Hey guys, I'm making a super basic from scratch tomato pasta sauce, I thought I'd walk you guys through it

Hey guys, I'm making a super basic from scratch tomato pasta sauce, I thought I'd walk you guys through it

Other urls found in this thread:

cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015181-marcella-hazans-bolognese-sauce
youtube.com/watch?v=HP9doLye26I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

In the pot I have
3 small diced onions
7 cloves of garlic sliced super thin
Just sweating it down till translucent no color on the onions and garlic at all.

>onions
ruined imo desu baka
I've never understood what people get out of onions in tomato pasta sauce

I just added four cans of whole San marzano tomatoes to the pot then just let it hang and reduce for a few hours. Set the heat to pretty low the sauce doesn't scortch and stir ever so often.

Hey man, I add the onions and reduce them for the sweetness that comes forward when sweated and then basically stewed in the sauce as it reduces

Hey OP, do you not add any spices to this?

hope he adds semen

maybe I'm using the wrong onions they always turned out really sulfurous. for sweetness I always just added basil.

>garlic and onions in the same sauce

mama mia, into the trash.

Twist: He finishes the sauce with maple syrup and bacon.

what's wrong with onions and garlic in a sauce?

nah man I don't season with anything till I'm just about done with it since the liquid in the pot is going to reduce by about half.

I use regular Spanish yellow onions, pretty basic. I add basil about five minutes before it's done so that way it can cook some but won't over cook and turn bitter.

I just tried to make arrabiati sauce. Tastes far too sweet wtf. Why does everything I cook taste bad?!

Hey guys so the tomatoes are finally starting to break down we have about a half hour till I can add the basil and oregano.

So I've added about a bunch of basil and about half a bunch of oregano and a half cup of butter. All that's left to do is blend it and season with salt.

>i don't season the sauce until it's almost done
this is a real person

add some cocoa, just a bit. it'll 1. taste better and 2. take some of the sweetness away, as pure(proper) cocoa powder is bitter.

Jesus christ this thread and sauce is shit.

Here you go from my Sicilian mother:

Fry some garlic in a pot with olive oil, add one can crushed tomato and one can tomato puree (you can add some tomato paste if you want for a little body).

Add whatever fucking spices you want, oregano, thyme, couple bayleafs whatever the fuck you want. This would be the time to add some kinda meat if you want too.

Bring to one boil and then simmer with lid for at least an hour. Take lid off if you want thicker sauce.

tldr: don't add fucking onions to your gay ass sauce.

Sounds gross.

Too much onion. Next time use maybe 1/3 of that.

No carrots? No celery? No paste? No olive oil?

This isn't tomato sauce. This is ass sauce. Also you fucked up the herbs.

Look, here's how to make a basic marinara. These other faggots, like you are fucked in the head. Saute @ 1/4 cup onions in EVOO until translucent. Add a couple finely chopped cloves of garlic, some dry pepper flakes and a bundle of thyme sprigs. After 1 minute add 1 qt of San Marzano or home canned whole tomatoes with juices that you crush by hand. Simmer 45 minutes to 1 hour. Salt to taste, add fresh basil for the last minute. That's it. Simple as shit. Oh, and oregano only belongs on pizza, so fuck off oregano fags.

>Here you go from my Sicilian mother:
>canned tomato sauce
What did he mean by this?

>using EVOO in cooking
nigga thats for dressing at the end, cook in regular olive oil

Add about half a teaspoon of fish sauce when you add the tomato sauce, OP. If you don't have mushrooms in your final dish, it adds the extra bump of flavor you'll want.

I added some actually right at the end just a little bit, it was huge on the umami

Never ever ever use EVOO to cook. Your basically just throwing money away since all is flavor dies when you cook with it. It should only be used for finishing a dish or in a dressing.

EVOO smells so bad

1.Adding meat that late?
2.This is just a "fuck my shit up" grandma sauce.
Ok guess that's why they call Italians the niggers of the Mediterranean

For real, use butter it's fucking waaay better.

Looks good OP. Fuck the haters.

Too much onion already OP, and adding the garlic this early was a mistake. Your garlic will be burnt by the time those onions are sweet enough, and burnt garlic is bad.

This is true. Olive oil and EVOO are 2 different things. The former has a higher smoke point. EVOO will scorch and burn pretty easily. Highly recommend avocado or grape seed oil.

Plus extra virgin oil tastes horrible in sauces.

do you guys add a ladle of pasta water to red sauces?

I completely forgot that butter was a thing. Being a vegan ruined me

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT LEAF AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POT

IT'S A BAY LEAF FOOL!

real italian tomato sauce needs a bit of fish sauce added at the end for umami

>doesn't add milk to cut the acidity of the tomatoes, increasing pH

Tell your mother she's shit.

t. Actual Sicilian.

>adding milk to sauce

Explain. please?

It's a thing, popularized by Marcella Hazan.

cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015181-marcella-hazans-bolognese-sauce

>milk instead of cream
This whole thread is amateur hour

> Sicilian doesn't know the difference between a bolognese and tomato based sauce.

Puree is different from sauce, nigger.

>cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015181-marcella-hazans-bolognese-sauce
>need to subscribe to read the fucking article

Fuck off

If you cook the fucking tomatoes for my than 20 fucking minutes it won't be acidic you enormous faggot

That's a Boulognese you fucking dense idiot

This thread proves why southern europeans are literally niggers

youtube.com/watch?v=HP9doLye26I
best

>my sicilian mother
not italian

Admit it, your mother fucked up.

Next time, don't try to pass off your disgusting family as Sicilian. It's embarrassing for propers.

why are meds so fucking obnoxious. "authentic" recipes are fucking garbage btw. "real" mexican food was literal slop until americans got a hold of it

MAKE AND SHOW YOUR OWN GOD DAMN SAUCE IF YOU KNOW SO MUCH BETTER *BUUUURP*

Why would anyone want to be known as Sicilian? I know a guy with Sicilian parents, and he's arrogant, obnoxious, and his father is a wifebeater.

Don't be so hard on him, it must be hard having clothing items as parents.

I don't get it. I think you must be too Veeky Forums for me.

I shouldn't be surprised that there are this many people on Veeky Forums that know nothing about cooking, but I am

nobody does that, literally nobody

>SHOW YOUR OWN GOD DAMN SAUCE
Why? It would look pretty much the same. But it would taste better.

"no color"
the caramelization will not exist to make the garlic bitter.

i answered someone else and read on... i'm surprised also! it's not even funny.

some of these fuckers probably add sugar to their sauce.

It's something he heard one that he mindlessly repeats

You get better flavor out of oregano if you add it when there's only oil in the pan (around same time as garlic). Same reason you do it with red chili flakes: You can extract more oil-soluble flavors that way than letting it stew around in tomato water

This (if you're using dry).

Fresh herbs are a different story though. You lose far more volatile compounds by cooking longer than you gain from dissolving in oil.

Dry herbs go in earlier
Fresh herbs go in last few minutes

Marie plz go