Is Chiropractic a real science

Is Chiropractic a real science

Other urls found in this thread:

chirobase.org/17QA/sub.html
chirobase.org/01General/chirosub.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Main points are for against are,

- They claim to fix many things, which they do not (cancer….)
- People keep coming back to a chiropractor, because they are not getting better
- People can come out of it worse than they came in
- The sessions cost a lot of money, therefore scam artists
- Why do we even need them, we didn’t need them before

But then you can counter by,

- Manipulation of the spine treats nerves, which in turn treats the whole body and by this, the patient is not focussing solely on the spinal discomfort that they once had, which then promotes gradual healing of all areas (the body can focus on different things, this can be the same as when someone gets sick and their cuts aren’t healing as well)
- It depends on what the patient is doing with their occupation or free time, if they are not posturally correct when doing so this can create negative benefits for the patient overtime. The patient needs to train their body to support itself in positions that are beneficial. "Don’t go back to the doctor when you’re sick then"
- This is same for every field, if the doctor does not check, remember or follow their guidelines they can make mistakes and actually cause harm to the patients
- Depends on what type of treatment you get given
- It is non-invasive, so it will always be better than putting your skin to the scalpel

Im just wanna know your opinion Veeky Forums

>Manipulation of the spine treats nerves, which in turn treats the whole body and by this, the patient is not focussing solely on the spinal discomfort that they once had, which then promotes gradual healing of all areas (the body can focus on different things, this can be the same as when someone gets sick and their cuts aren’t healing as well)
literally a Placebo explanation. It's an indirect effect of not being in constant pain. Chiropractics always advertise their bullshit as direct treatments.

Lol no. At best they are a massage+placebo. At worst they will fuck up your back or neck. Thousands of people every year suffer extreme neck pain after visiting a chiropractor.

At worst you fucking die because they tore open a blood vessel in your neck and you have a stroke.

Also if you look into the training and business practices, it's a huge scam. They're trained completely inadequately to do anything health related and most of them run their practice trying to get as many people on the hook for multiple sessions a week indefinitely as they can.

Chiros that advertise this as direct treatments in that way are the bad apples in the profession. I also don't think its a placebo explanation and Id like to know why you think it is.

This is same for every field, if the doctor does not check, remember or follow their guidelines they can make mistakes and actually cause harm to the patients.
Did you not read?

Yes I agree, Chiros that sell additional "health supplements" as well are pretty much scum and fall under that list as well

No it's not the same, since every other field has been proven to actually do what it's claiming to do.

There are many cases of them doin neck work in children and then later they find the kids dead from a stroke. Chiropractors are lower than niggers, I put them with MLM essential oil mongrels

>Manipulation of the spine treats nerves
Proof?

People make mistakes and you claim that the whole profession is then fucked?

Im confused why you ask this

I also think that the media sets a lot of this bullshit up, because its based off a pseudo science with not a lot of people trusting it in the first place.

For ^^

What I mean by media bullshit is that you don't hear about every single screw up that doctors do

Medical practicing of any kind is now a science. you want medical sciences, not medical practicing.

I've been to one 3 times in my life. 2 were work related problems. The instant the problem area was
"adjusted" the pain and problem went away. I never did any follow ups. My problems were not being able to turn my head in one direction and my lower back doing the same thing. The car ride there was agony. The problems occurred right after doing hard manual labor when muscles started to tighten up and something got a tiny bit out of place. The 3rd problem was a dislocated elbow, which I couldn't put back in myself. Each of the 3 times it was very obvious that something was grossly out of place.

Aside from direct manipulation of joints, the only benefit from chiropractic work is the same as getting a massage only not nearly as relaxing at all. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have an obvious dislocation of some kind. Instead, go get a massage, if that doesn't take care of your pain you need to see a doctor or at least figure out why you have the pain. It could be something as simple as constipation or a kidney stone causing something like back pain. Or, for neck pain it could be just as muscle strain.

The main problem with chiropractors is there are so many quacks among them. In the USA, there are far fewer quacks, but they still exist. If you have to go back more than 1 time there's something wrong with what you are doing to your body and you need to figure out what that is.

There is no strong evidence that chiropractic work actually helps people.

I got a massage once didn't really help me health wise.
Didn't even relax me because I'm a high-strung mf

Highly, Highly agree with most of your statement except replacing the chiropractor with a masseuse.

Chiros (in general) are musculoskeletal and spinal experts, that can usually pinpoint the exact problem. Masseuses can give brief relief (ironic to chiro as well), but this will usually result in a bigger injury, because they are very limited to their knowledge on the body.

