/CG/ - Chemistry General

The five stages of a DCM extraction edition

>Denial: "The emulsion will break eventually"
>Anger: "Why the fuck does this always happen?"
>Bargaining: "Maybe if I add more DCM, I can get two layers? Or brine?"
>Depression: "The solution's way too large to handle now, nothing to do now but put it all on the rotovap and start over."
>Acceptance: "I got a black tar off the rotovap, but if I go home now at least I can get six hours of sleep"

Post your research experiences, courses, anything chemistry related.

Other urls found in this thread:

Veeky
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>experimentalists

Theoreticians welcome too, but you have to punch your balls before posting to make up for all the pain you never experienced in the wetlab

>It's an the oil in my kitchen went rancid episode

chemical physics vs physical chemistry

go

Kek this made me smile.

We legit had this problem for months, we later switched to acetonitrile and our lives were immediately better

How do you like that textbook op

Try 1:1:1
n-hexane:diethylether:DCM instead
Depending on what you're extracting of course.

My school has separate research departments for Chemical Physics and Physical Chemistry within the Chemistry department. Chemical physics seems to be more physics than chemistry, and physical chemistry is vice versa, based on their respective research groups.

For example, I'm in the Chemical Physics category and my research is in theoretical quantum dynamics.

>lost product of a 2 day synthesis because the rbf slipped off into the rotovap bath.

God I'm so relieved I left catalisys/org. synth., gonna learn to program and never wash any glass anymore.

>Freshmen lab students mixed phosphate buffer solution with 2 molar hydrochloric acid "by accident"
>1 liter of buffered hydrochloric acid and fucking milk because the professor said one team "accidentally" dumped all their samples, including milk, in the waste beaker
>Boss gave it to me to neutralize and clean
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Any recommendations for someone wanting to self-study some chemistry? It's been years since I last took a chemistry course so I'd like to start from square 1.

>when the product precipitates

>when the eluent is shit

wow, could you tell me what this is? looks thicc and colourful as fuck

A buildingblock for a pigment. We're making dyes with high absorbing properties for electric elements. It's a nightmare to clean tho, this stoff colours a lot of solvents in incredible low concentrations.
It's something like pic related.

I started my own thread without checking the catalogue first, and that failed miserably. So I'm bringing this up here.

Say I'm in the generic wilderness (think typical Naked and Afraid survival setting), and I need to make Potassium chloride for an electrolyte drink. Is there a way to harvest or synthesize this from stuff in the wild? I hear hardwood Ash has potassium carbonate in it, can that be easily synthesized to the chloride salt with primitive tech? If not, can I take in that potassium carbonate straight up safely? Thanks in advance.

Desu you can just drink seawater or if you really want a fancy electrolyte drink you can make basic saltwater from rock salt. Though "electrolyte drink" is an American meme thing and should not be taken seriously by anyone.

labn bought a 3k device that just percipatates solute grom dsolvent phase

Sea water only has trace amounts of potassium. This "electrolyte drink" is like a survival kind of drink. Something to take when one is forced to fast when he is unable to find food.

Electrolyte just means ions aka salts aka dead sea water. KCl is unnecessary for it to be an electrolyte unless I'm missing something, there is no reason as far as I can imagine why NaCl would be worse than KCl

What is this called?

should I start picking up more physics if I do a masters in chemical physics? or would it suffice by reading papers and so on? (I'm interested in spectroscopy)

pick up atkins chemical principles and do all exercises

Obviously overpacked column
>it's the eluents fault!

It was 2 g maximum.

pretty nice, although working with dyes all the time must be a pain in the ass

Well, there are a number of biological functions dependent on potassium ions, you have to consume potassium

also for you, you don't necessarily need the chloride, the potassium is the important part, you can get some chloride by eating salt and shit
you could just make a solution of the potassium carbonate and drink that (although you might want to watch out, I don't think you need that much)

In other news, what's the best commercial product to extra DCM from. Asking for a friend.

extract*

Black tar heroin or h2o2

No. My friend wants to know where to get DCM not what to do with it after he gets it.

>this methanol isn't boiling very smoothly
>I know, I'll add some boiling chips
>WHOOOSH

A mistake I'll only make once

Got an A on my Inorganic Chemistry exam,which is pretty good,I guess.I'm studying Pharmacy and never understood why the fuck we are studying the same amount of Chemistry as actual chemists.I get that it's a field,which is strongly related to Chemistry,but come on,couldn't they spare us a few things?

>we are studying the same amount of Chemistry as actual chemists
I'm pretty sure you're not

Depends how much experience you have with quantum mech. I took all the quantum and computational chemistry classes I could in my undergrad since that's what interested me, but that's not the case for most chem undergrads. If you do a masters in spectroscopy focused chemical physics you will most likely need to take at least one graduate level quantum mech course during your masters. Any quantum chemistry and/or group theory textbook would probably be a good priming.

can you guys recommend books that teach fundamental chem, biochem, and books that focus on protein? I don't know much about chemistry(I'm computer science guy) but I have to work with some protein modeling and stuff in co-op project

Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Chemistry_Textbook_Recommendations

Anything here would be a good start but probably not much on proteins.

Anyone here doing formulation chemistry? It feels like I'm doing engineering instead of chemistry.

Lehninger

Weird, we tend to use Ethyl Acetate because it floats on top and is usually organic enough to soak up what we need.

>Taking a round bottom at the end of the second last step of the synthesis out of a rotor vap, and dropping the round bottom into the water bath, and having to extract the dirty water to get your stuff back.
>Then having doing it with an oil bath at the final step.

>Have heat sensitive products that requires 200 + degrees to promote.
>Lab has no air conditioning.
>Have a hot day.
>Be amazed it actually converts the products.

>Doing gas sorption measurements.
>Remove solvent from the crystals.
>Under dry N2 until at the gas sorption machine.
>Open up to atmosphere to transfer to instrument.
>Immediately degrades due to 90% humidity.

F

The Molecules of Life by Kuriyan.

If I love synthetic chemistry but hate organic chemistry PhD lab culture (ie Carreira letter (sp?)), should I just go the analytical route?

what about inorganic syn. chem.? catalysts, ligands, etc.

Ooh, totally forgot about inorganic. I did a bit of organometallic stuff in undergraduate research but it was more geared towards organic synthesis applications. How does a typical inorganic lab day compare to a synthetic one?

we're up in the implying rigged cup come support the team

kek

i worked for 2 months at an inorganic lab, organometallic catalysis, and lewis acid base applications
it's pretty interesting, i worked mostly at a glove box instead of the fumehood, of course no colums, and a lot of NMR, IR and x-ray analysis - some may say it's boring or dull compared but it just challenges a different skillset, definitly more theoretical

>of course no colums
Very nice.

Even as an undergrad we had access to a biotage that'd run columns for you