom corrected me on that one too.

*NEE (like in NEET)

Goat.

My way of explaining the pronounciation of Goethe to Americans is to remind them of the sound of the burger.

Take the sound that the u produces in burger, and add that into G_teh. Just say "burger" a few times and then slowly begin to ditch the first r after bu, and you will get a perfectly fine ö.

His name is pronounced suh-kuh-guh

En español, poned la boca como si fueseis a decir "O", pero decid "E" al echar el aire.

What the hell, that's the right pronunciation man

Who is Back supposed to be? Bach?

I always thought Goethe was pronounced with a scandinavian ö?

Hey, my mom used to correct me to!