Also most chiros use masseuses (under the careful eye of the chiro) to loosen their patients up beforehand or after

If you have seen most chiropractic youtube videos, Im sure feedback from that will be pretty evident enough.

Ask him/her next time to really grind their elbow or somethin into you, youll really feel that ;)

Are you illiterate? The entire fucking field is a mistake, since it doesn't do what it's claiming to do.

Oh wow you're so right. Anecdotal evidence is super duper useful. Fuck where did I put that paper linking autism to vaccines? Since peoples shit awful memory and bias is useful for evidence we can consider that paper true as there was a whole part in it that hinged on subjective experience

I'm confused why you can't just give evidence that chiropractory heals nerves.

Claiming to do = Fix musculoskeletal problems
Actually do = Fixing musculoskeletal problems

I was recommending a massage when you obviously don't have a dislocation. The massaging of the muscles is most times all that it takes to get rid of a pain. I should also mention that the chiropractor can also be the one to give a massage. The ones in this area do both.

"treats"

Most nerve issues in chiropractic is just about alleviating pressure from the nerve

Sometimes I think posters like this live in some shithole of a country where just anyone can call themselves a "chiropractor" and claim pretty much anything (cures cancer!)

Chiropractors in Canada were caught claiming they can help people with viruses and infections.

Fun fact, there's no scientific evidence that shows chiropractors produce any long term benefit

When most people say that a movie is good, usually that movie is good. But never trust the critics just review it yourself, if you really want to know.

>- They claim to fix many things, which they do not (cancer….)

But it still provides relief?

Op asked if chiropractic is a real science. There's no objective evidence that supports it just anecdotal, which isn't useful. Not only that but their understanding of what popping joints is is not even correct.
Also read up on the origins of chiropractic

Fair enough

also yeah I read up on the origins of it, but you could also read up on the origins of original medicine and say the same thing, Witch Doctors everywhere scamming people.

I believe its a real science that is evolving for modern day use, to be a great alternative to surgery

>If you have seen most chiropractic youtube videos
Well you sure convinced me with that scientific analysis.

I meant that the origins of it involve the one paper that tried to make claims it was helping people and was proven wrong 200 years ago. The aliens thing is just funny.
A lot of og medicine before America was actually helpful. People weren't concerned about influenza cause they didn't know it was real, but they needed something for a fever (chew on cinchona bark) or a pain (willow bark) that was actually helpful. It wasn't until ultracapitalism and America rolled together that you get the scam artists.
>be a great alternative to surgery

>Heals nerves
>Fix musculoskeletal problems
Sorry which is it? Obviously I'm just not understanding the science.

"treats" nerves through the musculoskeletal system.
see

Ive been trying to find the paper, but cant, do you have anything else on it? or remember what its about? cheers

Yeah also good alternatives to oral medicines, i was mainly talking about the scalpel

> to be a great alternative to surgery
Yup totally not a scam pretending to do things it can't and stopping people from getting real treatment for serious conditions... You really proved your point.

The only thing that actually works in chiropractry is spinal manipulation therapy, but why would you go to a chiropractor for that when they add a bunch of nonsense to it and don't know what they're actually doing? Just go to a real doctor or physical therapist. The only benefit of chiropractry is therefore by complete accident and luck. It's not medicine and it's certainly not science.

There have been many legit doctors who have had their medical licenses stripped for similar behavior. It is a human thing, not a profession thing.

>add a bunch of nonsense to it and don't know what they're actually doing?

How do they not know what they are doing if they treat patients successfully?

Most chiropractors can also suggest that you could go to a pt or real doctor, if they are out of their element.

Most things are found on lucky accident, but it takes skill to actually recreate those accidents everytime

I wish I could. I know there are plenty of recent publications claiming it's both unscientific and doesn't help people.
The scalpel has evidence that shows you can fix a problem. If someone needs total knee replacement surgery a chiropractor can't do shit about it.

No you don't understand. A longstanding belief chiropractors hold is that ALL diseases originate due to spine issues, this issue holds today in many chiropractors. As a field it has been against vaccines (because if ALL diseases originate from the spine what good is a vaccine?).
At one point one of the founders considered making chiropractic a religion to avoid regulation on medical fields.
This isn't science. This isn't medicine. This is fucked.

I reckon thats just opinion then, because in my opinion it helps.

True in those instances, but mainly for herniated discs and stuff mainly relating to chiropractic problems.

wait no im retarded dw, dont read
>I reckon thats just opinion then, because in my opinion it helps.

