Do you grow your own herbs Veeky Forums?

Do you grow your own herbs Veeky Forums?

Me? I have a basil plant but I'm wondering if I should try adding parsley or thyme since I use them so much.

Yes, see: Probably a new thread over there soon.

Yes, to your wondering.

I grow my own mint

>/out/ - Outdoors
b-but I grow them indoors

I have a potted thyme and potted basil on my window ledge in my bedroom.

I'd grow my own, but winter is right around the corner and I do not have a green thumb.

Do sorrel, chervil, and loveage since those are herbs you can't find in stores ever.

I can find chervil and sorrel but not lovage.

I used to have lovage. Then my perilla drowned it out. ):

Perilla, lovage, pennyroyal and various mints. The perilla, as said above, took over my back garden and drowned out my lovage. I'm not sure I'll see it back next year. ):

Thyme is easy as shit to grow. It thrives on shitty dry soil.

Parsley needs water and some nutrients, but too much water and they mold easily.

Basil is a good one since it's absolutely rubbish unless you have it fresh. Sage, oregano, coriander, parsley, rosemary, thyme, lemongrass, spring onion, dill, chillies all super easy to grow if you have sun.

If you can get a bay tree they're not so bad either, but harder than pot herbs to grow.

If I trim the ends of my thyme plant will it die or just grow back?

I have spring onion, garlic, dill, and sweet basil going.

I'm trying to grow coriander but it's like the world's most temperamental fucking plant. I had a plant growing but it bolted, died, and then I tried to germinate all its seeds and they all didn't germinate.

Yeah, I've got a rosemary that's growing out of control, and a little sage plant and some basil.

Every time I plant cilantro it sprouts up and only grows a couple leaves before dying so I don't know what I'm doing wrong

I also bought a lavender plant today but I have no idea what to do with it

>live in apartment
>Not enough sunlight
All my basil plants fucking die

put it next to the window, it might seem obvious but it took me a while to figure out

My basil went berserk this year (pic related). I wish there was a way to preserve it but dried basil tastes like ass.

You can always use it for pesto. That's what we do with the surplus.

Do you make a big batch of it and freeze it or will it keep a while in the refrigerator?

In my backyard I grow:
Mint
Basil
Thyme
Lemon balm
Rosemary
Basil
Sage
Marjoram
Chives
Parsley
Boston lettuce
Like 4 kinds of tomato
JalapeƱos and some wild dill just showed up in my garden but it came very handy

>tfw weather getting cold and everything's dying

You're supposed to cut the flowers. That way the leaves will grow more

These threads are still good in ck. Keeps some needed variety on the board. And still on topic to boot.

Flourencent lights are dirty cheap to run and buy. Even a shop light will work. But there indoor grow stores everywhere these days.

How's boston lettuce grow? Is it difficult? I've never tried growing it.

how hard is it to grow herbs indoors? i've been thinking about investing in a basil/cilantro plant since both are very good and much better fresh

i do thyme, basil, cilantro and parsley. it's good to not need for herbs. i take em as i need em or use some i have drying in the kitchen. it smells great also.

Pretty easy, as long as you have a window/artifical light bright/long enough.

I live in Virginia, I used to live in florida where we had sun and warm temperatures year round. How would herb growing work during winter months? Stick them indoors or just wait until springtime whenever that may be

We grow mint, thyme, oregano, basil, shishito, rosemary, dill, and chives. It's great having fresh herbs whenever you need them.

It will brow back.

In fact, it will probably branch out and grow even larger after being pruned. Most herbs are dirty little masochists who like it if you cut them a little bit now and then.

will growing those give you little flies and insects in the house or not? i would really love to grow my own greens inhouse, and just have plants in general, but i heard they give insects and flies and that's a no-no for me.

If you grow them inside their entire lives, you won't get bugs, but if you've had the pot sitting out all summer, you will get some bugs if you bring the plant indoors.

Hang a piece of flypaper from the plant so the bastards immediately fly into it and die when the emerge from the soil.

Watch out for slugs and snails. They go nuts for young lettuce plants and will devour them.

I've currently got basil, mint, and rosemary growing.

The g'damn basil and mint decided they want to flower despite the fact I've got them under 24/0.

I have green and purple basil, cilantro, oregano, citrus mint, Rosemary, parsley, majoram, lemon balm, thyme and a couple of other things I can't think of right now. You should grow whatever you have room for. I dry them and give them as gifts along with homeade jams and pickled veggies for Christmas.

Yup.

Been working on acquiring rare and expensive herbs that would cost me a lot at the store. Have all the common stuff already.