Read, Expected, Got

This thread please

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Cmg4fV5mAKs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

template

I may have put too much effort into this.

These are never funny
They're only relatable to the point of "oh I get it"
Why do these threads still exist?

>it's only good when it makes ME laugh

They're supposed to make anons interested or uninterested in the book.

Because they are relatable. They aren't meant to be hilarious, it's just a meme format. Like the iceberg memes. Not meant to be just joke images, but to be informative as well. They provide a generalization of a book with an element of personalization letting you see what a certain reader thought of it, and how they view the aesthetics in the book through the images they choose to represent it. Now if we each discussed the reasoning behind our choices, then the threads would have more substance and apparent value. But either way it is an interesting thing, with humor being just a part of the whole. It's pretty narrow to think of these as just 'oh-I-get-it's. They are windows into individuals in a sort of critical and review-esque form towards the book being portrayed. They are abstractions that ultimately bring the community closer together in their shared understanding.

Kek
This one is very true

postmodern af

sorry user but it is retarded.

Is this OC? Because I've bought it and am unsure if this turns me on or off of it

needs more yams

broh do you live in the 21st century

OC is back on the menu, boys!

Liceale spotted

Accurate

How can one single man be so utterly correct about everything, holy shit!

because tbqfhwy lit doesn't have too many/good memes

kek

Not a bad read.

not enough aliens.
Seriously that was book was kinda shit.
Possible shittier because it was so hyped up but still üretty meh.

So is it worth reading, then?

kek

my oc

Second this, I read it few weeks ago expecting some sort of intellectual 40K universium with power and some serious predicting what future can be; no. I got muh power of technology, mathematics and importance of minimization, lots of dumb characters and see-trough plots. Way he tried to capture run of our own history >mysticism>trade>ideology>utopia was shit.
I don't even know why I read all three. I was planning to read others related to Foundation, but original trio was shit, so I guess I'll never give Assimov chance again.

I have it on my table prepared right now, is it worth it?

yes, it's extremely good

Yes, but only if you disregard Veeky Forums and /pol/'s interpretation that this has to do with politics.
His stuff about dealing with your own death is unbelievable courageous.

It took me the first third of the book to realize that shit was gonna drag on and the actual post-apoc was not the point of the book, and those cockteases sprinkled all around the book were going to be the whole thing about it.

imagefag here, I've read the whole trilogy but I don't think I'm interested enough to read the prequels/80's sequels. I may be genuinely retarded but I swear to god I didn't see some of the most obvious twists coming. What did it for me was not the worldbuilding or "so deep social commentary" about plutocracy/theocracy/democracy but the interactions between characters and the quaint "there's lasers and spaceships and shit but we've still got newspapers and punch-card computer outputs because fuck you"

That I forgot. It was like fist on the eye. Too big to overlook it in overall rating.

How dense and hard to understand is GEB? It seems like it touches on a lot of concepts I'd been looking to read about, in terms of neural emergence and such.
Can I go in blind?

little bit. Only half way through after months though, gah

The author sets some excercises/thought experiments for you to do as you go and unless you have some maths/puzzle solving ability it's going to be pretty slow going if those kind of things don't come easy to you. It's possible but it will be slow, and if you skip them you'll miss a lot of what he's talking about and start to get lost.

What's this book about? I've been seeing it everywhere recently

His stuff at the end about how "Therefore, we must completely destroy existing civilization!" is pretty Quixotic and ridiculous.

His semi-Nietzschean analysis before that, though, about the ills of modern civilization and of a special form of the leftist mindset is pretty spot-on; not groundbreaking, but if it had been written in a more polished prose, it could have been a part of the writing of almost any public modern rightist intellectual and at least be accepted as a valid theory to argue for or against.

They're pretty funny sometimes to me, maybe you just don't have a sense of humor.

However, I've been here for a few years and have seen a lot of these threads, so I'm with you that it's getting harder and harder for them to make me laugh.

