What's Your Number?

Early 2018 edition

topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2018

Other urls found in this thread:

topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2017/natural-sciences
shanghairanking.com/Shanghairanking-Subject-Rankings/mathematics.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

top 200 or some shit, country sucks user and I'm too much of a brainlet and poor to be tenured to go overseas.
One girl I knew went to the US, she was probably 3 to 4 stdev above mean IQ.

La mejor del mi Brazil bitches

441-450

tfw the number is so high they stop giving you a specific number

>reputation
>international students
nice (((criteria)))
Might as well ask me what I think the best uni is

Does the rank actually matter? I’ve been going over statistics regarding the topic and it seems to be largely irrelevant.

Well it makes sense that better unis attract more students from abroad. It weighs only 5 % anyways.

7 but that is way overrated by research and foreign students.

240. I got accepted into 50 but didn't take it

Woooo

>234

End me

anyone else /number 1/ here?

class of 2017 computer science reporting in

>not even listed

13, feelin lucky.

i'm curious...why are there so many anglos on this board?

t. bong myself @ #5

67, not too bad I suppose.

wtf how is McGill 32

Seems really field specific, good unis sell connections and resources. You could probably get similar results at a state school if you tried but at that point it’s because you have high aptitude.

I don't really know, I only started to realise about a month or two ago. How is cam? Little gutted I didn't get in, but won't let it keep me back.

There should be a britbong takeover.

thats what i get for going abroad

Good enough

>13
>4
These aren't Anglo user?

109 lol
not too bad

Not on the list...

Guessing you live in a 3rd world country

#170 global
#1 in country
#24 in engineering (2017)

I go to the Colorado School of Mines bruh

RIT. It's not listed.

Used to be at 34 (University of Manchester) before dropping out.

Now at 101 (University of Leeds).

Am I doing okay?

Bretty good

Considering you post on Veeky Forums probably not.

Why are faculty to student and international students things?

Or international faculty? All these seem like BS.

Academic reputation, employer reputation, and production of peer reviewed work should be all that matter.

These rankings aren't very good

The higher amount of international students show that it's a better university, since it shows that people aboard pay extra to attend it.

338, could have gotten better but i don't wanna move anymore south then this

Yeah, these rankings seem a *little* bit off.

>MIPT
>355
Why are americans still scared of russia?

I go to a satellite campus but UT Austin is 67 and UT Dallas is 421-430 so it's eh

>41
still thinking that ranking >(>) acing and living your field.
Who gives a fuck about ranking as long as the university aint top in the very specific field you doing post-doc in.

The UT satellites are straight trash. You couldn't pay me to go to one

fuck joe shepherd amirite

No. It shows the university isn't adequately funded or that the university isn't loyal to its populace.

701-750

Gotta be honest, that's way higher than I thought for the joke school that I went to.

eu tb
que curso vc faz?

Yeah, but what can you do? I'm just glad to not get any debt and that ABET.

Past 550 with very high research output. Will most probably do my master in the 151th.

Is it ok guys?

8, moving to #5 for my PhD this fall

kys potheads

>MIT

Nice, what department are you doing it in?

>mit sucks because they're acceptance email is cringey
I'd be salty too if I couldn't go there and I'm not even an MIT student

>Didn't grind my academic stats to try and get
accepted into a prestigious uni in the top 50
>Settled for my state uni (below 500) instead
Fucking sucks. Should I consider transferring to a top 50 uni or should I just get my degree here and try to make a name for myself outside of academia? It's not like I'm excelling at my uni's studies either, though I manage reasonably well in gen-ed topics and sail smooth in my major (math) related classes.

If you aren't excelling at your universities' studies, what makes you think you deserve to transfer to a better institution?

you know the avg iq of brazil is sub-90, right?

Why would northeastern be at 346 and umass amherst at 249? Other rankings put northeastern ahead of umass amherst

Lads, I live in the third world but have European citizenship
I'm going to try to immigrate and I'm wondering where I should go. I want to study physics, but to also have the opportunity to study some humanities. I also would like somewhere which isn't cloudy all year.
I speak fluent Italian, so I thought about going to Pastaland. However, their Unis are always shit in these rankings. Does it really make any difference? Or should I aim towards something else?

For a global ranking the list seems too anglo centric and having two random Singaporean unis no ones ever heard of in the top 20 makes me think they paid their way into the list.

Is this ranking actually well respected? Because it looks like bullshit to me.

44 checking in, I'll take that.

>Is this ranking actually well respected?
No, never seen it used outside of Veeky Forums

>Brazilian and Mexican "universities"
>higher than any Swedish, Italian, Spanish and most French schools
yeah, nah

not bad

because our school forged the other rankings

Show me your skin.

Sucking nigger cock doesn't count as academic work outside your cuckholes. Dumb nigger lover.

No 33 boys? This saddens me.

UT Dallas is a good school, just really young.

Best from Brazil:121
Best Mexico: 122
Sweden has 78, 98 112
France has 43 and 59
Italy and Spain have shitty universities so its no surprise they are lower.

Same

Shouldn't we be using the Natural Sciences list?
topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2017/natural-sciences

only 70? this saddens me

69 in natural sciences

when qatar ranked higher than russia

I really don't see why /sci should care about fields outside of Science and Mathematics, let alone all the BS that goes into undergraduate rankings. The one flaw is that some fields like Economics, which is basically applied math even if it is applied poorly, are left out.

I looked at Vandie. It only considered their business school. Very flawed.

Vandy is a good undergraduate school. Is it considered a research institution outside of a few programs like business?

they have pretty good engineering I think

why did memeburger's school score higher than mine what a joke

>Vandy is a good undergraduate school. Is it considered a research institution outside of a few programs like business?

Yeah, it's reputation in the U.S. is solid for medicine and law, both seem to be around 10 - 20. Undergrad is probably the same. Not at Ivy League or Stanford/MIT level but still respected. It has a few schools and programs that are near the top, like education and music, and some that, well, aren't anywhere near the top, like business.

I did undergrad there, now at a big state university for my PhD. What's funny is that the only school ranking list that doesn't have my grad school higher is US News. Every other one, this list included, has my grad school much higher, in fact. Fine by me -- that and my program and my PI's name will go farther in shaping my career, anyway.

>going to melbourne uni

shanghairanking.com/Shanghairanking-Subject-Rankings/mathematics.html

Huh, I expected worse. I guess Van Aalst pumped up the citation count. That, or bitches know 'bout my Networks.

751 get on my level plebs

551 - 600, lol
moving to no. 23 come September for my masters

Same. Definitely not the 7th best University in the world (although UCL is pretty good).

100 International rating definitely helps, I'm 1 of 3 from London on my course. Probably around 20% are even from the UK.