Genre fiction is awf-

>genre fiction is awf-

>I hate wome-

10/10

I need to go back and reread this beast. Wolfe being better on the second read is a reliable meme, plus when I read it through the first time it was intensely interesting and comfy.

Bloom is our modern Critic. Bloom praises Le Guin, as she is legitimately good. Le Guin praises Wolfe, as he is legitimately good.

People who do not read dismiss him, but these people need not be taken seriously.

Some genre fiction is good.

This book sucked dick. Inb4 some shitpacker talks about how the horrible prose and plot is like a shit-onion that you need to eat until it eventually stops being shitty.

let me guess you are the faggot that is always complaining about the flower battle

Who in the FUCK could hate the avern battle

i'm slowly reading all the "good" genre-fiction books and i was considering buying this too. What's so good about it?
So far i've read Solaris, Roadside picnic, Embassytown and Perdido street station.

-Unreliable narrator that's pulled off well
-Really fascinating setting that's unveiled to us pretty naturally over the progression of the story, rather than in "worldbuilding"/loredumps
-The unreliable narrator is also fairly interesting in his own right, even if he's not terribly bright
-Very allusive and allegorical, in the style of a work from the Canon
-Gorgeous prose

hi sam

I liked that part. It was everything else.

Fantasy novels can't be litera-

Someone into Piers Anthony?

Thank you.
What did you think about the first two?

Has Bloom ever commented on Wolfe? It seems like he'd be right up his alley.

He hasn't make personal comments, but he edited at least one essay that mentioned Gene Wolfe.

Dune is better

The idea of Bloom either never reading Wolfe or not caring about him upsets me more than it should.

Genre breakdown is a marketing gimmick for shops to spread stock out and narrow customer choice

Cause it means the literati are talking out of their arse?

More just that I want everyone to read Wolfe. Support from Bloom could go a long way. The idea of him never reading him hurts more than him not liking him. And if he didn't like him I'd love to know why. I don't think I've ever read a good criticism of Wolfe, it's always plebs who aren't used to thinking or idiots getting asshurt because he doesn't write characters who subscribe to their cutting edge progressive ideologies.

this book is boring and so bad

He actually got interesting criticism on First Things and by Marc Aramini. His book is interesting, but honestly too scholarly for me atm.

Aramini isn't a critic. I like his writing but he's pretty much purely an analyst. We need to understand Wolfe before we can praise him. Aramini just kind of treats it as a truism that Wolfe is the greatest writer alive before approaching any of his work and focuses exclusively on making sense of the symbolism and references.

This is literally the only exception though

You would be better off reading His Master's Voice by Lem and Buried Giant by Ishiguro.

This is hugely overrated as about the typical fantasy trash.

Roadside picnic was amazing, Solaris was good

>STEMfags can't wr-

desu I think the MC is a huge fucking cuck and don't see how he's going to finish the 3rd book and not leave massive plotholes.

Oh. OH. This would explain why the MC is such a little bitch towards the heroine. The scales have fallen from my eyes.

Surely that one butthurt Rothfuss fan won't show up in every single Wolfe thre-

Dune would have been better if it was written in something like the efficient way Borges writes, and it dealed directly with polical, scientific and philosophical issues rather than frame some weird action play around them; the parts of Dune that are actually a commentary on what happens on the book are way better than what it tries to be.

-ul

You can butter up Rothfuss' wank of a book with after-thought logic. That doesn't make it better imo.

You can even say he's garbage with woman and only gets mad pussy because he's basically the strongest most powerful wizard/warrior in the world, and he treats them like shit because he spent much more time with his dad learning the ropes of the moving circus than with his mom and that left him with woman issues. OR... we can just admit Rothfuss wanted to convert some sort of D&D campaign and his diary into a neat story about a guy with access to high-fantasy magic in a medium-fantasy world, and that is okay.

wtf i love genre fiction now?

Yes you do.

how does this change anything about genre fiction being awfully good fun?

>setting that's unveiled ... naturally over the progression of the story
>rather than ... loredumps
ah, yes. let me just read "a note on the translation," and the appendices (which are, for some reason, in the beginning) "social relationships in the commonwealth" and "money, measures, and time" before i dig into this setting—which i expect will be revealed to me gradually.

Dune isn't even the best science fiction.

Ah yes, Don Quixote, a masterpiece of subtle satire. It definitely didn't have a prologue where Cervantes explained things directly to the reader about the nature of the manuscript - which is what Wolfe did.

Uh, he got one shot off camera...

cool audiobook cover bud

should i read this wolfe book? i saw sam hyde memeing him and just sort of lost interest

>i saw sam hyde memeing him
What?

He refers to it a couple times and discusses it on his hydewars channel, he says it's his favourite book after it having been recommend by Charles or something like that. He's a bit of a genre fiction fag

If his favourite book is Book of the New Sun then he's unironically more patrician than at least 90% of people.

90% of people are human trash and are not worth considering as sapient, that's not saying much

Sounds like you've been watching too much Sam Hyde. World Peace was some of the most entertaining television I've seen in years but nobody should watch a miserable asshole rant into a webcam for hours on end.

It's ok because I'm also a miserable asshole

So what do you need him for?

It actually makes me angry that anyone would put Rothfuss on the same level as Wolfe. Rothfuss deserves to roll in the mud with Brandon Sanderson and George RR Martin.

congenial humour? I don't need him, I think he's amusing and I like his misanthropy

Malazan.

I don't really enjoy genre fiction in literature. It works better in animation.

Literary genre fiction isn't genre fiction, it's literature.

Remember, also, that genre != SFF. Historical novels were and are looked down upon -- but no one's gonna shit on Il Nome della Rosa. As with detective fiction, but we have Chesterton.

Malazan is about as close to literature as my Degenesis campaign set in the Balkans.