That pic in the middle though ... are feminists really denying that due to physiological differences men are almost always naturally stronger than women and more equipped to physical work? I'm no fascist but this seems to me like basic biology.

>Louis CK
>I Noah guy

OK, you got me. I'm officially a redditor for laughing so hard at something so stupid.

Not only that, but one of the "arguments" I've heard is that, even if there IS biological differences, what should we do? continue to let men be hyper aggressive because of their testosterone?
It's pretty mind boggling, because in the same breath they are admitting that there are differences and there aren't.

Video related
Forgive the cringe title.
youtube.com/watch?v=Cmg4fV5mAKs

there are differences, but why treat eachother like shit if we can help it? We're naturally more aggressive, so it makes sense that we're usually ahead of the game after so long, but in this day and age why should we? Surely no one agrees that we should keep women down. They assert that they are being kept down and other assert that they are not (anymore). Just let folks do what they want to do

I'm not sure what you mean by treating others like shit.
Natural biological differences in the sexes doesn't mean we're pieces of shit to eachother.
Naturally aggressive doesn't mean we're out there raping women because of it.
>it makes sense that we're usually ahead but in this day and age why should we?
I don't really understand this question, but it sounds like you're saying those fucking white males need to be knocked down a peg?
How exactly are women being kept down?

>I'm not sure what you mean by treating others like shit.
i mean some people do think this way. Consciously or unconsciously. Not that you're saying that.

>I don't really understand this question, but it sounds like you're saying those fucking white males need to be knocked down a peg?
not at all what I'm saying. I'm posing a question.

>How exactly are women being kept down?
again, im not saying they are or they arent, i'm presenting the argument as I understand it. The crux of the matter lies there, and that's where either side should attack or defend it, not on the undeniable differences in physiology.

Completely misread your post, apologies.

>on Veeky Forums
>hasn't read TLOFIAT

im about to start chapter 5

ending gave me goosebumps

no one treats women like shit
women get treated like spoiled brats

You're pretty dense then. I didn't like the book (and I have a tattoo from it) but that shit is literally told to you plainly and nearly right away.

The thing is the book was practically ready to tell you "and the world ended the next day" at any point and instead it decided to do things like "Her hair was orange, and well we all know how people evolved to have orange hair, it all started with the vikings..." and a hundred segways letter you suddenly realize the thing is over.

my Got and Expected are the other way round, excellent book

Top priority on my reading list user

How did you like it? Ovid

i am very interested in this one, could you elaborate on it please?

>I have observed this in my experience of slavery, - that whenever my condition was improved, instead of its increasing my contentment, it only increased my desire to be free, and set me to thinking of plans to gain my freedom. I have found that, to make a contented slave, it is necessary to make a thoughtless one. It is necessary to darken his moral and mental vision, and, as far as possible, to annihilate the power of reason. He must be able to detect no inconsistencies in slavery; he must be made to feel that slavery is right; and he can be brought to that only when he ceased to be a man.

Agreed. I don't really get the experiment he was trying with that book either.

It's really not, it's just an abridged version of Homer, Hesiod, Ovid, and co. for people who don't care to read them. If you've read them or plan on reading them there's absolutely no reason to read Hamilton.

women shouldn't be allowed to vote or use currency

Cum

I disagree but ok

I'll keep that in mind. I'm not exactly a STEM major but I have a pretty decent puzzle solving ability and a lot of willingness to learn.

What summaries I've read of GEB make it sound like it's an essential exploration of exactly the kind of themes I'm looking to read about. Is the rest of Hofstadter's work similarly themed?

"I am a strange loop" is quite good but it doesn't have the same kind of recursive formal structuring that makes GEB interesting.

It was more like this for me.

whats the tat?

> 88

Good job le edgy alt right man, you tell those leftards!

>üretty

germans out

Is that book any good?

Yep, it's a light read. Was expecting "WE WUZ" and "evil whitey", but it's actually a fair take on African culture and how it interacted with colonialism when it came knocking (the latter taking up probably just a third of the book, surprisingly).