Are you saying that all chiropractors believe in the same thing and there are no alternatives?
or are you just playing dumb

>This is same for every field
Uhhh, no, it's not. If a doctor makes mistakes, they can kill their patient. If a chiropractor makes no mistakes, the thing they intended to do can kill their patient.

No. There are two schools of thought and, thankfully, one school of 5Hough thinks to add actual evidence based medical treatments of other fields to their unsupported alternative medicine, whereas another school of thought (which exists today still) is that only the spine causes disease

>Witch Doctors everywhere scamming people.
Yeah, but you don't see witch doctors still running around. Chiropractors still talk about subluxations, though, even though there's literally no evidence for them.

They make the mistake on operating on them, part of a chiros job is to actually assess their patient

Ah yes, I forgot primary care physicians routinely perform major operations on everyone who walks in the door.

chirobase.org/17QA/sub.html
literally first site I searched explaining the definition of subluxation and why chiropractors operate on them

When you dont actually find a problem but operate anyway, there is a saying in gonsteads "if it aint broke"

so one will die out?

did you read the page?

>Unlike a medical subluxation that causes obvious mechanical-type symptoms that can be measured objectively, a chiropractic subluxation is often asymptomatic and not visible on an x-ray film.
>There is no evidence to indicate that simple vertebral misalignment, or any joint dysfunction in the spine, can cause organic disease. Chiropractic subluxations, as opposed to medical subluxations, cannot be confirmed or demonstrated in a scientific context. There certainly is no reason to manipulate the spine in patients who have no spine-related symptoms, or to adjust the vertebrae as a treatment for disease. For further information, see "Subluxation: Chiropractic's Elusive Buzzword."
chirobase.org/01General/chirosub.html

when a chiropractor talks about a subluxation, what they really mean is "an invisible, indetectable defect that no one can point to is making your allergies worse"

again, you miss the point. chiropractors take the place of primary care physicians for most of their patients. they're the first person the patient sees when they start to feel ill. if you're going to compare fields, you should be comparing chiropractors to general practitioners, who are not performing surgeries.

Your right
I just skimmed that thing trying to respond quickly

They don't treat patients successfully. They do nothing, make things worse, or make things better, all by accident. Taking random pills can also make you better, doesn't mean you know what you're doing.

well I don't know about all chiropractors but I can at least share my experience.
>have pain between my shoulder blades for at least 6 years
>done all sorts of exercises, stretches from personal trainers, gotten messages, etc. but nothing worked
>see a chiropractor
>he takes an xray, tells me I have mild scoliosis and signs me up for three appointments in the next week
>after the first session I felt better than I'd felt in years
>sessions drop to twice a week, then once a week and eventually once a month
>then one day he pretty much just tells me I really don't need to continue coming to him unless I really wanted to
>back pain is pretty much completely gone
>haven't seen a chiropractor in three years and my back is still just fine
it was pretty expensive though, but it was worth it.
people can shout the all chiropractors are scam artists and all I felt was a placebo effect. but if a placebo effect can permanently remove chronic back pain that's been there for 6 years I recommend placebos to everyone

>They don't treat patients successfully.

But they do.

I know 3 people who have visited a chiropractor and all 3 have been cured, myself included.

My worthless GP gave me painkillers and sent me off to a physical therapist who pointed a fucking laser at my neck for 20 minutes and then massaged it (which only made the pain worse). The chiropractor unfucked my thoracic spine 6 times and I haven't had any pain since.

Also The medical industry just pays big bucks to shit on chiropractors because they ruin their business by actually curing patients.

Then why do many patients go to a chiropractor for the same complaint multiple times a week for months to, sometimes, years?

I'd guess because chiropractic treatment probably isn't the solution for them.

I personally know 2 people who had major spine related issues caused BY chiropractors and who were told they were out of luck when they looked for the chiropractor to reimburse the medical costs for a real doctor, because they had to sign loads of papers before the chiropractor would do his work.

Before you let anyone 'adjust' you, ask if they would be arrested if they called them self a medical doctor.

100% of chiropractors will tell you to leave or give a bullshit response about being just as good, but not one of them will claim to be a MD.

>I know 3 people who have visited a chiropractor and all 3 have been cured, myself included.
If you're not going to read or respond to what I'm posting, don't expect me to.

if chiropractic treatment wasn't the solution for them, the chiropractor was either misinformed about the efficacy of their practice or defrauding them

Even though they have the degree for it?